Advice on transitioning to Leica M 262 (not M-D)

Bobby

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I have been a hobbyist photographer for about four years, and I recently transitioned from DSLR to mirrorless (Sony a7r ii). 

I love my camera, and I mostly do urban landscape, street photography and natural landscape. 

Although I am very good with technology (I have a background in engineering), I have to admit I'm a little tired of menus and technology, and I find the simplicity of Leica what I'm looking for. 

However, I have some concerns about moving to Leica. 

I sometime do studio modelling (again, for fun). Will I be able to nail the focus, or should I accept the idea of not accepting as much precision as I could with a mirrorless/DSLR?

I hear people seeing that the quality of Leica lenses is stellar. But, is the 24mpx an issue in an era where we have 42mpx photos and soon 80mpx?

Thank you, 

24's plenty ....unless you make posters or crop away the sensor.....or want to chase megapixels

For years Pros shot manual focus for everything, including models with studio lights ....Do you want to adapt?

You'll have trouble with focus if the model is moving and your at f/2....So stop down a little and zone focus.

With electronic flash F/8 and nice place to be so ....no problem...again it depends.

Honestly you have lots of control in the studio if you don't mind giving up auto focus for a simpler way of working the M is  a joy to use.

Go for it and be free of the layers and layers of menu's and useless features

I would keep my Sony as I get used to the M.......occasionally you may want auto everything

My experience with the Leica rangefinders is that they are very precise in focusing.  When calibrated properly they can achieve results that equal or beat typical autofocus accuracy - assuming you do your part.  Now for most of us the rangefinder won't be nearly as fast as autofocus so they are not the best choice for quickly moving subjects.  But for studio work I think they are excellent and for events I stop down a bit to gain DOF and can quickly focus close enough to get sharp images.  Rangefinder focusing does take getting used to and, unlike autofocus, depends on seeing the subject clearly. So you need good or properly corrected vision.

You can rent an M262 and see what you think...  https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/leica/cameras/leica-m-typ-262  

Or buy or demo and older model since you don't want/need LV; the RF experience is similar.  If you don't get along with it, you won't lose much selling it.  Best way to know is to try it.....using your own workflow....for an extended period.  Some folks love the RF experience, some not.

And, if you decide to try it, the FAQ here on the forum will answer lots of questions, even without your having to ask, although we're happy to answer.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Thanks a lot for the answers. I think I have a decent sight (to the point that the camera beeps when I focus manually), but do you know if the magnifier for the viewfinder can improve focus accuracy significantly? I'm kinda worried about that. I usually delete images that are not in focus; but I must add most of my subjects are static. 

Edited by rpagliari

Covered in the FAQ... http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/216580-leica-m8-m82-m9-m9p-mm-mtyp240-faqs-questions-with-answers/?p=2464049

The key is to be sure your eyes are corrected for RF viewing (and your camera and lens are calibrated correctly**)....the focus patch is set at a virtual distance of 2m.  If your vision is impaired in any way (astigmatism, distance, etc), then the magnifier will magnify the problem.  Some shoot with a diopter (the Walters one has astigmatism correction) or glasses.  Each person is different....I own the magnifier but find that it reduces contrast somewhat, and wearing glasses solves all my issues without it.

Again, the only way to know is to try. 

** [The M240 with LV allows for quick and accurate focus checks to make sure camera and lens are calibrated accurately; the M262 without LV won't help.]   ^_^

Jeff

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks a lot for the answers. I think I have a decent sight (to the point that the camera beeps when I focus manually), but do you know if the magnifier for the viewfinder can improve focus accuracy significantly? I'm kinda worried about that. I usually delete images that are not in focus; but I must add most of my subjects are static. 

"I must add most of my subjects are static."

You really should try it if you have never used a rangefinder but if most of what you do is static....You'll love it!!

Its very easy to focus and use......I do agree with Luke_Miller ....do your part and if you wear glasses get the correct diopter.

Delete in Lightroom later.....You'll be surprised at your "hit rate" once you get the hang of it.

The simple M is a joy to shoot.

Edited by ECohen

Hello,

I have been a hobbyist photographer for about four years, and I recently transitioned from DSLR to mirrorless (Sony a7r ii). 

I love my camera, and I mostly do urban landscape, street photography and natural landscape. 

Although I am very good with technology (I have a background in engineering), I have to admit I'm a little tired of menus and technology, and I find the simplicity of Leica what I'm looking for. 

However, I have some concerns about moving to Leica. 

I sometime do studio modelling (again, for fun). Will I be able to nail the focus, or should I accept the idea of not accepting as much precision as I could with a mirrorless/DSLR?

I hear people seeing that the quality of Leica lenses is stellar. But, is the 24mpx an issue in an era where we have 42mpx photos and soon 80mpx?

Thank you, 

I have a sony7RII and it is a fantastic camera, now I bought a Leica M262, I love both cameras but in my point of view shot with a Leica it´s a different approach to photography, I can´t say it´s better or worst, is just different. Normally I take the leica when I want to shot some type of street photography. I Just work in raw and  I can say I did´t saw so good photos as the ones I take with the leica camera and a leica lens....even so sony it´s much more faster than the leica....I think the to work with a Leica or a Sony depends on what type of photography I do.   

Edited by zmcm

I suggest you to make a research on metering capabilities of the M 262. It is the classical one and you will get underexposed photos with landscape photos and also underexposed object photos when the background has bright light if you rely on AE. You may be disappointed if you are not aware of this. There is a topic about that on this forum.  

I have a M 262 and I can assure you that when you get used to it,  you will definitely love it !!

The best advice I got when I was contemplating the move from DSLR to Leica rangefinder was to try it with an old film Leica M.

That was at a time when M8 was the only digital M and was costing a lot of money.

Now, you could do as I did and buy a M2 with a 50mm Summicron and shoot a few films. Or you could buy a M8 or M9 rather cheaply with the same lens. 

In both cases you will be able to judge how much you would like a Leica M240 or so.

And in case you do not like it, you could probably sell your combo after a few months without any loss at all.

I admit you will only get 10MP with the M8 and 18MP with the M9, but I can assure you that these will be the sharpest, most usable MP you have ever seen. Anyway, you will get a pretty good idea what you can do with 24MP and a few stops more in ISO range if you try the M9 or even the M8 first.

I suggest you to make a research on metering capabilities of the M 262. It is the classical one and you will get underexposed photos with landscape photos and also underexposed object photos when the background has bright light if you rely on AE. You may be disappointed if you are not aware of this. There is a topic about that on this forum.  

I have a M 262 and I can assure you that when you get used to it,  you will definitely love it !!

Isn't it fair to say, every digital photograph benefits and needs to be developed/polished  in Post.

Be it Lightroom, Photoshop, ACR....or something else, the file out of the camera is like a negative.

The photographer coaxes the picture to life.......its work and requires effort.

Basically I agree with your statement. But think a better way of describing the Leica M is that the photographer needs to be involved .

Lens choice, metering and focus all require more thought than many of today's "good" cameras.

Is the reward worth the effort for you? If your at this forum more than likely it is.

Edited by ECohen

Isn't it fair to say, every digital photograph benefits and needs to be developed/polished  in Post.

Be it Lightroom, Photoshop, ACR....or something else, the file out of the camera is like a negative.

The photographer coaxes the picture to life.......its work and requires effort.

Basically I agree with your statement. But think a better way of describing the Leica M is that the photographer needs to be involved .

Lens choice, metering and focus all require more thought than many of today's "good" cameras.

Is the reward worth the effort for you? If your at this forum more than likely it is.

With my M 240 and Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 ASPH. I would replace your "every" with "most"; a good number of my pictures taken with this lens only get worse with any Lightroom adjustments apart from those in the camera/lens profiles. It makes me feel redundant at times.

With my M 240 and Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 ASPH. I would replace your "every" with "most"; a good number of my pictures taken with this lens only get worse with any Lightroom adjustments apart from those in the camera/lens profiles. It makes me feel redundant at times.

"Most" well OK....but rarely does a photo of importance get out of my sight that doesn't get something in Post

Respectfully if your photos get worse in LR than its you choosing incorrectly. .....With that said so do mine . I HATE Lightrooms develop module.

I use Bridge, ACR and PS. With PS I can bring things up slowly ...I also think because I don't use LR enough that I don't get its quarks or use it properly

....To me the sliders are too sensitive I prefer PS and controllable layers. And I also love the speed of  Niks Viveza select tool.

...I put way too much time into post. Similar to developing a print in the old days. You could always make it better.

My goal this year is to master Lightrooms. develop module,because it really does so much very well and fast.

• Like 2

I found focus is more accurate with my regular glasses than with a magnifying diopter (which also cuts off a lot image area in the VF)

I think experimentation with a Leica dioptre is worthwhile, but adding (or just using) the Leica magnifier was no help at all in my case.

I have a Nikon D800 and an M240 - I love them both and wouldn't part with either. However the Nikon is more point and shoot and less engaging. Using my M and my M8 prior slows you down, makes you think about what you're doing and makes for a much more enjoyable experience.