The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

Ilford Delta vs. FP4plus

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 TomB_tx

TomB_tx

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 1,783 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 20 March 2017 - 00:10

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)
Like Gary I switched to Rodinal for the past few years for its convenience for doing a roll every week or so (in a single reel tank), and I love the tonality of PanF in Rodinal. However, I haven't been impressed with the Delta or TMax films in it - though the Delta seem better than TMax.
So I decided to try the DDX that Ilford recommends. I've only done one test roll of a Delta 400 today, but I'm very pleased with the results. It's only diluted 4:1 for 1-shot use, and shelf life sure won't match Rodinal, but I think I'll get a bulk roll of Delta 100 and see how this liter does as I get used to it.

Edited by TomB_tx, 20 March 2017 - 00:11.

• EoinC said thank you to this

#22 gbealnz

gbealnz

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 2,488 posts
  • City / Ort:Hamilton. NZ

Posted 20 March 2017 - 00:34

Cheers Tom, I'll be keen to hear how you fare.

Let me stress, Rodinal/R09 will always be my everyday developer, simply from the convenience side, when I have a roll a week or so.

But with a mass processing mission like I figure I'll have (hopefully), I am keen to try something "better" or more suited, if this is the case.

Let me know your thoughts on the Delta 100 in DDX please.

Gary

#23 fotohuis

fotohuis

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 1,158 posts
  • City / Ort:R' stein

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:19

The combination R09/Rodinal and Delta is not good at all. DD-X is far superior due to the technique in Delta films. A para-Amino Phenol developer creates grain and is not suppressing it which Delta films are made for. Further the already mentioned speed loss.

You can keep DD-X 1  1/2 year in a half opened bottle. Of course less then any R09 clone for 4-5 years.

#24 gbealnz

gbealnz

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 2,488 posts
  • City / Ort:Hamilton. NZ

Posted 20 March 2017 - 19:16

The combination R09/Rodinal and Delta is not good at all. DD-X is far superior due to the technique in Delta films. A para-Amino Phenol developer creates grain and is not suppressing it which Delta films are made for. Further the already mentioned speed loss.

You can keep DD-X 1  1/2 year in a half opened bottle. Of course less then any R09 clone for 4-5 years.

Thank you, exactly the sort of information I was after. I've been studying DD-X, and will try some.

Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

Leica Deals