New Leica TL System announced

Advertisement (gone after registration)

… more details to follow.

Beside the name the most important news are:

- Titanium finish Leica TL

- Internal buffer size increased to 32 MB (was 16 MB)

More improvements - unsure if this is done via firmware:

- Improved AF-C performance

- Optimised compatibility with lenses from other Leica camera systems

Plus a new Leica TL app, now available for Android too.

More to come later today!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

If the improved autofocus AF-C performance as well as the support of S lenses with OIS function is due to a software upgrade, it ought to function on the T as well, or?

Hopefully - I've sent this question to Leica. Will keep you informed...

Here is the full article with some images:

» NEW LEICA TL SYSTEM ANNOUNCED

Andreas

Disappointing that Leica haven't decided to develop the T line, but have just issued the same camera with a light makeover.

On the other hand, given that sales of such cameras are largely in decline maybe they need to eek out more from their initial investment, but the problem with that is, the T now looks a rather dated proposition and misses some pretty standard features such as auto sensor cleaning.

But the new colour is nice!

• Like 1

I don't see any "improvement" inside the camera such as sensor, etc... and I really don't care about more interior memory since I never use it anyway; so, there is no reason for me to give more money to Leica and "upgrade" my T! Adding an "L" to "T" is not an upgrade to me! ... I am very disappointed of Leica! :(

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Cup half empty: this appears to be a minor hardware and firmware upgrade unless you regularly forget to put a card in. Another colour and a name change. If there was an increase in response/EVF speed, I think it would have been mentioned.

Cup half full: continuing commitment to the system by Leica, not the discontinuation feared by some people.

• Like 2

I^m a little bit disappointed, but at least, the T is still living. I'm wondering why they declared the T line discontinued sometimes ago?? :wacko:

Still hoping for more deep improvments next years...

Houps LocalHero you beat me... :D

Edited by papimuzo

I don't see any "improvement" inside the camera such as sensor, etc... and I really don't care about more interior memory since I never use it anyway; so, there is no reason for me to give more money to Leica and "upgrade" my T! Adding an "L" to "T" is not an upgrade to me! ... I am very disappointed of Leica! :(

This increased internal memory is useless if the internal speed of the camera remains as it is in the current T. I never used it as it is by far too slow. If there is no better processor in the TL we just get a new color, one more letter in the name and useless memory offered. This is very disappointing.

• Like 4

Given they are still releasing new TL lenses lately, they need some non-discontinued cameras to sell with them.

This is quite disappointing.

2016:
Instax camera for 3x the price
Re-issue of a slow 28mm lens for 3x the price

New color Q for 5% higher price

Re-issue of the discontinued T line as the TL, presumably for higher than the last T prices before they left shelves

This kind of stuff really gets to a lot of the criticism of Leica and Leica users.  Emperors new clothes type stuff, and we are the marks.

Leica makes so much great gear, but in 2016 this does not appear to be the companies focus. 

Many were hoping for an M announcement, X line update, T update, or maybe a Q with another focal length.

Instead they are trying to pick the pockets of their users further, without delivering us anything actually new.

I^m a little bit disappointed, but at least, the T is still living. I'm wondering why they declared the T line discontinued sometimes ago?? :wacko:

Still hoping for more deep improvments next years...

Houps LocalHero you beat me... :D

They only discontinued the previous model. They had announced new lenses so it was highly unlikely that they would discontinue a camera but introduce new lenses for it at the same time.

I was expecting to see a new kind of T camera, like a mini SL.

• Like 2

Exactly.

I was really looking for something to shoot 50mm-ish equivalent with AF, and maybe decent video.

I love my Q.  I want something as enjoyable to use @ the 50mm mark.  I do have an M240 I enjoy, but I want a longer lens AF as well..

I am toying with m4/3 right now as it is cheap, small, great AF, IBIS, and great video, but its not nearly as enjoyable.

X line is 35mm equiv and not fast enough AF (coming from Q & m4/3).

SL is waaay too big/heavy for me.  (NOTE I said FOR ME.  It is perfectly fine weight/size given its pro market target)

Existing T didn't excite me at all, especially at the price.  TL rebake for more $$ is even worse. 

They only discontinued the previous model. They had announced new lenses so it was highly unlikely that they would discontinue a camera but introduce new lenses for it at the same time.

I was expecting to see a new kind of T camera, like a mini SL.

If the improved autofocus AF-C performance as well as the support of S lenses with OIS function is due to a software upgrade, it ought to function on the T as well, or?

Info from Wetzlar:

Leica is working on a Leica T firmware update which incorporates these improvements.

• Like 7

Lovely...  I´m still using M9 and MM1; kind of anticipated a NEW T, with a new, Q-like built-in EVF instead of the current Rube Goldberg contraption, which may have tempted me a lot.  No way, this is just the old T with a few cosmetic changes.  So, M9 and MM1, I´ll stay with you, and be very happy with your features and performance!  

Edited by elgenper
  • Like 1