Leica M 10

rijve044

With picture. :)

Picture shows a protruding lens mount. Maybe to make camera a little thinner.

It is maybe to make it possible to go back to the 0,72 viewfinder magnification of the M2-M7 instead of the 0,68 of the M8, M9 and M 240.

Would've nice with the Noctilux and some other M lenses.

Well, certainly nothing particularly revolutionary or utterly compelling so far.  Certainly if the report of an upgrade to the SL sensor and TL-level EVF is the essence of the upgrade, there's not enough on offer to make me rush out to get in line.  It will be interesting to see if there are subtler improvements that make the notion of upgrading more compelling, we'll see.  

I'm not sure that there is anything that is revolutionary or utterly compelling these days. Photokina certainly didn't present anything revolutionary. Some could point to Hasselblad, but the X1D appears to come up short against the 007 in my mind. If this is the new M, and it is thinner and lighter, that is revolutionary enough for me. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It will be interesting to see if there are subtler improvements that make the notion of upgrading more compelling, we'll see.

Which has mostly been the case with new Leica releases, even the M262, which was just a simpler M240, was a revolution in shutter-noise: more silent than an M4 or M6

We'll have to wait and see for the back however; screen/no screen, thickness of screen etc.

Edited by otto.f

It is maybe to make it possible to go back to the 0,72 viewfinder magnification of the M2-M7 instead of the 0,68 of the M8, M9 and M 240.

Would've nice with the Noctilux and some other M lenses.

A higher viewfinder magnification requires a thinner body. 

I'm not sure that there is anything that is revolutionary or utterly compelling these days. Photokina certainly didn't present anything revolutionary. Some could point to Hasselblad, but the X1D appears to come up short against the 007 in my mind. If this is the new M, and it is thinner and lighter, that is revolutionary enough for me. 

True, but its not a matter of what was introduced at this year's shows, it a matter of what's been introduced since 2012.  Each of the three previous major M digital introductions have been just that, major. Nothing discussed so far strikes me as worthy of an M10 designation nor forking over $4K plus my M240.  Others may see it differently, of course.  We all assign importance or insignificance to any given set of traits.  In my case though, I've little interest in cosmetic updates. For a new M body to be compelling AFAIC, it needs to improve the shooting experience in meaningful ways that significantly impact the end result. Perhaps that will be the case this time around, perhaps not. Either way, it will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

I am a happy M9 owner. Simple and adequate is my mantra. More advanced technology does not help my work, but it might assist yours.

If one focuses only upon technological advances, then he is largely concerned with the market which helps no photographer except  the autobot.

Really! How much automation do your really need?

Edited by pico
  • Like 13

What is it with this obsetion with thinner body I don't get it ?

I do not find the handeling any different between my M3. and my M240

Most of us have the body in a half case anyhow

I have been crying for a thinner, M6-like body. Oh, that's just not possible, MANY people here have remarked in numerous thread.

Of course it was and is possible. And the body could be even thinner yet. The lens flange can be whatever width it needs to be, independent of the body width. 

Some may not notice, but it's very obvious to me when I pick up my M6 and then the M9. 

If it's thinner, it's going to sell, whatever some may say. :)

• Like 5

Technology allows me to shoot fast with compact cameras and to get clean high iso pics in total silence already. If Leica can do the same with the M10 or whatever, i will believe that for the first time, a digital M can reach or exceed the level of its film precursors.

• Like 1

I am guessing it was named M10 because it will have a ccd sensor like the M9.  If you disagree, a guy can dream can't he. 

LOL, logically we should have a menu of sensors, including CCD, BW, CMOS Standard, Hi Rez, and Low light. Sony already offers the last three choices in the A7 series. In fact the sony sensors would be fine also with thin cover glass, and the lens profiles, and probably cheap too. Sony would be very happy to sell to Leica, I'm sure, or anyone, or so they claim. 

The A7S ability to shoot very clean at incredible ISO with 12.2 MP would be really nice for an M body. Not to mention another sensor with 42mp, for those who need that for some reason. 

All that said I suspect the M9 "flavor" of 18MP and it's liquid kodachrome RAW engine will always have a place in the bag :)

25294927139_6f2ca70abb_b.jpg

M9 by unoh7, on Flickr

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 2

Most of us have the body in a half case anyhow

Most of us?

Ive been shooting with M bodies for 30 years and have never owned a half case...for that matter, I don't personally know anyone that uses one.

Smaller and lighter is always better for me...isnt that what makes the M appealing in the first place?

• Like 14