M with one lens only or something else

tifh21

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hi, just a bit of a background. I have a cropped dslr and a fuji setup and I am very happy with them but i decided I want to try/get a leica. Ive been wanting one for years and i think now is the right time. I have an upcoming trip to Japan on february so I will have enough time to get used to the new camera if ever.

Anyway, one of the reasons people suggest an M instead of the Q is bec it can change lenses. But for someone who's planning on just having one lens anyway on the M would you still recommend that?

plan on using the camera as my everyday and my trip camera. I wont sell my fuji or dslr

*planning on not spending too much and i got a good price quote from a Q seller...

Anyway, one of the reasons people suggest an M instead of the Q is bec it can change lenses. But for someone who's planning on just having one lens anyway on the M would you still recommend that?

If you're planning on that one lens being 28mm then perhaps not.  OTOH if you're planning on that one lens being any other focal length then yes.

hi, just a bit of a background. I have a cropped dslr and a fuji setup and I am very happy with them but i decided I want to try/get a leica. Ive been wanting one for years and i think now is the right time. I have an upcoming trip to Japan on february so I will have enough time to get used to the new camera if ever.

plan on using the camera as my everyday and my trip camera. I wont sell my fuji or dslr

*planning on not spending too much and i got a good price quote from a Q seller...

Well, given that the essential point of a Leica M is it being a rangefinder camera, you should  be concentrating on that aspect rather than on the lens.

I had the same thought process as you and purchased the Q as i thought ill never change lens anyway. 

Fast forward 14 months, now I wanna buy a 50mm....

Thing is, 28mm for me was abit wide for portrait, holiday snaps and what i really love about Leica is the process of composition framing, thiinking about the photos and in that sense the range finder was hugely fun to use. 

i was thinking though, if i go for Q i can use my fuji for other focal lengths needed.

Perhaps if you limit your context to the trip and everyday camera criteria, the choice will become clearer.

Would you take the Fuji with you every day and on trips just to access the other focal lengths? Which focal lengths do you tend to use?

If you use a 28 regularly, then a Q or M + 28 is a one camera solution.

If you gravitate to a 35 as a general purpose focal length, M + 35 is an excellent solution, as is a Q cropped to 35.

M + lens is $$ more than Q.

Q has AF. M doesn't.

M is expandable as a system. Q is a system.

See where this is going ;)

I would suggest you go to a dealer and handle each yourself. You will know what feels more right. If it meets you budget, buy that camera and you will likely enjoy using it to take photos.

Either way, it's an exciting prospect and the outcome will bring much enjoyment.

Good luck!

Cheers

J :)

Edited by Mute-on

Hi,

Firstly you say you 'want to try a Leica'. Why? What is it you want or think you will get from using a Leica? Leica make everything from instant film cameras to medium format. Which of those do you want to try?

The M is the only rangefinder camera made today. If it's the rangefinder way of working that appeals then you need to buy an M.

The Q is a fixed lens AF compact with an EVF finder - totally different from an M.

The X cameras are also fixed lens AF compacts, but with APSC sensors. What about one of those?

Or there's the T, also APSC but with interchangeable lenses (a new T is expected shortly).

Alternatively, if you want to see how the results from Leica lenses are, then you could buy a lens to use on your DSLR or Fuji (depending which model/s they are).

Edited by earleygallery

I think, in the end, that your decision should be between a Leica M or any other camera. Fuji, Q, Sony, Olympus and any DSRL are working in the same way, you point and shoot. The only different one is the M where anything is manual. And IMHO, if you want a "Leica" the M is the one. Then, if you want just one lens, just choose your focal length within a huge range of lenses and buy one.

as noted by most everyone above: if your preferred focal length is 28 then you have to decide if you want a rangefinder focus or electronic.

i  assume you want a Leica because of the quality of the lens.  The l IQ of the Q is amazing... take a look at the Q forum and the photos posted therein (both normal and macro)....

if you want the rangefinder experience-- then you need the M

the crop 35mm on the Q gives you about the same quality as a APS-C sensor (Leica T with a 35 or X1 or 2)..

if either of these focal lengths don't work for you... then you need the M.

Personally I went with the Q-- it works for me

Edited by prk60091

i wanted a leica because i wanted a fullframe 1 lense camera like the rx1 so i was sold on the Q, BUT my friend let me try his m240 for a bit and that got me thinking of going that way.

unfortunately in our country we can't rent cameras and lenses like leicas so i cant rent one for the trip.

28 and 35 are my usual focal lengths, leaning towards the Q bec im pretty happy with the fuji 23 f1.4 (35mm) equivalent of my fuji, and yes if ever im planning to use both systems in general.. :)

thanks for all the comments and answers guys.

I have both the Q and the M240 w/50mm.  I really have more fun shooting with the M due to the ability to get creative with my compositions and the manual focus.  I do carry the Q around with me most of the time to serve as my "iPhone" camera.  If you want a true Leica experience, go with the M

• Like 1