cheers from Zagreb :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello to all :)

I am new here and new to film cameras, kind of.

Used to shoot film in high school when I didn't really pay attention to photography as a medium, just a tool to keep some memories. Then, years later fell in love in video production and bought the canon 5dmk2 (that I finally sold two weeks ago). Having that camera helped me learn very fast so I started both shooting music videos and do photography, events and anything really. Not saying that I am a pro, I just get by doing projects I really like and fitting my hobby to become my second best work skill. 

My "real job" is leather craft. I have a small workshop here in Zagreb, Croatia. We used to make a lot of high quality stuff for police and security agencies, but I have expanded my field to a lot of custom work (custom stuff for harley bikes, musicians and lately photographers). That way the creative juices are always flowing. Combining high quality standards, durability and cool designs gets you long way... 

Of all my friends I got stuck on digital cameras for the longest time. Cause they used film for fun and research, while I was more or less working with my cams. At some point I did not know where the work stops and I needed a step back, slower gear... Manual focus lenses were the first slower gear. Every time I would travel to UK my camera bag was heavier and bigger and the basic kit I really needed was so simple. That I have solved with Sony a7s. A really cool little camera for work, but still the colors are a big problem there... 

This summer I finally decided to get a film camera for a trip my girlfriend and I was planning. We bought an old olympus OM10. We went to Tre Cime, Italy, and hiked a lot around Dolomites. We used both the canon and olympus and were so excited to get home and develop all the rolls. When we did that and compared the pics to the digital ones I just felt like all the time I was messing around in raw converter I was actually looking for this film photo. And not just that, a lot of the colors were not even present in the digital pics... The digital ones had more detail and they seem sharper and so, but film is something else...

To cut the long story short. I have decided to get a decent film camera and Leica was my first choice along with the Hasselblad 500... Hass lost due its size. 

A couple weeks ago I decided to sell my canon to get some more traveling money (as I am going to USA for a month, to shoot pics and do some video) and a couple days later Leica M3 from 1955. knocks at my door. What could I do :D

So that is how I got here...

Sorry for the long intro but I just drank a cup of coffee and I am getting ready to re skin my M3... Pics of that soon ;)

cheers,

S

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Welcome here. With the M3 and a 5o mm lens, do all of it... at least, that is what I came to , in the end.

JM

Thank you kindly :)

It came with 50mm f2 collapsible Summicron lens... I am getting used to rangefinder so It might be my mistake but from the first roll of film I have shot there were a lot of missed focus ones (back focusing wide open...)... It seems I should get the camera for adjusting. I shot another roll with my new Voigtlander 40mm nokton so I will see if the results are similar... Here is a pic wide open and focus running from closer eye to the further one... Even with that I love the portrait :)

14700997_10154654971714443_6054520195719