M-mount to screw mount III

Jackbryan

I think I remember somewhere in the distant past somebody going to the great expense of retooling his LTM body to use an M mount. Seemed ridiculous then as well as now.

DAG had one for sale on his site. The conversion was done by his father, Norman Goldberg. In addition, the LFI article on the IIIg published around 2007 showed an M-mount prototype of the IIIg produced by Leitz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by graphlex

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Jack,

Welcome to the Forum.

Actually, there are a number of manufacturers who make adapters that will allow a bayonet mount "M" lens to be attached to a Leica Thread camera body.

The problem is infinity focus.

"M" bayonet mount lenses have a flange to film distance of 27.8mm when they are focused at infinity. Leica screw mount camera bodies have a flange to film distance of 28.8mm when lenses mounted on them are focused at infinity.

A bayonet mount lens to screw mount body adapter has a thickness of more than "0".

When you add this more than "0" to the 1mm difference between screw mount & bayonet mount lens flange to film distance you get a distance of 1mm + some other ammount of thickness: This is the distance that the lens is already sitting in front of the film plane before you are beginning to focus. Focusing then takes the lens even further from the film plane which means that the lens begins its focusing travel at a distance in the photograph which is closer than infinity.

You can not focus a lens with this type of adapter on it correctly for a subject at infinity.

There is also no rangefinder connection with this type of adapter.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've been looking for an M to LTM adapter but haven't found any. Can you tell me who makes them?

The reason is that with live view it is possible to do close up photography without a Visoflex.  However, the only extension tube I can find is the OUFRO, which is very short. I would like to use screw mount extension tubes (which I have) an LTM to M adapter (which I also have) and an M to LTm adapter (which I don't have),

I've been looking for an M to LTM adapter but haven't found any. Can you tell me who makes them?

The reason is that with live view it is possible to do close up photography without a Visoflex.  However, the only extension tube I can find is the OUFRO, which is very short. I would like to use screw mount extension tubes (which I have) an LTM to M adapter (which I also have) and an M to LTm adapter (which I don't have),

I'm confused by the responses. I have several Leica screw-mount lenses with ordinary adapters to the M mount. Am I missing something? I also have several LTM extension tubes of various lengths. Again, what am I misunderstanding?

Edited by pico

Novoflex LEI-M but it must be difficult to find one

or BEOON could be used :p :

See this old link:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/220403-m-to-ltm-lens-adapter-not-the-usual-ltm-to-m/

Thanks to you who replied to my post. I traced out the leads and found that there is apparently only one adapter being made, the Novoflex Lei-M. It sells new for a healthy $150 in the US, and not much less for the only used one on eBay. Wow. I did find that for some reason it's available in Europe for the equivalent of about $90 and I'm waiting to hear what the shipping will be.

I couldn't figure out if or how the connector that holds the LTM lens and M body of the BEOON comes off the stand for separate use, and if that would ruin things. Does anybody know?

I couldn't figure out if or how the connector that holds the LTM lens and M body of the BEOON comes off the stand for separate use, and if that would ruin things. Does anybody know?

If you can find a BEOON complete set, the ring marked " 1:3  A " is normally mounted.

Just unscrew it from the stand, like a lens in LTM, then you have a nice M mount female to LTM male.

• 6 years later...
On 11/3/2016 at 11:10 AM, Jackbryan said:

Is there a way to mount a new m-mount lens on an old screw mount camera (Leica III)?

As you've heard - no.  However, I would call Leica as they may be able to remove the M mount and replace with LTM.  Just a thought.  

Not impossible !

Screw placements are weird though.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

not mine !

Field selector not there just like my early M3 which in turn do have 50/90135 field in viewfinder "auto" selection by mounted lens

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Not impossible !

Screw placements are weird though.

not mine !

Field selector not there just like my early M3 which in turn do have 50/90135 field in viewfinder "auto" selection by mounted lens

I think this is my favourite ultra-rare Leica, much more interesting than a different paint job or a gold finish or a significant serial number or a special engraving.  Nice internal frame counter and IIIf-style film reminder too (no dial on the back). I don't know what it sold for a few years ago, but the price would be crazy today. Is it fully functional, like the Goldberg conversion? Another oddity of this prototype is that it appears to have raised frames around the VF and frameline illuminator windows, M3-style. Perhaps it (or some of it) predates the released version of the IIIg, when Leica hadn't finalised the styling or decided how the frame counter and film reminder would work?

Edited by Anbaric