Super Angulon 21mm 3.4 for portraits ?

Estevao69

Rules aren't created by stupid motives. Rules simply become, naturally.

The earth is round

Water is wet

Sugar is sweet

A big nose is hardly beautiful

And so on

I must have missed the rule that said portraits have to be beautiful.

Incidentally, over here where I live, a big nose is considered beautiful, and people pay small fortunes to acquire them.

You're a

The earth is round
Water is wet
Sugar is sweet
And so on

You're absolutely right - if your sole aim is to make beautiful and flattering portraits (e.g. school prom shots, classic Hollywood). Plenty of people want that - that's why Portrait Pro sells. 

There are other ways of taking portraits. 

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

I must have missed the rule that said portraits have to be beautiful.

Incidentally, over here where I live, a big nose is considered beautiful, and people pay small fortunes to acquire them.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder no?

I agree that a portrait doesn't have to be beautiful. Far to better to show an insight into a person than show a false idealistic 'beauty'.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The earth is round

Water is wet

Sugar is sweet

And so on

Works for portraits of elephants tho: makes the trunk look big and the ears look small.

Is it good? Could you show me some pictures with it?

Thanks a lot 

I stumbled just now in your question... and add to give a contribute with a personal example, to mean that imho it can be good, provided that the peculiarity of 21mm has a sense in the context of what you want to catch,

This is an old picture (scan of a 1997 print, M4 with Super Angulon 21 3,4 - probably at 5,6 or 8) , my 10 months old daughter was in that magical phase in which you feel the struggle to stand up on her own feet... to experience what is the world when seen from a different perspective... to see those tall people that are around you from a point from which, at least, you can confront yourself with them with a bit more of freedom.... 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

...So even if the perspective is odd, I thought that 21 wasn't bad to evidence that it's all a matter of what is in her HEAD, the struggle, fear and willingness to gain a new experience in  her taking the consciousness of the world to which your Young life has to confront with.

• Like 8

I don't have a SA, but I've used a 20 and 15mm lens for some experimental portraits. Personally it didn't work for me, being more of a traditionalist, but if you want to give it a try, why not? You may discover the technique which gives you the results you seek. Some may say the results are unflattering, but that may not be your goal, others may say "wow, that's really creative"! I remember one of the early advocates of the 15mm Heliar, Herb Kaplan, a former newspaper photographer, took hundreds of self portraits showing himself interacting with his environment.

• 2 weeks later...