Canon 100-400mm ii with novoflex SL adaptor

kikouyou

The current status is, that a modern Canon tele lens never works as well as with a native body - because it has all the AF/IS programs that the lens/camera combo is designed for. While a foreign camera never has the right AF/IS programs to get close to this optimal steering. Also IS is currently not implemented in the Novoflex adapter. And additionally the SL and the EOS cameras have different AF types. (contrast vs phase detection)

Yes, we "know" it works, but never as perfect as you expect from this lens, when you come from using it with a 5Ds or similar camera.

I tried to find the source again, but maybe I mixed it up with something else. (cannot find it anymore, sorry).

But for me the summary is:

Use the SL 90-280 on the SL for optimal results.

Use the EF 100-400 IS II on a Canon camera for optimal results (regarding AF and IS). Adapted to another camera (SL or Sony) it will work, but will be no match (lower your expectations or you will face disappointment, the difference in AF speed and reliability is big).

Maybe future updates of the adapter can improve that. But it works well with e.g. the 11-24.

To make clear how difficult adapting is: Even when adapted to a Canon EOS-M mirrorless the performance is not equal. (with a Canon adapter !).

And also the 90-280 mounted on the T is much slower. (without an adapter)

To make it clear: No, I did not do the tests. But I have both lenses and therefore was very interested to know if the 100-400 would work with the SL and followed that closely during the last few months.   ;)

Edited by steppenw0lf

Thank you, i am not expecting the same performance than on native bodies. I read the thread on the novoflex converter and know it will be degraded, the question is, is it usable or not? But as nobody has tested this lens yet and a few people are interested on usability and image quality, I started this thread again... To get to the answer, do you happen to have the novoflex converter? Maybe you could do the test

No, in the current status I am waiting for improvements regarding the tele lenses. No plans to use 11-24 or T/S lenses, where the adapter is working well. So currently I will not buy this adapter. (I have the SL 90-280)

But being realistic: The SL will never have equivalent AF programs (Canon calls it the six AF cases, where case 5 is typically for birding), so the SL will "never" have equivalent AF/IS performance with Canon lenses. Nor will any other mirrorless camera.

To explain my problem: Your question of usability cannot be answered, too "personal".

I can only offer three scenarios:

1: Having SL plus 90-280. Add 100-400 ?   NO.

2: Having Canon 5Ds plus 100-400. Add SL ?    NO

3: Having SL as only camera, 100-400 as only tele lens.   Definitely buy the adapter. The lens will work perfectly (optically), but AF will only be as good as 5-10 years ago. (No tracking, not always reliable, rather slow, no IS). Not good enough to follow birds in flight.

Regarding price for value it is better to buy a FD tele lens and use it with a simple adapter. Or some of the first generation of EOS tele lenses.

Novoflex is preparing a compatibility list. Last time I asked them the 100-400 was not tested, yet. Maybe you could ask them again, so that they realize it is an interesting lens. They tested the big prime lenses like EF 1.8/200, 2.8/300 and 2.8/400.

Here I found the link again:  http://leicarumors.com/2016/10/08/novoflex-canon-eos-ef-lens-to-leica-sl-typ-601-af-adapter-review.aspx/

Edited by steppenw0lf

Good analysis steppenwOlf. I am indeed in case 3 with the Novoflex adaptor already purchased for another Canon mount lens I am using. That is why I am considering the 100-400 instead of the 90-280... for $$ and reach reasons. So as I have the adaptor, buying a new adaptor for a FD lens does not make much sense. I would rather benefit from the improved optical qualities of the 100-400 even if AF is way beyond what it could be on a 5D.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have not bought this adapter, yet, because it is simply too expensive to buy it, unless you definitely need it. Too expensive just to give it a try.

And so I am baffled when a see the Comlite EF to Sony AF adapter for about 60 pound (whatever that is in dollars).

And they also support Tamron lenses and Sigma lenses with EOS mount, and they deliver a compatibillity list for them.

This is simply decent - and I cannot understand why Novoflex is too lazy to offer that too. 

You need to write to Novoflex, and then you get a partial answer. Not even then do they send a (partial) compatibility list. What kind of service is this for a product so much more expensive than others ?  (And imagine how much time they would save, if they published the list and needed not answer the personal questions for each single lens)

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

The reason the adaptors for Sony are cheap is that there's more of them around and a bigger market to tap into.

When I bought my Metabones mkIV for the Sony there were few alternatives that actually worked so it cost me just over $AUD 600. The Leica cost me $AUD1000 ish.

Maybe if a dozen Chinese manufacturers copy the original and flood eBay with them we'll see a $100,00 adaptor.

A proper compatibility list would be nice though.....

Gordon

• Like 1