Leica M 10

rijve044

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My 2 cents... It's very early days and I'm still having to scotch tape a diopter in place so I can use the M10 without glasses (which does work OK in fact - though it looks ugly on such a nicely engineered piece of kit...)

As a glasses wearer what is the problem ?.......most cameras cause me some sort of grief but I live with it

That there are so many obsessing here about Leica Ms, and that the M10 appears to be in high demand in spite of the price, modest upgrades and a shrinking camera market, all show that the M still has plenty of life left in it.

To extend the evolutionary metaphor, it reminds me of an estuarine crocodile: a simple-looking but deceptively sophisticated beast that just got things right and hasn't needed to change much in the past 55 million years.

I still advocate for hybridisation if and when it can be done really well, but the current Ms have nonetheless hit a sweat spot.

And Sharks... ;)

My 2 cents... It's very early days and I'm still having to scotch tape a diopter in place so I can use the M10 without glasses (which does work OK in fact - though it looks ugly on such a nicely engineered piece of kit...)

As a glasses wearer what is the problem ?.......most cameras cause me some sort of grief but I live with it

Most of the time I don't use glasses.  I need them for driving, cinema/theatre, computer and reading.  But if I'm working with a camera I far prefer not to wear glasses.  I use a +3 diopter and this gives me a beautifully clear view.  With the M10 I can also see (a bit blurrily) all critical settings without looking at a screen.

Following recommendation from Jono I'm investigating monocular contact lenses, but the truth of the matter is that I quite like seeing the world (along with me - in my late 60s- and my aging friends) in a less cruelly sharp focus, and I actually enjoy that moment when I put a camera to my eye and the view clears.

Maybe not the standard way of looking things, but if I'm in the mountains with a cold wind and my eyes are streaming, or if I'm working on a theatre set, I'd rather not have to worry about having stuff propped on the end of my nose...

• Like 4

Thanks I guess that is one way and you seem comfotable with it.......I prefer to wear glasses most times I compose with a viewfinder with both eyes open, to me it was just a bit of practice and coping with some wierd shifts

Edited by epsonRD1
  • Like 1

Will anyone say anything about the most recent camera by Leica, the M10, any time soon?

Sure: I plan to see one in person. I plan to head up to the Leica Shop San Francisco next week, after I verify that they have one in stock for me to look at, with my M-P in hand so that I can see/feel both side by side for comparison purposes. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Overall impression?  It is possible that this is the last digital M I will need to buy.

WHY

Very funny, really a great joke.

Please give me a cent for every person saying : This is probably my last camera/lens ....       :D  :p  :lol:

I remember the X1D announcement. How many did say "It's so wonderful, this is going to be my last camera", and are now standing here and thinking about ordering the M10 ...

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 2

I have already decided to get an M10 or two depending upon income taxes I need to pay. While I can afford the M10, I keep to a budget established when I signed over my estate to my housemate. It is comfortable living with a  financial buffer leveled to middle-class income.  Even Leica cannot persuade me otherwise.

Is that not a German kind of economic philosophy? (I admire German ideas of cash vs credit)

• Like 2

Very funny, really a great joke.

Please give me a cent for every person saying : This is probably my last camera/lens ....       :D  :p  :lol:

I remember the X1D announcement. How many did say "It's so wonderful, this is going to be my last camera", and are now standing here and thinking about ordering the M10 ...

I have already decided to get an M10 or two depending upon income taxes I need to pay. While I can afford the M10, I keep to a budget established when I signed over my estate to my housemate. It is comfortable living with a  financial buffer leveled to middle-class income.  Even Leica cannot persuade me otherwise.

Is that not a German kind of economic philosophy? (I admire German ideas of cash vs credit)

I never say "never" but I'm pretty happy with the equipment I have now. I don't find myself overly motivated to buy anything. I'd love an X1D for the large sensor, but will only get interested to put money on the table when they offer the right lens for my intended use. I'd enjoy the viewfinder and sensor improvements in the M10, but only when they offer an equivalent M-D type model. Meanwhile, I'll keep on keeping on with what I have now, and sell off what I'm not using. 

Guest Leicanew

For those using the Visoflex on the M10; what data is available on the evf? is it the same as the information shown on the rear screen? is it customisable by any means?

Thanks for your help in advance!

It has GPS and without it you don't have GPS on your M10. It is not more or else customizable than LV via the screen. You can customize the colors in which focused areas are depicted, blue red white or green, and some others things which can be found in the manual on the Leica site

Guest Leicanew

It has GPS and without it you don't have GPS on your M10. It is not more or else customizable than LV via the screen. You can customize the colors in which focused areas are depicted, blue red white or green, and some others things which can be found in the manual on the Leica site

Thanks otto.f,

I am aware of the GPS add-on. What I am interested is in understanding what information is shown on the visoflex's screen while using it. Anyone using the EVF out there? also, is focus peak featured on the EVF?

Thanks!

Edited by Leicanew
  • Like 1

The information on the EVF is identical to the information shown on the LCD. Just download and look at the sections in the M10 Instruction Manual for "display" and "monitor".

There are too many specific entries to enumerate them all here. (Yes, focus peaking is one of the display modes.)

• Like 1

I just downloaded an update to PhotoRaw, an iOS raw converter. Amongst other improvements, it has been upgraded to support the Leica M10 DNG files. Very useful for those (like me) who use an iPad Pro as their on-the-road field computer.

iOS was also recently updated to v10.2.1 ... I installed on my iPhone and iPads yesterday, it works well.

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1