New Leica M9 Shooter!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, 

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I have been lurking here for quite a while but have never owned a Leica. Always wanted one (since I started shooting) but just couldn't afford it until now. I bought a used M9 and Voigtlander 50mm f1.1! This combo really makes my photos sing. I am sure Leica glass is far superior but this is all I could afford to start off with. 

So a little background:

I grew up in the midwest and joined the Marines right out of high school. Worked on air traffic control radar systems (as a technician not a controller) during my 5 year enlistment. Got out and decided I would attend college at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. I was working towards a bachelors in aviation business but after 1.5 years I realized I didn't enjoy it. I just couldn't get used to the idea of working in a office building wearing a suit everyday. I then started applying for just about any electronics technician job that would pop up online. I eventually got lucky and secured a job with the National Weather Service. This has given me the opportunity to move around quite a bit. I started in Indiana, then Hawaii for a spell, then of to Las Vegas, and I now live in Kansas City, Missouri. 

I have never been into photography and it wasn't until my daughter was born that I realized I liked taking pictures. I don't have an artistic bone in my body so I do not consider myself a photographer but more of a "snap-shooter". I am working on composition and getting the right light to tell the story in which I try to convey but I know I struggle way more than someone who just "sees the picture" in their mind.

In my 2+ years of shooting I have been through numerous cameras brands. I finally realized that I wanted a Leica, but I'm sure what it was about it that made me desire it so much. Maybe its the classic look, the seemingly impossible reality of actually affording one, or the simplistic controls. Maybe it is the fact that when you take a good picture it is because you actually took it. You focused the camera, you picked the aperture, the shutter speed, the iso and if you did all those things right the camera rewards you. 

Any way, enough ramblings, here is one of the first pictures I took with eh M9. It is at a local BBQ joint, Q39, which has the best BBQ I have tasted. If your ever in KC be sure to stop by and try it.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Sgt_Gatr
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum!

You bought a fine combo as a first set. The Voightlander is not bad at all, and the M9 at base ISO is still about as good as it gets.

Use this combination for a while (some say a year) and as time goes buy you will get a better feeling of what you really want. This is very personal so no one can tell you what focus length you feel as natural to you and what kind of speed/weight ratio will be the best compromise for you.

Just enjoy the feeling of being in control and the rest will come by itself,

Enjoy!

Dirk

Hi!

I'm also a new M9 owner (a month ago) and new to the forum (registered today).

I got the combo M9 + Summarit 35mm F2,5 and I'm very pleased and really excited about the camera and lens.

I was drawn to Leica M (from Nikon DLSR) because of the manual controls, robust design and IQ.

I hope to find knowledge, tips and tricks in the forum.

I will follow Dirk's advice and stick to my lens for a quite a while before the next buy (although tempting).

Good luck with your M9...

Regards,

Joakim, Sweden

Hello, 

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I have been lurking here for quite a while but have never owned a Leica. Always wanted one (since I started shooting) but just couldn't afford it until now. I bought a used M9 and Voigtlander 50mm f1.1! This combo really makes my photos sing. I am sure Leica glass is far superior but this is all I could afford to start off with. 

So a little background:

I grew up in the midwest and joined the Marines right out of high school. Worked on air traffic control radar systems (as a technician not a controller) during my 5 year enlistment. Got out and decided I would attend college at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. I was working towards a bachelors in aviation business but after 1.5 years I realized I didn't enjoy it. I just couldn't get used to the idea of working in a office building wearing a suit everyday. I then started applying for just about any electronics technician job that would pop up online. I eventually got lucky and secured a job with the National Weather Service. This has given me the opportunity to move around quite a bit. I started in Indiana, then Hawaii for a spell, then of to Las Vegas, and I now live in Kansas City, Missouri. 

I have never been into photography and it wasn't until my daughter was born that I realized I liked taking pictures. I don't have an artistic bone in my body so I do not consider myself a photographer but more of a "snap-shooter". I am working on composition and getting the right light to tell the story in which I try to convey but I know I struggle way more than someone who just "sees the picture" in their mind.

In my 2+ years of shooting I have been through numerous cameras brands. I finally realized that I wanted a Leica, but I'm sure what it was about it that made me desire it so much. Maybe its the classic look, the seemingly impossible reality of actually affording one, or the simplistic controls. Maybe it is the fact that when you take a good picture it is because you actually took it. You focused the camera, you picked the aperture, the shutter speed, the iso and if you did all those things right the camera rewards you. 

Any way, enough ramblings, here is one of the first pictures I took with eh M9. It is at a local BBQ joint, Q39, which has the best BBQ I have tasted. If your ever in KC be sure to stop by and try it.  

attachicon.gif1.jpg

Sgt_Gatr.  I'm from Sedalia.  I mostly lurk here but I want to say hi and say thanks for your work with the NWS.  Living in tornado alley we rely on the NWS a lot.  By the way, what BBQ joint is in the photo?  I took a few shots at Gates a few months ago but the light was not good.  I look forward to seeing more of your shots.  

Sgt_Gatr. I'm from Sedalia. I mostly lurk here but I want to say hi and say thanks for your work with the NWS. Living in tornado alley we rely on the NWS a lot. By the way, what BBQ joint is in the photo? I took a few shots at Gates a few months ago but the light was not good. I look forward to seeing more of your shots.

Sedalia is very close. We could go shooting some time if your up for it. Thank you for the kind words. We take great pride in repairing weather sensors because we know how important they are.

The BBQ joint is called Q39 and is the best I have had since moving here.

Edited by Sgt_Gatr

Welcome Stgt_Gtr and Joakim. Look forward to your posts.

Easiest way to get a merting organised is through the Forum Meet section. Just announce it and see who is interested.

I used to be in Indianapolis often, but changed jobs now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk