Leica T and new Summarin 28 f/5.6

Uh, no, not for me. Might for an M for nostalgia and for the compact and lightweight properties. I understand it has a lot of vigneting. Also, your paying a lot for a manual M lens if you don't already have an M. Why? And it looks terrible with the hood, IMHO.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are indeed

But this one would permit everything to be in focus beyond 1m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As would any other 28mm lens stopped down to f5.6 or f8*

*not in focus but within a range of 'acceptable' focus. f11 would give you 1.5M to infinity.

Edited by earleygallery
  • Like 1

Honestly I find this "new" lens as ridiculous as their up-priced new-color Q.

Get a 28mm f2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH for 2 stops faster, $200 less, and available in stock right now.  

It's all of 1cm longer, and 15g heavier.

Or go authentic vintage and buy an original 28/5.6 Summaron on eBay for about $1500 less.

Thank you all for your feedback and thoughts

A year ago I purchased a Q with the so venerated FF sensor and super duper fast 28/1.7 lens

It produced really good results which I am still struggling to upload on flickr 

However what I found really horrid  was the lens distortion

and as I prefer spending more time shooting pictures (more fun)

rather than in PP (pain in the a$$ except a few taps on Snapseed, or other app) I sold it for a T.

This is being used currently with Summilux and I'm very happy.

Was just looking for something wide and compact (pocketable) which has better quality than an iphone.

Maybe I should consider the LOMO LC-A MINITAR-1.... :p  :p  :p

Thank you all for your feedback and thoughts

A year ago I purchased a Q with the so venerated FF sensor and super duper fast 28/1.7 lens

rather than in PP (pain in the a$$ except a few taps on Snapseed, or other app) I sold it for a T.

This is being used currently with Summilux and I'm very happy.

Was just looking for something wide and compact (pocketable) which has better quality than an iphone.

Maybe I should consider the LOMO LC-A MINITAR-1.... :p  :p  :p

Well, not sure about the distortion with the Q as have one along with a T and M, and have to say the Q is superb. But think you will be much happier with the 23mm t lens than this funky new M lens if you are looking for light and compact. Plus, you can use all the auto focus stuff with a T lens versus the other which would be all manual, which sounds to me may not be your preference if you bought a Q and then a T instead of an M. The 23mm is very compact. For me, it's a boring lens but the images are just fine. I use it for quickly documenting something. But when I want to take really nice photos I use my M lenses on the T. However, they take more time and thought to focus and manual set timing, ISO, and stops. But that is what I prefer.
  • Like 1

I quite frankly have no idea what you mean...  The Q is probably the most popular camera Leica released in the last few years and it is an excellent camera.. 

With regards to the T, If you already have a Summilux I probably wouldn't bother with this new lens...

Edited by JorisV

I quite frankly have no idea what you mean... The Q is probably the most popular camera Leica released in the last few years and it is an excellent camera..

With regards to the T, If you already have a Summilux I probably wouldn't bother with this new lens...

While the Q is very popular it still has many shortcomings and myself could not live with one of them.

People who can get rid of them in post-processing may not get bothered as me.

Summilux is another story.

I was just intrigued by its compact dimension and the lack of distortion in the images posted. Vignetting one may argue is possibly an issue.

Will wait to see real life pictures.

Well, not sure about the distortion with the Q as have one along with a T and M, and have to say the Q is superb. But think you will be much happier with the 23mm t lens than this funky new M lens if you are looking for light and compact. Plus, you can use all the auto focus stuff with a T lens versus the other which would be all manual, which sounds to me may not be your preference if you bought a Q and then a T instead of an M. The 23mm is very compact. For me, it's a boring lens but the images are just fine. I use it for quickly documenting something. But when I want to take really nice photos I use my M lenses on the T. However, they take more time and thought to focus and manual set timing, ISO, and stops. But that is what I prefer.

Leica T is a nice & compact camera so I went for this. The new Summaron looks interesting for the same reason.

When M mount cameras will become as slim as film M mount I may consider my vision no away from the T.

While the Q is very popular it still has many shortcomings and myself could not live with one of them.

I was just intrigued by its compact dimension and the lack of distortion in the images posted. Vignetting one may argue is possibly an issue.

I guess we probably shoot different things or have a different sensitivity towards distortions.

I have shot about 10,000 images with the Q and it hasn't bothered me...

As far as the Summaron is concerned, the vignetting is an essential part of the characteristics of this lens, if I have understood it correctly.  If you don't like that you should probably steer away from this lens.

It is a super sexy lens, lightweight, compact but also overpriced and probably less value for money than the Elmarit-M 28mm/f2.8 and certainly a whole lot slower...

Edited by JorisV
  • Like 1

There are quite a few photo examples of the older version of this lens recently under the M lens forum. Excellent photos. However, I can almost guarantee a lot of post processing! It certainly is an intriqueing little lens for compact qualities and I haven't totally made up my mind if I would buy for my M 246 or not. But see no reason to get for the T. Besides the fact it is overpriced, you add on the M to T ring which negates the compact qualities and not cheap either. Plus cropped on the T. Makes for an expensive slow manual lens on the T. But if is what you really want, go for it.

There are quite a few photo examples of the older version of this lens recently under the M lens forum. Excellent photos. However, I can almost guarantee a lot of post processing! It certainly is an intriqueing little lens for compact qualities and I haven't totally made up my mind if I would buy for my M 246 or not. But see no reason to get for the T. Besides the fact it is overpriced, you add on the M to T ring which negates the compact qualities and not cheap either. Plus cropped on the T. Makes for an expensive slow manual lens on the T. But if is what you really want, go for it.

Honestly I am after something compact and fun, which is not a P&S :)

The T 23mm Cummicron does not look exciting at all.

Maybe MtoT adapter and Summaron will equal its size and must be slower, still the glass on the summaron looks better.

Will peek at the older summaron images and sit back and think :-)

Would also consider MS apoqualia lens or to the M-mount-Minitar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honestly I am after something compact and fun, which is not a P&S :)

The T 23mm Cummicron does not look exciting at all.

Maybe MtoT adapter and Summaron will equal its size and must be slower, still the glass on the summaron looks better.

Will peek at the older summaron images and sit back and think :-)

Would also consider MS apoqualia lens or to the M-mount-Minitar.

I totally agree on the 23 Summicron. You might also look at M mount Zeiss or Voigtlander lenses. Of my M lenses, I use mostly an older version of the 35mm Summicron that is very light and compact, had for over 23 years. But I would never consider the price of the Summaron for the T, or any other new M lens. It would be nice if Leica were to make some manual lenses meant for the T at much cheaper prices, but that will never happen. The price of the T lenses out there don't make a lot of sense. Anyway, I applaud your wanting something different. Good luck!
  • Like 1

I totally agree on the 23 Summicron. You might also look at M mount Zeiss or Voigtlander lenses. Of my M lenses, I use mostly an older version of the 35mm Summicron that is very light and compact, had for over 23 years. But I would never consider the price of the Summaron for the T, or any other new M lens. It would be nice if Leica were to make some manual lenses meant for the T at much cheaper prices, but that will never happen. The price of the T lenses out there don't make a lot of sense. Anyway, I applaud your wanting something different. Good luck!

We agree that Leica will not release any time soon manual lenses for the TL although it is something that other manufacturers do already.

I found my ZM lenses (25, 35, 50) very crisp and well built lenses, however I kept only the first one as the other two went towards the 50lux.

Consider a 25mm Snapshot Skopar f4. It has click stops for 3 focus points so stopped down you can quickly focus on pretty much any point for street photography.

It's an LTM mount so you'll need an LTM adaptor and then the M to T.

Possibly a more effective solution for you.

Thank you for your input.

I'm probably unaware of this lens probably because it's an LTM so I'll have to look into this. Stacking adaptors does not inspire me although as I've heard by others works usually well.

As said above Minitar is something I would also consider, as well as MS optical lenses lens caps ;-)