Manhole Cover

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My sister was in Wetzlar Germany and found this manhole cover....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

I'm glad you posted that. I've seen the plaque (on photographs) and am aware of the photograph it relates to.. ..in fact, one day I hope to stand on that spot and recreate the image, as many have before me.. ..but maybe some experts on this forum may be able to clarify - was this image really the first captured by the Leica prototype? - great image to start with.. ..and 1914, when I am lead to understand the first prototype was late 1913.. ..if I'm wrong - forgive me!

It is not quite clear what the first image has been. The world famous "Wetzlar Eisenmarkt" is often designated as being from 1913, but it is quite possible that the lesser known "mobilisation" (1914) predates it.

Additionally the second prototype was taken to the USA, but the photographs taken with it are lost, except for some New York photographs by Ernst Leitz II from 1914.

This site (in Italian) is fairly complete, but it contradicts itself in dating the Eisenmarkt image to 1913 and the German UrLeica to 1914.

https://sites.google.com/site/renatogucciardi/leica/barnack-vs-urleica

I'm sure there are a number of members here that can expand more authoritatively on the subject than I can.

• Like 1

My thinking too David. I also agree about the importance of the first photograph by Niepce. Another one I find fascinating was done - according to the book I have - in either 1838 or 1839 by Daguerre. It's a lovely shot of the Boulevard du Temple in Paris. Obviously too long an exposure to capture anything moving.. ..but someone had paused to get his shoes shined. The first photograph of a live human being (actually two!)

If only those two were still around today (I mean Niepce and Daguerre, not the shoe shiner and the customer). The questions we could ask.. ..they never did document what strap they used, for example..

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I suspect Barnack's first images were test shots of window frames, desks and distant towers through the office windows... testing focus etc.

Nothing of real interest really. Unlike the very important first photographic image by Niepce.

cheers..

Little known fact:  This is what the redoubtable Oskar Barnack made his first UR Leica photograph of -

:p

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 1

Some of the photographs Ernst Leitz II took on the trip to America have survived. There are some pictures of the crossing I believe and some others of neighborhoods of New York that are very interesting. I believe a book is in preparation with these images. The negatives were lost as confirmed by Lars Netopil of Leica Historica as they were on the old nitro cellulose film stock.

The "man hole cover" is very interesting, and was inaugurated in a ceremony with Andreas Kaufmann and others in conjunction with the opening of Leitz Park. When I first saw images of it, I had the same response - man hole cover! I have not seen it personally, but in photos Jim Lager took at the time, the man hole cover is oriented in what I consider the wrong way around. While looking at it, your backside is facing the subject of Barnack's Ur Leica image. You have to turn around to see the Eisenmarkt properly! As far as I know, it is still facing the wrong way.

One last thought. Nowadays, there is no way you can actually touch or handle the Ur Leica. On the few occasions it is brought out, it is handled with white gloves with a guard present. Back in the early 80's, I attended two Leica Akademies for Leica dealers. One afternoon after lunch in the old boardroom of the old Leitz HQ, a cart was wheeled into the room with a wooden box on it. One of the other attendees wondered out loud what was in the box. I speculated that it was the Ur Leica, and sure enough I was shortly proved right. They were very casual about it, and we were encouraged to handle it (gloveless), tripping the shutter, etc. I was able to do this on two separate occasions back then. Oh well, the world has certainly changed since then. It was like being able to take the Mona Lisa down to have a better look at it! I have not washed my hands since then! :-)

• Like 1