Leica Summaron-28 -image thread

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In combination with the M10 the Summaron ist even capable of producing great evening shots:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M10, ISO 3200

• Like 3

M10, ISO 100

• Like 4

But I'm not sure it should be used for many architectural shots.

No question that this lens does not cover todays professional purposes. Never forget, it`s more or less the technical standard of the fifties. That said, it produces remarkable quality pictures. I love this lens, it`s compact size and it`s look !

• Like 2

Dear Leica friends,

This is just to let you know that the reason why I am selling this beauty is because my eyes are getting worse, and I have decided to move to AF systems (Q or so).

This is also the reason why I have sold last week an 50mm APO Summicron.

So no technical reasons, only personal ones.

I attach an image that I have taken last week with the M10.

Cheers

John

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well nobody responded, so I did my own test! I bought a Nikkor 28cm in LTM, and took the same photo with the Nikkor, a Elmarit 28 ASPH, and what I consider side to be the "gold standard", a Summicron 35 ASPH. The Summicron is better, resolution wise, than the Elmarit, which is a bit better than the Nikkor...but all three are very nice, and the Nikkor may be acceptable for someone who wants to do street photography, but who can't afford the new Summaron, and as well as being a bit faster. As for the mount and general quality, the Nikkor is very nice. I do hope that Leica sells many Summaron 28's and makes a good profit on them, and that the folks who can afford it do actually use it to take pictures! 

• Like 1

folks who can afford it do actually use it to take pictures! 

What else would they do with it ? As many others have done you wrongly imply that it's an expensive lens. Ok, it is, but not in Leicaland. Go to any Leica dealer website and go to the new lens page. Sort by descending price and you'll find the Summaron quite a long way down in the list.

FYI: Following are examples of an original  28mm Summaron which has been thoroughly cleaned by Sherry some years ago. The first snapshot (my morning walk) was with lens detection off; the second was with the current lens coding. Processing was minimal and identical with a Wide Open aperture of F:/5.6. Stating the obvious: the photos were pretty close up with the point of focus (M9) being the first fence post. Regards, ron

Edited by Ronazle
  • Like 4

I disagree. HCB's soul divided by all Leica lenses, past and future, makes for an extremely small quantity of soul per lens. Just enough for magic to operate. Or at least on a psychological level.

Any more HCB-ism to share, anyone? Pics?

FYI: Following are examples of an original  28mm Summaron which has been thoroughly cleaned by Sherry some years ago. The first snapshot (my morning walk) was with lens detection off; the second was with the current lens coding. Processing was minimal and identical with a Wide Open aperture of F:/5.6. Stating the obvious: the photos were pretty close up with the point of focus (M9) being the first fence post. Regards, ron

post-7712-0-34395100-1491841129.jpg

post-7712-0-90079400-1491841191.jpg

attachicon.gifL7009910NCsml.jpg

attachicon.gifL7009909Csml.jpg

Great comparison; it looks like the lens coding reduces the vignetting.

...; it looks like the lens coding reduces the vignetting.

That's the main purpose of lens detection.

Though - the vignetting of the 28mm Summaron is an important part of its character. And why would one use a "substandard" outfashioned lens-design - if not for its character?

• Like 2

That's the main purpose of lens detection.

Though - the vignetting of the 28mm Summaron is an important part of its character. And why would one use a "substandard" outfashioned lens-design - if not for its character?

Actually the "main" purpose is to record the aperture and focal length off the lens, on which distortion, vignetting and aberration corrections depend.

Everyone has their own preference and it is nice to "toggle" the effect of corrections in Lightroom or Photoshop.

Actually the "main" purpose is to record the aperture and focal length off the lens, on which distortion, vignetting and aberration corrections depend.

Everyone has their own preference and it is nice to "toggle" the effect of corrections in Lightroom or Photoshop.

The aperture recording is a guess by the camera. Unreliable.

• jaapv changed the title to Leica Summaron-28 -image thread