Advertisement (gone after registration)

I own an MP and an M6 and find I use the M6 more often. It is slightly lighter and has a film re-wind crank instead of a knob which make its a lot easier to use. Is there something about the MP that make is superior to the M6 body? It cost a lot more money than the M6.

• Like 3

Nostalgia maybe :p .

Or for love of very fine finished product.

Years ago I have had for two moments MP (one time as .85) to "replace" my M6s.

I failed to do that, so those MP sold.

Two years ago, I failed again but the other way by fault of Leica who released M-A that is just meterless MP :rolleyes: .

I have both, the finder is much better in the mp, in frontlight one can see the difference.

I had my M6 classic upgraded with the mp-finder. Now the difference to the mp is only the

outer look and the rewind crank. I love both and will not miss one of them...Go for both:)

the black enamel is cool

Edited by leicaoptik

If you use film and an M9/M240 too, your M6TTL has an identical time wheel. You can have the viewfinder of your M6TTL replaced, if you think you must, but this feature is unique.

Brass versus Zinc.

Like Caviar versus cheeseburger.

You have to take a look under your 0,3mm Caviar- Cover. And then you will find the same parts as they are under the "Cheesburger"-Cover. And probably the cheesburgers do have a

iso-dial on the back that will work for 30 Years+ and don´t fall of after 5 Years, as it sometimes does on the caviar- one...  And the Cheesburger- workers did have much mire time to build their stuff back in the days.

• Like 5

I own an MP and an M6 and find I use the M6 more often. It is slightly lighter and has a film re-wind crank instead of a knob which make its a lot easier to use. Is there something about the MP that make is superior to the M6 body? It cost a lot more money than the M6.

The MP is a later model, still available new so that is reflected in the price new or used. As said the top plate is brass, rather than alloy and the MP has an improved finder that is less likely to flare.

They're all relatively minor points and the photos will look the same regardless.

Yes: body, viewfinder, electrical system, are al better in the MP.

But the M6 takes the same film, so if you think the MP is to expensive, try to sell it.

• Like 1

You have to take a look under your 0,3mm Caviar- Cover. And then you will find the same parts as they are under the "Cheesburger"-Cover. And probably the cheesburgers do have a

iso-dial on the back that will work for 30 Years+ and don´t fall of after 5 Years, as it sometimes does on the caviar- one... And the Cheesburger- workers did have much mire time to build their stuff back in the days.

Yawn.

Sure, it's all the same yadda yadda. But this is Leica and a little immersion in their history will show you why ZINC was such an ungraceful move.

Again: chesseburger vs. Caviar.

Yes: body, viewfinder, electrical system, are al better in the MP.

But the M6 takes the same film, so if you think the MP is to expensive, try to sell it.

Well I will keep both and use both. I had the M6 viewfinder upgraded. But I am curious about the electrical system in the MP. What it makes it better than the M6? 

Edited by Roger Pellegrini

Well I will keep both and use both. I had the M6 viewfinder upgraded. But I am curious about the electrical system in the MP. What it makes it better than the M6? 

The M6 system had some flaws. I remember a M6 of mine who lost it's battery capacity in three hours due to this failiure. The MP has the electrical system build up new. ( You can see the difference in the link above. )

the same functional camera but different builds and aesthetics. If i want to spend more money probably i choose the MP. the design and build -- beautiful. But if i get more practical i'll take the M6 and spend the rest for lenses. more likely i will get the same photos with these cameras. 

the same functional camera but different builds and aesthetics. If i want to spend more money probably i choose the MP. the design and build -- beautiful. But if i get more practical i'll take the M6 and spend the rest for lenses. more likely i will get the same photos with these cameras. 

A use MP will cost about €2000-2800 . A use M €500-1850. If you chose the MP you will never have to " upgrade " IMHO.

A use MP will cost about €2000-2800 . A use M €500-1850. If you chose the MP you will never have to " upgrade " IMHO.

Whatever film M you get, you never have to upgrade.

Upgrade to what? A different finish? A different rewind and advance? A different metal? It's not like M6's (or the 'cheapened' M4-2/P) are all failing because they were built so cheaply. They have been working flawlessly for over 30 years.

Now, 'want' to upgrade is a different story... but it's not a 'need'

• Like 6

The M6 system had some flaws. I remember a M6 of mine who lost it's battery capacity in three hours due to this failiure. The MP has the electrical system build up new. ( You can see the difference in the link above. )

Was that a TTL M6? I've heard stories like that about the TTL, but not the classic.

The M7 had new electronics too, but then had loads of problems with the DX reader.

• Like 1

Was that a TTL M6? I've heard stories like that about the TTL, but not the classic.

The M7 had new electronics too, but then had loads of problems with the DX reader.

My M6 (classic, not TTL) also had this problem or a similar one. It turned out that it had issues with  contact in the shutter release. The switch failed to disengage, thus stopping the light meter from turning off.

• Like 3

M6 " classic"  2184645 if I remember well

• Like 1