Shooting through Plexiglass

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I'm forced to shoot shoot through plexiglass, from an airplane or a train, it always seems to leave an unpleasant signature on the colors of image that I neither perceive at the time nor do I see on images shot through normal glass. I don't really remember seeing this pronounced of an effect with previous brands of cameras. 

Has anybody else perceived this?

Does anybody know what I can do to remove it?

I haven't yet been able to figure out what my eye is picking up and how the colors are different and so I haven't been able to figure out how to fix it.

The phenomenon is called birefringence.  Different refractive indices are set into the plastics from manufacturing stresses, such as plexiglass.   

If you photograph through an aircraft window with a polariser, you'll see an array of emphasised ROYGBIV colours.

It's a property used in mineralogy to determine minerals in rock thin sections under a polarizing microscope...the angle of birefringence helps identify the mineral.

There is no way to eliminate it, except don't shoot through plastic windows, particularly with a polariser.

all best.

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 1

Planes and trains also get washed in strong detergents that leave a film on windows which can also degrade a photograph, unless it's a British train and you have to contend with plain old dirt. The question about 'birefringence' makes me wonder how Tom Cruise manages to see outside his fighter plane canopy while wearing his Ray Ban's? Or is he not a test pilot now?

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

Hi Steve

Yesterday finally went and got my eyes tested for new specs.  Eyes are OK...point is I bought some multifocals, and some sunglasses as well; I always like polarizers so I can look into the sea.

I hope they won't upset my viewing of the LCD on my camera...I remember I'd had trouble with that before.

I'll find out in a couple of weeks.

As for Tom Cruise...I don't watch any movies with him as "star"...ever... :p

all best..

Yesterday finally went and got my eyes tested for new specs.  Eyes are OK...point is I bought some multifocals, and some sunglasses as well; I always like polarizers so I can look into the sea.

I hope they won't upset my viewing of the LCD on my camera...I remember I'd had trouble with that before.

The SL EVF won't work with polarized sunglasses, as I learned during a store demo when I told the rep the VF was not functioning; switching to my non-polarized clear glasses solved that.

Jeff

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...