WATE Focus issues

tsleica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just thought today...as I had bought a WATE 16/18/21 a couple of months ago used in mint cond..and am using it on an A7 as I don't have a digital M body yet..

But I noticed it changes focus a bit when you change the focal length from 16 to 18 or 21....and then you need to refocus it for the new setting...as it goes out by a couple of inches...

I have adjusted to this..but if I get an M body soon..I'm wondering will the lens focus correctly..as in..is there an adjustment for the rangefinder body that I'm not aware of..for this lens to keep it in focus..or does my lens have an issue here..?

Thx in advance for those who have worked with this lens on their M's..and can bring this into perspective for me..

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just thought today...as I had bought a WATE 16/18/21 a couple of months ago used in mint cond..and am using it on an A7 as I don't have a digital M body yet..

But I noticed it changes focus a bit when you change the focal length from 16 to 18 or 21....and then you need to refocus it for the new setting...as it goes out by a couple of inches...

I have adjusted to this..but if I get an M body soon..I'm wondering will the lens focus correctly..as in..is there an adjustment for the rangefinder body that I'm not aware of..for this lens to keep it in focus..or does my lens have an issue here..?

Thx in advance for those who have worked with this lens on their M's..and can bring this into perspective for me..

Ok, I own this lens and I'm trying to understand what you are saying.  You are saying that at 16mm/f4.0,  you change to say 18mm by zooming, and the lens changes focus by an inch?  How would you be able to tell?

Rick

Just look at live view...and you can plainly see...the lens does not hold focus as you increase or decrease focal length..

I was surprised at this..

I didn't measure this exactly..didn't need to..as its all there on the screen..its probably several inches off at 8' when you zoom...or an inch or 2 at close up..

Hello Everybody,

Many early zoom lenses were "parfocal". Meaning that as a person changed focal lengths the plane of focus remained where it had been.

Later, some manufacturers began to build lenses that were "varifocal". Meaning that the lens had to be re-focused after changing the focal length.

This was done to save money in manufacture since their were less variables to solve for. This allowed a lens to be smaller, lighter & less expensive to manufacture.

The same with apertures.

Early zoom lenses had fixed apertures regardless of what focal length people would zoom to. Variable aperture lenses allowed for smaller, lighter & less expensive lenses to manufacture since there were less variables to solve for.

1 advantage of zoom lenses with non-changing focal planes & non-changing apertures is that a person can zoom to the longest focal length, focus more accurately & meter more accurately & then adjust the focal length to cover the scene appropriately & then not have to refocus or to re-meter the scene.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

I don't own a WATE so I might well be wrong but I seem to remember reading that it's not actually a true zoom lens but is classed as variable focal length.

It is a zoom.  The only M zoom made.  The MATE is the one you are thinking of.  The MATE is not a true zoom.

Rick

But if the focus moves will the focus scale on the lens not be wrong?

The distance scale, for the matter of focus difference of a couple inches over eight feet, is not accurate.

If you move the focus ring ever so slightly with aperture wide open you'll see what I mean.