Leica Q Reliability

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Been using the Q for pro photojournalism for just over a year now - 90% of it on the presidential campaign trail. I've put very high demands on all my cameras and lenses the last 18 months, and the campaign trail is a punishing environment, with fast action and very close quarters and big, nasty scrums. The Q hasn't missed a beat - easily as sturdy and reliable as my Nikon gear. My M8 and M9 were just as tough and reliable.

• Like 3

Been using the Q for pro photojournalism for just over a year now - 90% of it on the presidential campaign trail. I've put very high demands on all my cameras and lenses the last 18 months, and the campaign trail is a punishing environment, with fast action and very close quarters and big, nasty scrums. The Q hasn't missed a beat - easily as sturdy and reliable as my Nikon gear. My M8 and M9 were just as tough and reliable.

That's a great testimonial for the Q. Would you be so kind as to provide us with any settings that are standard for you to use or that you've had the most success with? Thanks.

• Like 1

I use the camera now for a year now as my main camera: absolutely no problems. I just came back from a trip to Hong Kong where I used it in heavy downpour of rain, condensation danger and everything. It worked most reliable, no failures.

I am still inspired by its versatility, fastness and ability to see even in the dark with a proper working AF.

• Like 2

I use the camera now for a year now as my main camera: absolutely no problems. I just came back from a trip to Hong Kong where I used it in heavy downpour of rain, condensation danger and everything. It worked most reliable, no failures.

I am still inspired by its versatility, fastness and ability to see even in the dark with a proper working AF.

Exactly Same experience! Sorry I didn't bump into you in HK during last week. I kept my eyes open for Leica users. It was a struggle to keep the camera dry sometimes but I was amazed that it took the conditions so well. My flight was delayed 7 hours for final typhoon to pass on Friday night. At least I now have complete confidence in the system. Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

Exactly Same experience! Sorry I didn't bump into you in HK during last week. I kept my eyes open for Leica users. It was a struggle to keep the camera dry sometimes but I was amazed that it took the conditions so well. My flight was delayed 7 hours for final typhoon to pass on Friday night. At least I now have complete confidence in the system.

Oh my goodness, yes: the typhoon Haima almost hit us also. We spent our last day travelling with the A22 bus to the airport to get our flight rebooked because we were told that we would probably get stuck for another couple of days. We then decided byuing new tickets (very pricey  :angry:  :( ) but better than all other options. When boadring was delayed for the captain fell sick, takeoff was finally at 2 a.m.) When we saw the pictures of the devastating cyclone we felt glad to have left just in time.

Yeah, I also tried to spot a few Leica photographers but hardly traced out perhaps only 2. Mostly when I was asked it happened whether this is a Fuji.....Thanks for sharing the weatherproof Leica Q....

• Like 1

Guest jvansmit

I had an issue late last year with the focus tab catch not locking when switching from manual back to auto focus which meant a replacement of the entire lens assembly. The camera has been fine since then despite multiple dings after 17 months of use

• Like 1

I'm not in the market for a Q (opps, never say never!) but it's nice to read of many satisfied Q users  :)

robert

Well I'm on my third one.

1st camera worked without fault for just over a year with daily use until it suddenly filled up with dust spots all over the sensor and a sticking shutter button. Rather than repair it they just replaced it.

2nd camera had to be replaced due to lens being softer towards one side

3rd camera working fine

I would add that I do think that generally speaking this is a pretty tough well made camera that is only let down for reportage work in all situations by it's lack of weather sealing. A properly sealed Q would be the ultimate photojournalist camer

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1

Well I'm on my third one.

1st camera worked without fault for just over a year with daily use until it suddenly filled up with dust spots all over the sensor and a sticking shutter button. Rather than repair it they just replaced it.

2nd camera had to be replaced due to lens being softer towards one side

3rd camera working fine

I would add that I do think that generally speaking this is a pretty tough well made camera that is only let down for reportage work in all situations by it's lack of weather sealing. A properly sealed Q would be the ultimate photojournalist camer

i

I accept your opinions on the basis that you appear to be using the Q regularly and intensely. You haven't given up just because you had failures. Could you tell us what you think your shutter count is per annum.

Thanks.