Will Leica sell 50.000 new M cameras in 2017-2020

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If i'm counting the number of Leica users, I would not be surprised if Leica would sell 50 Leica M's per day in the near future.

If I was Leica, I would call it the "M classic" making the statement, that the classic viewfinder is not gone in the future. 

Btw, has anyone a clue how many digital M's are sold already?

Edited by Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my recollection is that when the digital Ms were released Leica expected to sell about 1.3 new lenses sold per camera body but actually sold over three.  Certainly applied to me ;-)

Oh !!  They wouldn't be happy with me then... I've only just bought my first new Leica lens. All the others are second-hand.

• Like 2

Peter, Surely the M is already a Classic! Not sure what you mean!

A product can become a classic because of all the things that are good about it.

But as soon as it starts calling itself a classic, (you should never compliment yourself) let alone being deliberately designed and promoted as "classic", it's a different thing altogether, and not to my taste.

More importantly, I want it to be a contemporary rangefinder camera, not a fossilised piece of nostalgia.

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 6

Peter, forgetting what They" call it, film M's are as one might say a classic design! Going forward with the Digital M's, they can add pixels, more powerful processing, a bigger buffer, in the end it's all about the VF -> Optical or Electronic, as with all things, some will some will not find it acceptable. Personally whatever They" (within the M range) offer will not temp me. To my mind the M-P240 covers all my wants and wishes. Regards, L.

Oh !!  They wouldn't be happy with me then... I've only just bought my first new Leica lens. All the others are second-hand.

Never mind, all my M- and LTM-lenses were bought second hand.
Without a good and meanwhile worldwide market for used Leica items, many fans could not finance their newest cameras and lenses. 

Peter, forgetting what They" call it, film M's are as one might say a classic design! Going forward with the Digital M's, they can add pixels, more powerful processing, a bigger buffer, in the end it's all about the VF -> Optical or Electronic, as with all things, some will some will not find it acceptable. Personally whatever They" (within the M range) offer will not temp me. To my mind the M-P240 covers all my wants and wishes. Regards, L.

The thing I find frustrating but I'm sure will be resolved in the next M as long as the traditionalists don't prevail, is that the M is within striking distance of becoming the best easily portable camera ever made, if only they would provide an up-to-scratch EVF to work seamlessly alongside the current OVF/rangefinder arrangement.

I don't mind whether it's detachable, though integrated would be nice if it were possible.

Nowadays high image quality is assured. The viewfinder and ergonomics are the most important distinguishing qualities of a camera (and price of course, as ever), and I don't want notions of "purism" and other such guff getting in the way of proper development.

• Like 4

Most "purists" should accept a first class optical RF and (perhaps) second class EVF provided it is detachable like any other Visoflex. First class EVF will remain for the SL i suspect but the latter is not for purists obviously. Just kidding ;)

I had a problem with an M262 body and it was replaced recently. Between the serial numbers and the production dates on the boxes, it would appear around 650 per week are being built.

I'm not sure if that would only be 262's or whether the serial numbers are used for other models too, all I can say is the numbers equate to 650 a week.

Unfortunately with Leica serial numbers come in batches and are not sequential, so no conclusions can be drawn from this.

I had a problem with an M262 body and it was replaced recently. Between the serial numbers and the production dates on the boxes, it would appear around 650 per week are being built.

I'm not sure if that would only be 262's or whether the serial numbers are used for other models too, all I can say is the numbers equate to 650 a week.