The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Leica M 10

• Please log in to reply
2550 replies to this topic

#2541 epsonRD1

epsonRD1

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:43

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)
or just continue here

#2542 holgerf

holgerf

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 1,079 posts
  • City / Ort:  Berlin

Posted Yesterday, 13:54

According to Sean Reid, the M10 is unable to do that.

Die automatische Wiedergabe kann – wie bei der M (240) auch auf AUS gestellt werden. Genau dann kommt es zu der Dunkelpause von einer knappen Sekunde. Das ist sehr schade, da es den klassischen „Nachschuss“ unmöglich macht. Dies kann die X-Pro2 tatsächlich besser, die in diesem Punkt mit einer DSLR vergleichbar ist.

Best

Holger

#2543 Mr.Q

Mr.Q

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:38

or just continue here

It's just confusing as hell when there's 3 different discussions going on about the EVF in one thread.

#2544 ramarren

ramarren

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 2,790 posts

Posted Today, 02:33

It's still a factor for those of us who have almost moved to the SL but want something handier for unobtrusive shooting with exotic lenses that require focus with peaking or magnification.  ...

Since buying the SL, I never used anything but M lenses on the M-P, changed to using the M-D. I use the 'exotic' lenses on the SL body, which is much better suited to them. The M body isn't any more handy than the SL for use with 'exotic' lenses ... It's less handy because of the add-on viewfinder. I find it pretty awkward to use with adapted lenses and only use it that way for copywork and macro photography. 

No it wouldn't... without the mechanical/optical rangefinder there is a massive amount of space that can be used, far more than is necessary... which is why I have always thought of two M bodies... an EVF M and an OVF M... as I have said before, some customers would by one, some the other and some, like me, would buy both.

By your own statement, it would require a major redesign and a different body: you've just said that you can't fit both RF and EVF into the M body at the same time ... that's pretty much what I said.  :rolleyes: 

I doubt that your "M pair" will ever happen. Maybe if they actually are building the "Q L-mount" camera, that will achieve what you want, with an adapter to fit the M lenses. Whether it will perform at the same level as the SL does is another question mark; the Q is very good, but doesn't have the electronics for as good an EVF or the high speed IO required. 

#2545 Bill Livingston

Bill Livingston

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted Today, 03:20

Since buying the SL, I never used anything but M lenses on the M-P, changed to using the M-D. I use the 'exotic' lenses on the SL body, which is much better suited to them. The M body isn't any more handy than the SL for use with 'exotic' lenses ... It's less handy because of the add-on viewfinder. I find it pretty awkward to use with adapted lenses and only use it that way for copywork and macro photography. 

By your own statement, it would require a major redesign and a different body: you've just said that you can't fit both RF and EVF into the M body at the same time ... that's pretty much what I said.  :rolleyes: 

I doubt that your "M pair" will ever happen. Maybe if they actually are building the "Q L-mount" camera, that will achieve what you want, with an adapter to fit the M lenses. Whether it will perform at the same level as the SL does is another question mark; the Q is very good, but doesn't have the electronics for as good an EVF or the high speed IO required.

You know that I have never suggested fitting an OVF and an EVF in the same body... so to say 'that's pretty much what I said' followed by a rolling eyes emoticon is pretty offensive and disingenuous. That first paragraph was just superfluous- apart from as an intended dig at those of us who have explained pretty clearly what we would like to see in the future.

As far as the second paragraph is concerned... it's clear that your lack of comprehension of what we were actually suggesting extends even further. Worse, to go your way, puts the M back into even more of a niche than it already is. The M240 actually gave hope that Leica were interested in developing the M into something that could gain new customers and embrace a very forward looking future.

Seems very few Leica users actually want that. And that is a great pity.

I want a small, beautifully made camera to use with my M lenses that uses leading edge technology to make the experience simple, clean and fast.

If I wanted big, fast autofocus lenses, and a camera that worked brilliantly with them, I would have bought an SL.

They are not the same camera and they will appeal to different customers/photographers.

If the M carries on in this trajectory, I will probably end up with a Q with a zoom and have a system far less capable quality wise, with auto everything.. which is not what I wanted.

I may just as well have stayed with my Nikon DSLR's...

The M10 is perfect for many M users. There is room for an advanced technology version of the M too...

You may not want it... but there are many that do... in fact, there is quite a lot of us on this forum...
  • Distagon said thank you to this
Leica M-P, Summilux 1.4/35 FLE, Summilux 1.4/50 ASPH, Summicron 35/2 ASPH, Elmarit 2.8/90

#2546 epsonRD1

epsonRD1

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted Today, 04:04

Sounds like a small hamburger with the lot, it will not happen.

A complete redesigned body with rangefinder/EVF ln camera would be quite possible but my take is the lenses would need to be tailor made in order to fully support the camera........the present  m lenses would become  legacy lenses

• pgk and Distagon said thank you to this

#2547 Distagon

Distagon

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • City / Ort:Brisbane

Posted Today, 04:15

Sounds like a small hamburger with the lot, it will not happen.
A complete redesigned body with rangefinder/EVF ln camera would be quite possible but my take is the lenses would need to be tailor made in order to fully support the camera........the present m lenses would become legacy lenses

It does make one wonder about the way forward for small, high quality Leica lenses.
If the "Q L-mount" is a thing - and it does make sense technically - will delivering high quality, fast glass in a small & light form factor remain a priority?
Would there be a redesign effort to "ROM-ify" M lens designs in the new L-mount, preserving their small size?
After all, Leica have shown that size is still given high priority in the M mount. Will it be given similar emphasis in L?
Certainly, SL lenses have not had small size as an important design constraint.

Edited by Distagon, Today, 04:17.

#2548 epsonRD1

epsonRD1

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted Today, 04:21

a spanner

On my X-E2 through the EVF I can judge/see exposure a lot better than on with a OVF  with the added  bonus of applying  adjustments in real time.

#2549 lct

lct

Ex-Newbie

• Members
  • 14,857 posts

Posted Today, 08:49

[...] On my X-E2 through the EVF I can judge/see exposure a lot better than on with a OVF  with the added  bonus of applying  adjustments in real time.

Same with all modern EVFs i guess, at least with mines. Hard to believe that this is impossible with a modern Visoflex. This is the only way to get auto-magnification which is impossible with M lenses on current mirrorless cameras like our X-E2, the SL, the A7 and so on. At least if Leica prefers the L mount for a future mirrorless camera. Pity one has to wait for the M11 or the cows to come home but Leica is Leica...

Edited by lct, Today, 08:50.

#2550 coogee

coogee

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • City / Ort:Sydney

Posted Today, 09:24

On that general topic, is anyone using R lenses on their M10 as yet? How is it, especially compared with M240?

#2551 Mike Rawcs

Mike Rawcs

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 640 posts

Posted Today, 10:56

I had a demo of the M10 yesterday as I'm in the market for a new camera. I was also considering the X-Pro2 or X-T2 as I have been impressed with the Jpeg simulations from my X-100T, particularly being able to view in b&w using the EVF of the camera; it made sense shooting Raw and Jpeg-Fine just for this ability. After the demo I'm pleased that Leica didn't add an EVF to the M10. It works perfectly as it is and gives me all that I have been asking for a number of years i.e. a digital M rangefinder camera the same size as a film M. I've placed my order for the camera, but when shooting b&w I may well use Raw and Jpeg-Fine as found it very easy to quickly review the scene on the LCD in b&w using Live View. It was even possible to focus using the LCD screen using focus-peeking and then quickly switch back to OVF for final focussing / framing if required. Very fluid, very liberating.

I've used the OVF on the T and found it a pain to use with a camera bag, requiring it to be removed each time the camera was put in the bag, although in use it was fine, much better than the X100T. That said, for my photography, I probably would never need to use it and if I did, it would be a rare event, so the attachable EVF is the best compromise for me, especially as I can now see the 28mm framelines in the finder! At last, thank you Leica.

The camera is not light for its size but is wonderful to hand-hold; very steady in the hand.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

dpstyles, markku

Leica Deals