Should spare SL batteries come with a carry case?

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Given the current furore about exploding lithium batteries in Samsung phones, the spectre of fires from shorting lithium batteries is very relevant. Is it just me that thinks that Leica is being very penny pinching in not including a plastic carry case for the SL (and other digital camera) batteries, with these expensive items? I use various other things like the bag for the M to T adapter or a small velvet bag but a proper plastic case would be far better. For the M240 and M8/9, I have two of Luigi's leather carry cases which also holds a spare SD card. Because I don't carry spare SD cards with the SL (with 2 x 128GB, they are just not needed), I have not yet bought a leather case for my spare SL batteries. 

I use 18650 batteries quite a bit in various torches I have in cars and in the house. When you buy a pair of the more expensive protected versions of these, they very sensibly come with a fitted carry case for the two batteries, so you can carry a spare pair without the risk of a short. Bought in quantity, a moulded case for the SL battery would cost pennies and I think should be supplied as a matter of course and of safety. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Leica just presented their new 'bags-in-cooperation', e.g. the Oberwerth has such a separate little case, though the styling couldn't be anything else than German I'm afraid

https://en.leica-camera.com/Photography/General-Accessories/General-Accessories/System-Cases

Edited by otto.f

My SL batteries came with small zip-lock bags but are not very convenient. These ThinkTank battery cases are not cheap but serve me well. The SL batteries are a tight fit first time but they soon accommodate.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by rafikiphoto
  • Like 6

My SL batteries came with small zip-lock bags but are not very convenient. These ThinkTank battery cases are not cheap but serve me well. The SL batteries are a tight fit first time but they soon accommodate.

Brian,

Is that the Think Tank standard DSLR battery carrier or the pro model. I will get one of these for my upcoming Burma car rally trip, as I have two spare batteries. I see Amazon carry both. 

Thanks Wilson

• Like 1

The regular Thinktank case is a perfect fit for the current M batteries, too. 

I am OK for the M, as I have one of Luigi's small leather cases for that. However I still feel that Leica ought to spend that 10 pence and give us a moulded plastic case for each additional battery bought. Olympus does or at least did. A cheapish Hahnel battery I bought as a spare for my C112 came in a little plastic protective case. 

Wilson

Most cameras vendors don’t supply cases and frankly I don’t see a need. A plastic case could neither prevent spontaneous combustion as it is reportedly happening with some Samsung smartphones nor reduce its consequences – the case would just melt. Shortening the contacts (causing the battery to explode) is a complete different issue. It isn’t that likely to happen as the contacts are recessed; storing the batteries in their own compartment of the bag, away from loose metal objects such as keys, should be sufficient. That’s how I handle this issue anyway.

Edited by mjh

Just remember that things like the Samsung case, or the *hoverboards*, are clearly a product or manufacturing defect. There are hundreds and hundreds of millions of Lithium batteries out there. 99.99% of which perform year after year with no problems. I have not heard of a single battery that is a genuine one from the camera manufacturer that has burst into flames. Almost all fires are created from a defect, which will happen sooner than later, impropoer charging or and heating or piercing the cell.

The Leica camera batteries are already in a case. You're not actually looking at the lithium cell. So even damage to the outer case shouldn't cause an issue. They also have a charging regulator board to make sure the cells are charged evenly and not beyond their capacity. In addition to this the contacts are recessed so the chance of a short circuit is tiny.

I too have a system of battery storage. But it's because otherwise I can't find the little suckers when I need to. The first thing I do when I get one of those little cases is throw it away. My little *battery bag* takes up way less room in my camera bag.

Gordon

The scenario I was thinking of was in the middle of say a wedding shoot, doing a rapid battery change, getting the new one out of the camera bag but shoving the other low charge but still potentially dangerous battery into a pocket with car keys in it. I have done this more than once and got away with it. For the tiny amount it would cost, I still think small purposed moulded battery cases would be a good idea. I have them for the AA NiZn rechargeables of my SF58. 

Wilson

Thanks for posting that link, Brian. I've been looking for a 'right size' battery case. (No so worried about shorting out my batteries or having them explode, I just like a small case to keep them together and neat..)

I wrote this article on batteries some time ago and since then the Galaxy phone of course put some unwelcome attention on batteries. I hear the announcement on every airplane in the last weeks and feel like ducking my head... 

The regulations in this article is still in effect, but I would recommend using plastic bags for each battery just in case someone insist on that little detail that the connectors has to be isolated with a plastic bag. I would say any bag like the ThinkTank would be a great practical solution. But take some of the plastic bags for liquids they give for free for each batteri as well, just in case.

http://www.overgaard.dk/the-story-behind-that-picture-0168-batteries-photographers-airplanes-FAA.html 

• Like 4

I wonder if they have slightly changed the dimensions of the Think Tank DSLR battery pouch (not the pro model for bigger batteries). The one I received this morning is an easy fit for two spare SL batteries, whereas I had expected to have to do some stretching. I will put the batteries each taped into a small polythene bag in the pouch for airline travel, just to make sure everyone is 100% happy. 

As well as the SL, I am going to take my Reid III to Myanmar for the car rally. I wonder if I will get the same comedy when I leave Myanmar, as I got in India two years ago with my M4. At Chennai airport security, the young checker asked me to switch the camera on. I tried to explain that this camera was before the days of switch on but this did not compute. In the end I had the idea of pushing the activate button on my MR-4 lightmeter and letting the checker see the needle moving. Apparently all was fine after that. I do have a Voigtlander VC-2 meter I can put on the Reid, where pushing the activate button, lights up a couple of LED's  :)

Wilson

• Like 1