Dropped My SL

BCMielke

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lucky you that at least get an estimation of the repair.  I sent in my SL for repair 6 months ago, but I still don't get anything beside the repair number...I tried to call them, email them and even sent email to Germany where Leica USA told me my camera sent there 4 months ago...

though my problem is a little different from you that I didn't drop my camera, but the camera just won't turn on again when I was switching lenses with the camera turned off.

Edited by pyp

• 4 weeks later...

Good News - My SL and 24-90 have arrived having been repaired - was sent to Germany first week of December - quote for repairs 16th December - back in London all done 12th Jan - looks like new - good job and I think a quick turnaround considering Christmas was in the middle - not cheap as was expetced but happy  

I did buy a M262 to cover me expecting 2-3 months for the SL.......oh and a couple of lens - the APO 90 F2 looks like it will work really well on the SL

Good News - My SL and 24-90 have arrived having been repaired - was sent to Germany first week of December - quote for repairs 16th December - back in London all done 12th Jan - looks like new - good job and I think a quick turnaround considering Christmas was in the middle - not cheap as was expetced but happy  

I did buy a M262 to cover me expecting 2-3 months for the SL.......oh and a couple of lens - the APO 90 F2 looks like it will work really well on the SL

That is good news.  Mine is still in for repair in the US.  I haven't heard anything, but then I didn't expect to.  I figured I would give them a call after a month just to "check in"  

I also had a little problem getting out of my car with my sl and 0.95 50mm as I got out of the car the lens dropped on to the Tarmac and rolled down the hillside into a wall. Luckily for me it was on a hillside and only short journey to a wall. I spoke with the Leica engineer at Leica Mayfair who ran other a few things with me. I was incredibly lucky as the lens cap was on and apart from glancing that and a little knock on the hood all works perfectly my heart had sunk for a moment but as the lens is fine why loose it for the sake of a little dinged hood.

I would not be precious about your kit just use it and make great pictures the bodies never hold value anyway so why waste your money. If it's still water tight who cares and you might not care about the anyway.

I recently bought the rrs base plate for both my SL's and already had one for my S they have a wonderful QD socket which works incredibly well I also bought a B2-FABN micro and several QD sockets. You'll need the B2-FABN micro for the S so you can also fit a handstrap or to any other old rrs base plate without QD sockets. They were designed for the military to hold weapons on straps and can be put on most things.. I've taken the silly things of my moneymaker harness and put QD's on as well as making my own straps.

All the best with your dilemma but if it's not a problem don't let yourself be caught in the details. I personally want a lots more resolution in my SL2 & S008 50mp & 80mp respectively as I'm making large colour carbon and dye transfer images. So money should be conserved for creating beautiful images not tarting up tools

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

My SL finally came back to me today...From the day I sent out to the day I got it back, it was a little bit more than a 6 months journey.

I took LocalHero1953's advice and sent them a email as my final notice before sending them a lawyer's letter and calling my insurance company, Leica USA finally sent me a reply saying I fail to reply to their estimation cost...Liar...(If that's the case, why didn't they tell me when I called them and send them so many emails so many times?). 

There is also another problem.  I send in my camera for having my SL not able to turn back on after I switch lens, but they told me that my camera had a impact damage and they need to replace all the front cover, top plate...the total cost me US$2112...that left me a question mark as I have never dropped my SL...

Since I don't have any proof and I just want my camera back...I choose to paid... And the service was fast, since it seems that the camera is already in Germany, it took only roughly 2 weeks for them to send my camera back.  Now the camera looks almost brand new and I am happy with it ($2000 for removing couple tiny scratches I made? well I don't know what they received when they told me my camera looks very beat up). 

Hope my experience helps other when they are going to send in their gear, so there is no surprise when they get the estimation.

cheers,

• Like 1

I have had a 21mm lens fixed, the quote was reasonable and done relatively quickly and almost to the date when they said it sjould be finished. Of course it went through my Leica dealer in Zürich who are good

at what they do. Thoroughly recommend the Leica shop Zürich to anyone. Ivo and Stefaan are together a brilliant team.

There is also another problem.  I send in my camera for having my SL not able to turn back on after I switch lens, but they told me that my camera had a impact damage and they need to replace all the front cover, top plate...the total cost me US$2112...that left me a question mark as I have never dropped my SL...

Since I don't have any proof and I just want my camera back...I choose to paid... And the service was fast, since it seems that the camera is already in Germany, it took only roughly 2 weeks for them to send my camera back.  Now the camera looks almost brand new and I am happy with it

I'm glad you have you camera back and are now apparently satisfied but I can't say a 6 months wait is remotely acceptable nor is a $2000 bill for impact damage if you are certain you have not caused it.

As an update to my camera.  I sent an email to Leica support yesterday wondering about an update on my camera repairs.  They have sent both lens and camera to Germany for repair.  The 24-90 you might recall is covered under warranty, but the damage that I did to the camera is not.  I got an email back about 10 hours after I sent it.  (This is not a complaint, but just for what people may expect if they were to email).  She let me know that the issue they were having is that the camera parts were on backorder and couldn't currently be repaired so she didn't have an ETA.  She did say that she would get back to me on an ETA when she had one.  

I'm kinda surprised that they don't have repair parts in Germany since they are still building the cameras.....maybe.  That seemed a little odd.  I was happy to get an update an an honest answer.  Hopefully I get an ETA soon since I have a trip in March where I was hoping to use the camera.

• Like 1

Another update.  My credit card was charged with the cost of the repairs today.  I haven't received any word from Leica on what or if something is being delivered, but I am hopeful.  I sent an email to my support contact and I hope to hear something back on whether I am getting just the lens or the both.  

• Like 2

Some good news today!  I finally got back from a business trip and I had a box from Leica when I got home.  I will admit being surprised when I opened it to see that it contained my Leica SL.  It was all fixed.  It did not contain my lens, which also surprised me.  It was my understanding that it was already fixed.  When I called Leica an inquired they let me know that it to had just got back from Germany and after they checked it out they would send it off to me.  Probably the beginning of next week.  So if I am lucky, but next Friday I should have the whole "kit" back together.  I haven't counted the days, but about 45 would be my guess.

• Like 2

Just a short update.  I still have not received the 24-90 back.  I was told to expect it this week when I last spoke to Leica, but it appears that another phone call may be necessary to see what the issue is.  I do wish there was some other way to get updates other than to call them, but at least eventually I do talk to a real person.

As an update to my camera.  I sent an email to Leica support yesterday wondering about an update on my camera repairs.  They have sent both lens and camera to Germany for repair.  The 24-90 you might recall is covered under warranty, but the damage that I did to the camera is not.  I got an email back about 10 hours after I sent it.  (This is not a complaint, but just for what people may expect if they were to email).  She let me know that the issue they were having is that the camera parts were on backorder and couldn't currently be repaired so she didn't have an ETA.  She did say that she would get back to me on an ETA when she had one.  

I'm kinda surprised that they don't have repair parts in Germany since they are still building the cameras.....maybe.  That seemed a little odd.  I was happy to get an update an an honest answer.  Hopefully I get an ETA soon since I have a trip in March where I was hoping to use the camera.

Not that surprising. The production process is not continuous but works with batches.

Not that surprising. The production process is not continuos but works with batches.

Zero surprising :) a LOT of SL parts ( pretty much everything NON electronic ) is made in Leica Portugal. Top plate, front plate, back plate, prism, viewfinder, etc.

Electronics, as far as I know it is not. So if Leica Germany says it has no parts, its because 'tis waiting a shipment from Leica Portugal.

As a side note, much of the M precision stuff is made here : rangefinder system ( all of it, goes sealed with lacquer to Germany and pre adjusted and calibrated ) , again top and bottom plates ( up and including M10 ) , etc etc, all made here, as well most of the glass elements for pretty much every lens and pretty much everything from binoculars.

Another update.  I spoke to Leica service today for an update on my 24-90.  They confirmed (again) that my lens was complete and scheduled to be boxed an mailed back to me today.  Hopefully this time is the charm for getting my lens back.

On a good note, I got to use my SL that was returned extensively this past weekend with the 18-55 and 55-135 T lenses that I own and it worked out well and looks good as new.  I will continue to keep everyone posted until it returns.  

• Like 1