Card help

earlstone

+1 for 32 Gb SanDisk, the fastest Extreme Pro. For my work (landscape), I set the camera up as DNG + Jpeg, and the cards configured as backup, since I prefer security to speed (for landscape, I obviously don't need the fastest possible configuration). I don't think there is a need to go higher than 32 Gb, honestly. The latest and biggest cards are more prone to failure, and history teaches us that keeping 1 or 2 steps behind "state of the art" is always safer, both to prevent compatibility issues and card failures. Plus, I prefer not to keep all eggs in one basket. My setup still allows me to shoot about 600 images without having to change cards; I bring along 2 spare kits (2 CD + 2 SD, also 32 Gb) for a total capacity of more than 1.500 images. More than enough for my work. Of course, your needs might be different.

Best,

Vieri

I use the SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro (160MBS) CF card with a matching SD card in my S. I see no reason to skimp on spped or capacity in a $17K camera that produces files that big.

Gordon

I also use two 128MB cards, with the same rationale - and with no problems. Except my cards are the 95MB/sec version - this is what I was told by the Leica sales rep to use, at the time I bought the S007 last year. Not sure the S007 can write faster to the 160MB cards (but importing files should be faster, for sure).

Edited by albireo_double

I've gone away from using CF cards in recent years. These days, I stick to SD cards, mostly 64GB. My most used cards are the Transcend 600x 64GB UHS-I cards. These have been rock solid for tens of thousands of images. I have also used the SanDisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s, SanDisk UHS-II 280MB/s (though these are only faster in the SL - no speed advantage in the S007) and more recently the 1000x and 2000x Lexar cards (again, for video use in the SL). 

For a while now, I've adopted a singe-use mentality with SD cards. Not just with the S007, but also with M and SL. There is far less chance of failure if you only fill it up once then start a fresh card. The cost per image is a tiny fraction of what film cost and having a hard backup in case of catastrophic computer/SSD/NAS failure is somewhat reassuring. 

To minimize risk of corruption while shooting, I make sure to download new images daily, then just keep shooting until that card is full. Once full, I put it away and pop in a new fresh card. 

• Like 2

I've gone away from using CF cards in recent years. These days, I stick to SD cards, mostly 64GB. My most used cards are the Transcend 600x 64GB UHS-I cards. These have been rock solid for tens of thousands of images. I have also used the SanDisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s, SanDisk UHS-II 280MB/s (though these are only faster in the SL - no speed advantage in the S007) and more recently the 1000x and 2000x Lexar cards (again, for video use in the SL). 

For a while now, I've adopted a singe-use mentality with SD cards. Not just with the S007, but also with M and SL. There is far less chance of failure if you only fill it up once then start a fresh card. The cost per image is a tiny fraction of what film cost and having a hard backup in case of catastrophic computer/SSD/NAS failure is somewhat reassuring. 

To minimize risk of corruption while shooting, I make sure to download new images daily, then just keep shooting until that card is full. Once full, I put it away and pop in a new fresh card. 

I don't know if I agree with you.

I've had exactly three cards fail on me in a decade. All three were brand new cards that failed during their first use. Fortunately two failed within a few shots and the other I was able to recover the images used. I think two of them were either faulty or failed to initialise properly.

Cards that work, for me, seem to work over and over again. The majority of failures occur when formatting, initialising (putting it into the camera) or removing a card incorrectly.

As for the CF cards. I would prefer two SD cards but since the S has a CF slot I purchased a CF card with the camera. Not that big a deal.

Gordon

+1 for 32 Gb SanDisk, the fastest Extreme Pro. For my work (landscape), I set the camera up as DNG + Jpeg, and the cards configured as backup, since I prefer security to speed (for landscape, I obviously don't need the fastest possible configuration). I don't think there is a need to go higher than 32 Gb, honestly. The latest and biggest cards are more prone to failure, and history teaches us that keeping 1 or 2 steps behind "state of the art" is always safer, both to prevent compatibility issues and card failures. Plus, I prefer not to keep all eggs in one basket. My setup still allows me to shoot about 600 images without having to change cards; I bring along 2 spare kits (2 CD + 2 SD, also 32 Gb) for a total capacity of more than 1.500 images. More than enough for my work. Of course, your needs might be different.

Best,

Vieri

If it were a camera with a single slot I would agree with you. But with two copies of each file in camera it's incredibly unlikely both cards will be corrupted.

Plus 128GB is about 2 steps behind "state of the art". 512's are readily available and 1TB are manufactured.

Mostly I shoot with 64GB cards. I can get a full wedding on one. But I wasn't going to buy a bunch of CF cards for just one camera body so I went up a size.

Gordon

I use the SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro (160MBS) CF card with a matching SD card in my S. I see no reason to skimp on spped or capacity in a $17K camera that produces files that big.

Gordon

The only thing that worries me about large capacity cards is data loss, if a card corrupts you lose a lot of files, I prefer to use 32gb or even 64gb and have multiple cards, just a personal choice.

Rob

NB, I just seen the last post after I wrote this, dual write which is basically Raid 1 is a good back up and I agree its unlikely both cards could be corrupted.

Edited by RVB