New Leica TL System announced

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Really dissapointed. This is no update at all.An actual user of the X Vario I was hopping for a real upgrade more close to the Q or X Interface a new sensor better peformance, etc.

I'm still in love wiht my X Vario so ....let's wait. What I find really dangerous is that it seem's Leica don't have a real interest in aps sensor line, now they are offering as "new" a real outdated camera, so is really possible that the TL will sell bad...so: is time to expend money in a probable future dead line?. Not for me. At this moment the real alternative for my X Vario is a future Q with interchangeable lens and m mount or Fuji with a lovely interface and a great line of lenses....

Let's wait for some time.

• Like 1

Looks like 2016 is the year of disappointment for Leica. Still the last few years have been pretty good and I would imagine it has proved difficult to keep up the pace. The disappointment for me, is the delay in the appearance of more SL family lenses and even those announced were not what I was hoping for (11-24 Zoom). I just hope 2017 makes up for 2016. Fiddling about with re-wallpapered/fashion designer/c'leb endorsed versions of existing cameras does not impress many of us. 

Wilson

• Like 2

2.5 years and all they can manage is this?

I love Leica, and have been a fan for most of my life, but this is a huge misstep.

Two possibilities, depending on which numbers they made till now with T :

1) Few sales = few money to reinvest on the platform

2) Good sales...becoming a "classic" into its market niche = no reason to make significant updates on a succesful camera

No idea which one is right.... I can only say that didn't see many around... and I always look around to spot red dots... :huh:  

Because no radically updated T (TL) camera has been announced does not imply that another much improved model will not be announced in the future. Development to the production stage can take many months and for all we know there might be a beta version being tested right now. Maybe best not to be so dismissive and negative; think of the slight updates to other Leica models before they were superseded  - and bear in mind that no manufacturer would likely have developed or promised new lenses without also planning for a much improved camera to use them with.  

dunk 

• Like 6

Really dissapointed. This is no update at all.An actual user of the X Vario I was hopping for a real upgrade more close to the Q or X Interface a new sensor better peformance, etc.

I'm still in love wiht my X Vario so ....let's wait. What I find really dangerous is that it seem's Leica don't have a real interest in aps sensor line, now they are offering as "new" a real outdated camera, so is really possible that the TL will sell bad...so: is time to expend money in a probable future dead line?. Not for me. At this moment the real alternative for my X Vario is a future Q with interchangeable lens and m mount or Fuji with a lovely interface and a great line of lenses....

Let's wait for some time.

When the Q was announced there was no hint of an interchangeable lens model but there was a hint of 35mm and 50mm lens versions when the technology to reduce the physical 'fixed' prime lens sizes was available. The 28mm lens model was the first into production because its lens is the most compact. Fixed Q full frame lenses have to be compact and reasonably fast … and telecentric. 

dunk

Increasing internal memory to 32GB reminds me of two questions I have as a newer T user:

First, is there any advantage to using the internal memory over an SD card, such as a faster write speed?  I assume there must be some advantage if this is one of the only features they're upgrading.

Also, if you have an SD card inserted into the camera, can you switch between using either the card or the internal memory?  I recently filled up my SD card but couldn't figure out how to use the internal memory without taking out the SD card (which is a slow process with the leather case that screws on while blocking the battery/card door). 

Because no radically updated T (TL) camera has been announced does not imply that another much improved model will not be announced in the future. Development to the production stage can take many months and for all we know there might be a beta version being tested right now. Maybe best not to be so dismissive and negative; think of the slight updates to other Leica models before they were superseded  - and bear in mind that no manufacturer would likely have developed or promised new lenses without also planning for a much improved camera to use them with.  

dunk 

I would not disagree and think that a "new and improved" T is in the works. But, one has to wonder why they discontinued the old model and announced a very slightly improved "interim" model; why not just wait?  (I obviously do not understand the business marketing plan).

Rob

Edited by ropo54

I would not disagree and think that a "new and improved" T is in the works. But, one has to wonder why they discontinued the old model and announced a very slightly improved "interim" model; why not just wait?  (I obviously do not understand the business marketing plan).

Rob

Maybe the case polisher has sore fingers  ;)

dunk 

• Like 4

Increasing internal memory to 32GB reminds me of two questions I have as a newer T user:

First, is there any advantage to using the internal memory over an SD card, such as a faster write speed?  I assume there must be some advantage if this is one of the only features they're upgrading.

Also, if you have an SD card inserted into the camera, can you switch between using either the card or the internal memory?  I recently filled up my SD card but couldn't figure out how to use the internal memory without taking out the SD card (which is a slow process with the leather case that screws on while blocking the battery/card door).

Not sure about the new TL, but the internal memory in the T was very very slow.

I did some tests when I first got the camera 2 years ago.

I can't remember exactly but it was 2 or three times longer to write image vs a 95 MB/sec Sandisk card...

• Like 1

Rob

I guess It is possible the new and improved T (TL2?) is not so near and they try to keep the line alive aiming to new customer because of course for the owner of the actual T there are not many reasons to upgrade now to the TL.

But, if I should buy now a T (or TL depending on price) I will not upgrade in a few month to a new model, money needs  some calculation!

My personal view is that being Leica not a huge company and with limited resources for R&D (and customer service) they have a certain dispersion in a too large products palette, S, SL, M, T, X D-lux, Sofort...and this makes the upgrading innovation cycle longer tag we desire...

robert

If I wanted a T today I would for sure just buy one used.

Yes, but not many available at least where I live...

robert

PS: and in the few shops who still have some new for sales is not yet discounted in spite of being discontinued !

Edited by robert blu