New Leica TL System announced

Is it possible to use M lenses on the Sony A6500?

Yes … but don't expect outstanding results with M lenses wider than 35mm … Leica R lenses work better on Sony mirrorless cameras because R lenses are more telecentric. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

• 3 weeks later...

The T/TL is a mighty fine camera with great lenses. Adapted lenses work well too. I love it with the VL 12mm and Ultron 21mm. Sure, full frame would be great, but that would open so many other critique points - cost, performance with adapted lenses, size (see SL)...and the reference with the M series (which is made anyways, though they serve different purposes). Personally, I would like to see APS-H, but hey.
I have never used a Leica full frame. I used the Ms (and Fuji) in various flavours, but in the end the X1 and T stayed. Critique points for the T remind me of the X1/2/Vario critiques - in the end my X1 went the distance and is still in heavy use.

They are robust, good cameras. Take it or leave it. I really appreciate my T, it has served me better then expected. The price point of full-frame would make me go MF right away anyway.

• Like 3

The T/TL is a mighty fine camera with great lenses. Adapted lenses work well too. I love it with the VL 12mm and Ultron 21mm. Sure, full frame would be great, but that would open so many other critique points - cost, performance with adapted lenses, size (see SL)...and the reference with the M series (which is made anyways, though they serve different purposes). Personally, I would like to see APS-H, but hey.

I have never used a Leica full frame. I used the Ms (and Fuji) in various flavours, but in the end the X1 and T stayed. Critique points for the T remind me of the X1/2/Vario critiques - in the end my X1 went the distance and is still in heavy use.

They are robust, good cameras. Take it or leave it. I really appreciate my T, it has served me better then expected. The price point of full-frame would make me go MF right away anyway.

Peter, you are absolutely right. people often forget that a "Full Frame" T is the SL!... Same lenses and adapter work for both. One is a FF, and the other a APS-C. And, I believe Leica should have a APS-C in its lineup.

The only changes I wish for T/TL are an in body EVF, and an improved sensor. The actual sensor is great, but they should keep modernizing it to keep up with new technologies.  

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Peter, you are absolutely right. people often forget that a "Full Frame" T is the SL!... Same lenses and adapter work for both. One is a FF, and the other a APS-C. And, I believe Leica should have a APS-C in its lineup.

The only changes I wish for T/TL are an in body EVF, and an improved sensor. The actual sensor is great, but they should keep modernizing it to keep up with new technologies.  

Also, faster autofocus and no shutter lag.

Focus peaking.

Frankly, I happen to prefer the traditional user interface moreso than the touch screen, so perhaps an electronic merger of the 2 user interfaces?

I am optimistic that Leica is going to make some terrific improvements when the new TL arrives.  (They have certainly accomplished major improvements with AF and with the evfs in the Q and SL).

Rob

I am optimistic that Leica is going to make some terrific improvements when the new TL arrives.  (They have certainly accomplished major improvements with AF and with the evfs in the Q and SL).

I agree with you but the inevitable question remains, why were those improvements not incorporated in the new TL...?

I agree with you but the inevitable question remains, why were those improvements not incorporated in the new TL...?

The 'new' TL is an interim upgrade based on the original T … which was designed prior to the Q and SL.

We await the next generation TL.

dunk

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Yes  - it is always amusing to read reviews like:

'Another high priced Leica that has few features and only takes great photographs'

'Golly Gee - it doesn't even make coffee!'

'Admittedly the raw files looked great, but the Sony 6xxx goes up to 8 million ISO'

etc. :D 

• Like 3

'Another high priced Leica that has few features and only takes great photographs'

'Admittedly the raw files looked great, but the Sony 6xxx goes up to 8 million ISO'

… another is,  " … and if they took my advice and … " 

dunk 

• Like 1

That's a regular T2 adapter 42334 for adapting digiscopes to Leica M … click on the listing's German version and it states Leica T2 adapter M 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

I'm really looking forward to this announcement as I decided to buy into the TL as my main system several months ago. Have the original silver T running latest firmware and three TL lenses. Fingers crossed for an integrated viewfinder...maybe a technology trickledown from the Q. I come from a very traditional film background and find this system to be a breath of fresh air, so hope the new model signifies long life and commitment from Leica.

• Like 2

Actually, I am very excited; I heard from a very knowledgeable friend who is well connected to Leica AG, that with the WiFi of the new TL, you can change channels on your TV and open your garage door!... Very promising, indeed!

But I have no doubt that many other very "knowledgeable" people are going to compare it, on paper, with some Japanese- all-in-one cameras and  tell us what a crap this new Leica is!...

Well, I kinda like that kind of craps!... :D

• Like 1

I like the T system; it is so promising, but I use Leica X for now, because the image quality is practically same. 

Although I have expected more from the T/TL. Leica T and TL I have examined, behave strangely for their class and price, in critical moments when camera operation performance should not be questioned,

1. with internal memory used, camera freezes up after a shot for way too long. I find Leica X is faster. The process of writing down an image to memory / card should be a parallel process, or better worked out for a camera of that level and price. 

2. under some circumstances, with high iso, image preview becomes a slow-motion video; capturing the right moment is impossible. That is one of those situations when one cries for an optical viewfinder, and more speed in the camera. 

So the speed in basic operation / functionality seem to be a major issue with T; well, it shouldn't be. In photography speed of basic operation is essential. The burst rate, the AF speed, all that is not a issue and those limits I accept — but the operational speed of the camera should not be an issue.   

If Leica improves startup speed, writing speed (into a parallel process), and the speed of preview, it would be a camera one can rely on to capture desired images. Right now, X surpasses T/TL in that regard. Hope it will change with TL2.

Edited by Apoqualia