Leica Summaron-28 -image thread

helged

I think is a sort of "test of the market" to verify how is, numerically, the interest towards high priced retro lenses... Others could follow(*)  if this one enjoys a decent success (I think that, say, 500 to 1000 items would mean already a decent return, at this pirice...)

(*) Summarex 85 ? Hektor 125 ? Thambar 90 ? :p

I agree with Luigi. This seems to be a form of 'soft launch' to test the market with no formal announcement from Leica Central. It seems to be restricted to stores of the Meister Group in Germany. It would be nice to think that Leica would produce a range of lenses based on older models. One of the attractions of the older models, however, is that you can use their so-called 'flaws' as features. An example of this is the 'look' produced by uncoated lenses which some of us really like. I imagine, however, that Leica would modernise any 'new' versions if they decide to proceed with a re-issue program and give the lenses the ability to produce the saturated and sharp look so valued in the digital era. That would be a pity as one might as well just purchase a modern lens. 

Based on the example I have, the output from the 2.8 cm f5.6 Summaron is one of the most modern coming from a vintage LTM lens. In terms of pure IQ it was a big improvement over the 2.8cm Hektor which it replaced. Whether it produced a nicer overall look is a more subjective question. Both lenses are extremely compact on an M camera; less so when you add the expensive and hard to find hoods.

William

Edited by willeica

Except there isn't a 28 Summarit and all the Summarits (except the 90) are under $2,000. The Summaron is over $2,400 at today's rates.

No, there is an Elmarit which is in the same bracket as and closely related to  the Summarit series @ 2200 Euro, which happens to be exactly the same as the Summaron.

It only makes sense to compare Euro prices for European products, not importer-set prices with currency fluctuations built in.

Actually I did own an Elmarit 28 and sold it as I found the rendering not to my taste. This lens sounds much more interesting to me. I look forward to seeing some results.

I agree with Luigi. This seems to be a form of 'soft launch' to test the market with no formal announcement from Leica Central. It seems to be restricted to stores of the Meister Group in Germany. It would be nice to think that Leica would produce a range of lenses based on older models. One of the attractions of the older models, however, is that you can use their so-called 'flaws' as features. An example of this is the 'look' produced by uncoated lenses which some of us really like. I imagine, however, that Leica would modernise any 'new' versions if they decide to proceed with a re-issue program and give the lenses the ability to produce the saturated and sharp look so valued in the digital era. That would be a pity as one might as well just purchase a modern lens. 

Based on the example I have, the output from the 2.8 cm f5.6 Summaron is one of the most modern coming from a vintage LTM lens. In terms of pure IQ it was a big improvement over the 2.8cm Hektor which it replaced. Whether it produced a nicer overall look is a more subjective question. Both lenses are extremely compact on an M camera; less so when you add the expensive and hard to find hoods.

William

Due to the design with the deep front element there will not be much need for a hood, especially on this version with modern coatings.

I think they did not modernize the rendering too much. It is advertised with an "analog-like rendering" The optical formula has been newly calculated, but is the same as the original lens.

I expect  it to be something like the Elmar-M 50, which is an all-time favorite to me.

Edited by jaapv

i think that due to the design with the deep front element there will not be much need for a hood, especially on this version with modern coatings.

I have the hoods for both the Summaron and the earlier Hektor and find that they both work well. I have never used these lenses without a hood, so I cannot talk about flare with no hood. I see from the Leica Berlin site that a hood is being offered for this lens. I have no idea whether the hood is included in the price but it should be. The rare hoods for the earlier models go for anything between a third and a half of the price of the lens.

William

Hello Everybody,

This new multicoated 28mm F5.6 Summaron which is an update of the earlier 28mm F5.6 Summaron which itself replaced the earlier 28mm F6.3 Hektor could also be something different than what some people are thinking:

The earlier 28mm F5.6 Double Gauss Summaron was an improvement of the preceding 28mm F6.3 Modified Triplet Hektor. This is partially because Double Gauss computations generally have better edge performance than Triplets do. Triplets tend to be at their best in the central 1/3d of their image circle.

This modern recomputation today, with its maximum aperture of F5.6, might allow Leica to build a 28mm lens with unrivaled performance characteristics at this focal length. This is because some of a lens's ability to form a better image depends on how much of that ability at a given aperture has to be compromised for some other performance characteristic at another aperture.

By limiting the maximum aperture to F5.6: This gives Leica a large amount of latitude in terms of NOT having to compromise with THIS over here to gain THAT over there: Because they do not had to deal with the larger apertures which are more troublesome to correct for.

We will see.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

Anyone out there use both the old Summaron and the new 28 Summarit who can comment on the "look" @ f/5.6? This does look very intriguing.

If MS Optical can sell its difficult-to-handle, simple triplet bodycaps for ~$700, a custom-ordered, updated double-Gauss design, with 6-bit coding is not unreasonable at ~$2k..

• Like 1

I had the lens in my hands at the LHSA annual meeting in Vancouver. I owned the original 5.6, and this one is a dead ringer for it. Only tip off that it is a new lens is the longer infinity catch/tab. Very jewel-like. Just beautiful. It looks like it has an LTM to M adapter, but it is a permanent M mount six bit coded. It had me fooled! It had the lens hood on it, very nice. I still prefer the crinkle finish of the old one. Here is the killer - I did not take any images with it! Situation did not allow me to try it out. Sorry to let you all down. Held it in my hands and played with it though. I think it will be a winner.

• Like 2

Irrespective of the cost, the lens is a beauty. For my eyes, at least. This holds for the original version of the lens as well, of course. 

Anyone to shed light on James' question below?

Anyone out there use both the old Summaron and the new 28 Summarit who can comment on the "look" @ f/5.6? This does look very intriguing.

No, there is an Elmarit which is in the same bracket as and closely related to the Summarit series @ 2200 Euro, which happens to be exactly the same as the Summaron.

It only makes sense to compare Euro prices for European products, not importer-set prices with currency fluctuations built in.

Actually I did own an Elmarit 28 and sold it as I found the rendering not to my taste. This lens sounds much more interesting to me. I look forward to seeing some results.

True, slightly more expensive than the Elmarit, and cheaper than the Summicron and Summilux. You, however, were (incorrectly) comparing it to the Summarit line. It's a (presumably) simpler lens than any other Leica 28mm, and at f/5.6 it's slow.

Priced slightly above the faster and (by some) highly regarded f/2.8 28 Elmarit, it's a stretch for you to say this isn't expensive. Predictable, but a stretch. It is cute, though.

Edited by IkarusJohn

Make it Brass and black paint and I might think about it, just for the fondling factor.

The word "bokeh" and the acronym GAS have conquered the photo-world.

"f f" = fondling factor might be the next big thing.

Edited by tri

True, slightly more expensive than the Elmarit, and cheaper than the Summicron and Summilux. You, however, were (incorrectly) comparing it to the Summarit line. It's a (presumably) simpler lens than any other Leica 28mm, and at f/5.6 it's slow.

Priced slightly above the faster and (by some) highly regarded f/2.8 28 Elmarit, it's a stretch for you to say this isn't expensive. Predictable, but a stretch. It is cute, though.

I am not comparing the Summaron to the Summarit line, but the Elmarit

• jaapv changed the title to Leica Summaron-28 -image thread