What's this for

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone tell me what this is on the Hasselblad 40mm disoriented lens

The outside dial which has the infinity scale plus 2,0.9,0.557c2ab11d437b5315d6e5334453b1bca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It makes your picture better;-) Google FLE - It´s the same as in the 35 Summilux.

You mean it will make a blur picture sharp and a black and white color???? ........... it doesn't have to be like pulling teeth :)

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I got that Jaapv but when I move it I don't see anything happening ........ I guess it's too minute to notice.... for me anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil, it is (as someone mentioned) a 'floating element' scale. The idea is that this 'fine-tunes' the image to give maximum sharpness. You must set the small front scale first, to the approx distance you'll be working at, then focus with the normal focus scale. If you focus first, then use the small front floating scale the image will not be very sharp. (This is taken from my Hasselblad Manual by Ernst Wildi). If you mainly work at longer distances, leave it at the infinity setting and you'll be fine.

When working as a professional years ago, I once carried a Hasselblad outfit (3 lenses, three film backs, many rolls of film) on a long trip to India & Nepal, as the client wanted MF transparencies. This was followed by many more trips to Bali, Jamaica, the Middle East and around Europe. Of course, the client also wanted 35mm as well......very tiring, but I guess I had more energy then (and the airports and airlines weren't so difficult to deal with, generally).

Geoff

• Like 1

Guest chipcarterdc

I can't tell if Neil is playing a character (an annoying one) - what with all the misspellings, lack of punctuation, and constant grammatical problems; repeatedly wasting forum members' time by asking questions that could easily be answered on his own; and making various statements that make it seem that he knows very little about photography and has little interest in learning (other than looking for quick and easy answers on this forum to the basic questions he repeatedly posts)- or if this is really him.

I can't tell if Neil is playing a character (an annoying one) - what with all the misspellings, lack of punctuation, and constant grammatical problems; repeatedly wasting forum members' time by asking questions that could easily be answered on his own; and making various statements that make it seem that he knows very little about photography and has little interest in learning (other than looking for quick and easy answers on this forum to the basic questions he repeatedly posts)- or if this is really him.

If you don't like it, don't answer - It's that simple. Neil is honest enough to admit when he doesn't know something, which is an admirable quality in my book.

Neil's phone is a wonderful piece of kit - A constant source of re-interprative humour.

• Like 2

If you don't like it, don't answer - It's that simple. Neil is honest enough to admit when he doesn't know something, which is an admirable quality in my book.

Neil's phone is a wonderful piece of kit - A constant source of re-interprative humour.

Honestly, while I think Neil has a good eye, he's got a simply smashing pair of legs. 

David

• Like 3

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Neil, it is (as someone mentioned) a 'floating element' scale. The idea is that this 'fine-tunes' the image to give maximum sharpness. You must set the small front scale first, to the approx distance you'll be working at, then focus with the normal focus scale. If you focus first, then use the small front floating scale the image will not be very sharp. (This is taken from my Hasselblad Manual by Ernst Wildi). If you mainly work at longer distances, leave it at the infinity setting and you'll be fine.

When working as a professional years ago, I once carried a Hasselblad outfit (3 lenses, three film backs, many rolls of film) on a long trip to India & Nepal, as the client wanted MF transparencies. This was followed by many more trips to Bali, Jamaica, the Middle East and around Europe. Of course, the client also wanted 35mm as well......very tiring, but I guess I had more energy then (and the airports and airlines weren't so difficult to deal with, generally).

Geoff

Thanks a lot Geoff............got it all in the tally book mate.

• Like 1

Guest chipcarterdc

If you don't like it, don't answer - It's that simple.

Thanks for that sage advice. I am aware that one can choose simply not to respond; I also think it's common courtesy to put in a modicum of effort to discover an answer for oneself before asking a question, and also to try to write in understandable sentences. But hey, y'all have fun with Neil and I'll follow your advice: I'm out.

• Like 1