First film M; which one?

indio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Vacillating like a yoyo from M6 to M7 to used MP. MP is pricey, no doubt. I already have a digital M so rangefinder is not new to me but shooting film will be. I don't intend to sell/trade up etc the film M so that is not a factor/concern. 

Right now M7 is top of my list then M6 and MP at the bottom. MP solely because it looks and feels different when held in hand (not operation). I know this is a very subjective one but am just curious to hear other thoughts.

Thank you

Edited by indio

I had the M6 TTL and now own the M-A. I see no reason to buy the M7, I would rather prefer the MP. These cameras are certainly all good, they do what they are supposed to do. My choice was purely emotional due to the fact that I prefer  working with an external meter which I have anyway.

If shooting film is new to you I would recommend to first start with a cheaper camera as certainly it will take a while until get satisfying results. Buy a used M6 then. There are plenty available for a reasonable price, if you don´t mind scratches. Shooting film and not processing and finally printing by yourself is pointless in my opinion. Than better stay with digital.  

I also have M digital (2 cam) but now back to film with M7 and MP , photos more beautiful

in the artistic sense of the term. No comparison and without appeal !

My suggestion M6 or M7 or MP , all are good cameras ... or M3 and M-A ! :)

Don't forget lens like Summicron or if you can Summilux 50 or 35mm depending on your

photo style.

Look at this thread

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/page-1141?do=findComment&comment=3131742

Best

H.

Edited by Doc Henry

All M's are good. I like the simplicity of the Leica M2 view finder.

If you go more modern:

From M6 TTL on, the speed button turns the same way as the digital M's. Any older M turns the opposite way.

This can make using older M alongside of digital M more confusing for some users.

Thanks for response but I am sorry I don't quite understand what you mean by this?

I am not sure wether you are willing to do your own processing and printing. These days photo labs are hard to find, at least where I live. You can either have the films processed and scanned by someone else and you will have a kind of film look which can also be achieved by software or you can commit yourself to the full process which means you go for darkroom prints. For me only the latter choice makes sense. 

VHF I do myself color and B&W development , scan for posting, and print on silver paper with

size enlargement as I want (Focomat enlarger)

A great pleasure !

Rg

H

I agree, it is really a pleasure! I returned to film after 13 years of digital! I already started in 1981!

Best Theodor

• Like 1

I am not sure wether you are willing to do your own processing and printing. These days photo labs are hard to find, at least where I live. You can either have the films processed and scanned by someone else and you will have a kind of film look which can also be achieved by software or you can commit yourself to the full process which means you go for darkroom prints. For me only the latter choice makes sense. 

Oh yeah that is a good point. I won't be doing my own processing (at least in the beginning).

Theodor and Indio , some useful reading before the choice :

http://www.apotelyt.com/photo-camera/leica-m

https://www.cameraquest.com/mguide.htm

some info about film :

http://curatingcuteness.com/2013/05/35mm-film-guide/

Good choice and good photos

See you in film thread :)

M Range Finder (optical and mechanical)  is the best way to shoot

"at the decisive moment" à la Henri Cartier Bresson

Regards

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

Oh yeah that is a good point. I won't be doing my own processing (at least in the beginning).

Indio, it's different strokes for different folks. Some do their own b&w, C41, and E6 developing and printing; Some outsource all developing and scanning / printing; Some do a mix. For me, I develop and scan my own B&W, but outsource C41 developing, and don't currently print at all. I'll go back to B&W printing when / if I retire.

Pick and change whatever path you want. You can try bouncing around lots of different films, or try honing your skills on a single emulsion, or a mix of the two. Whatever you do, buy the camera that you can and like, and enjoy the experience. When something doesn't turn out as expected, there is a reason, and probably someone on here can direct you as to what that reason may be.

Make sure you post your results on the "I like film..." thread, where you are sure to get a warm welcome.

• Like 1

You're welcome Theodor :)

For Indio , here my 2 companions  who follow me every where , including my last humanitarian

med. mission in SE Asia in september 2016 (see photos in film thread) :)

M7 + Summilux 35 Asph left and MP + Summicron 28 Asph right

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M8-50 Summilux Asph

Leica hand grip is very useful better than strap :)

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

You could save a dollar or two by getting the M6 (the prehistoric relic now called the "classic") instead of the M6 TTL. When the TTL came out, I was astonished to discover the vast inferiority (!) of the original M6 because of the shutter dial, which is "too small" and (horror of horrors!) turns the "wrong way." As a mathematician, I must admit to a bit of confusion regarding "wrong way," since, strictly speaking, a dial rotates; it does not move either to the left or the right, unless you are looking at an imaginary point at the top of the dial or a point on the bottom of the dial. If you rotate the dial clockwise, the top moves to the right, the bottom moves to the left, and vice-versa for counterclockwise rotation. Oh well.....

Tongue-in-cheek aside, there is a significant difference between the M6 and M7 besides exposure automation. Like its predecessors, the M6 is purely mechanical and is fully functional without a battery (except for the meter), whereas most of the shutter speeds of the M7 are electronic. The functionality of the M7 is severely compromised if the battery dies.

The M7 is likely to be the most similar to your Digital M that you already have in that it has an automatic setting and has TTL flash plus DX coding.

The MP is fully mechanical and other than the meter will operate at all shutter speeds without the battery - as will the M6.

Personally I would go for the MP because if you are going to shoot film then to me at least the MP is more like an original Leica or if you will how they used to be made.

How about though a complete change and get a M4 or M4P, which is basically an M6 without the meter. M4P is a very very nice Leica and because it's not considered to be as "sexy" as say an old M3 or M2 the prices are much cheaper and you get the same Leica experience from it.

After your post I looked into M4-P as well. There is a M4-P Everest in excellent condition that I can buy for <= $800.  I am nowhere closer to making a decision than I was before (first world problems)  :unsure:

• Like 3

Shooting film and not processing and finally printing by yourself is pointless in my opinion. Than better stay with digital.  

I often read similar comments to this online. Prior to digital cameras being more common you'd never have heard such a comment. 

Yes, processing and printing yourself is great, but not for everyone. Few pro's would do their own P&P - they had their own lab technicians for that or outsourced it. 

What about all of us who used to love Kodachrome? We had to let Kodak dunk it in the soup for us. If only I knew back then that by not doing the processing myself made it pointless to use Kodachrome. Oh well, wasted years. 

• Like 2

I have pretty much the same dilemma, I've been looking at the M2 for a long time, but I can also see the advantages of the M3, M4 and M6.

I'm going to solve the problem by going to my closest Leica dealer, play with whatever he has in stock and buy whichever one I prefer on that day.

• Like 2

Vacillating like a yoyo from M6 to M7 to used MP. MP is pricey, no doubt. I already have a digital M so rangefinder is not new to me but shooting film will be. I don't intend to sell/trade up etc the film M so that is not a factor/concern.

Right now M7 is top of my list then M6 and MP at the bottom. MP solely because it looks and feels different when held in hand (not operation). I know this is a very subjective one but am just curious to hear other thoughts.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the M6 TTL. Firstly it is all mechanical apart from the metering which means it will keep on working if the battery fails. I put a 3v Lithium in mine and it lasts about a year. It works like a digital M too, so the speed dial turns in a logical direction in relation to the viewfinder arrows. Correct exposure is indicted by a dot between the over and under arrows at the bottom of the viewfinder. Then there is the viewfinder- there are a good few iterations of this camera worth researching. For wide enthusiasts who wear specs there is the 0.58 which I have, but this has no 135mm frame. It all requires consideration, but once you pick the one that suits you, you'll become a film addict. There is nothing like developing and scanning your own and then processing in Photoshop for that hand crafted feel. It is worth it. My favourite shot of my daughter is with the CZ Sonnar f1.5 on Kodak Portra 160.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk