Advertisement (gone after registration)

Of all the film M's I've tried (M3, M5, M6 TTL, M7 and MP) I like the M5 most. By far.

Maybe because of the shutter dial extending over the body due to which I never have to take the eye off the VF while changing shutter speeds. I absolutely hate taking the camera off my eye and fiddling with the scrawny dials on other bodies.

The exposure mechanism is also pretty cool for my taste.

The whole size and heft also feels good to me. The 2 lug idea is something I like as well.

So I went and bought an M5 a year or two ago. I put a few rolls through the camera and somehow some new toy or the other came along and I forgot about the M5.

I rediscovered it this evening but the batteries are dead. Wein cells supposedly do not last long to begin with.

I understand the camera can be used fully manually but I do want to replace the batteries.

From what I read, there is a simpler and more elegant approach than the weincells. What is this option and is it really better?

Also, what do I need to keep in mind while bringing my M5 back to a working state from a 1-2 year slumber?

I feel like taking it to Wetzlar for a CLA but I'm willing to avoid it if possible.

Camera is cosmetically, mechanically and optically like new, hasn't seen much use in its lifetime.

Will van Maanen can modify your camera so it will accept standard silveroxide batteries like the SR44. They will last much longer and the lightmeter will work flawlessly.

Will can do a CLA on the M5 as well.

He modified my M6 and gave it a CLA very much to my satisfaction.

• Like 1

Will van Maanen can modify your camera so it will accept standard silveroxide batteries like the SR44. They will last much longer and the lightmeter will work flawlessly.

Will can do a CLA on the M5 as well.

He modified my M6 and gave it a CLA very much to my satisfaction.

Given all parts are in good condition and no replacement parts are needed, how much will a CLA cost at the hands of WvM?

Most repair techs (like DAG & Sherry Krauter) can adjust the circuit to take a 1.5 v silver cell, but there are also adapters to make other batteries fit and work well. I've used the MR-9 adapter in my M5 - it is a diode circuit built into a shell shaped like a PX13 that takes a 386 silver cell and lowes the voltage to match a Mercury battery. It works very well.

There are also "empty shell" adapters that take standard hearing aid zinc cells (like a Wein cell but cheap and available everywhere).

I like to keep cameras original, so I use both of these in my collection.

The zinc cells (like Wein) have good capacity in constant use, but discharge over time once opened to air regardless of the circuit being turned off. The 386 cells have less capacity in heavy use, but last well while the camera is off.

Most repair techs (like DAG & Sherry Krauter) can adjust the circuit to take a 1.5 v silver cell, but there are also adapters to make other batteries fit and work well. I've used the MR-9 adapter in my M5 - it is a diode circuit built into a shell shaped like a PX13 that takes a 386 silver cell and lowes the voltage to match a Mercury battery. It works very well.

There are also "empty shell" adapters that take standard hearing aid zinc cells (like a Wein cell but cheap and available everywhere).

I like to keep cameras original, so I use both of these in my collection.

The zinc cells (like Wein) have good capacity in constant use, but discharge over time once opened to air regardless of the circuit being turned off. The 386 cells have less capacity in heavy use, but last well while the camera is off.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I'd like to keep this camera original so I'll go for the adapter solution.

Is there something I need to keep in mind while resuscitating it from a long slumber?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you for the detailed reply. I'd like to keep this camera original so I'll go for the adapter solution.

Is there something I need to keep in mind while resuscitating it from a long slumber?

2 years is not a long slumber. I'd run the shutter through all the speeds a few times to give it a wake up. If after that it sounds off (the 1/15th sound for example) then think about a CLA, but I generally try to avoid them unless something is really bad. So my 2c is if it sounds good and the patch aligns then no CLA.

• Like 1

Agree that if the speeds all seem fine, and everything works OK, then all the camera needs is regular use. I think the M5 is the nicest M for shooting with. I have one and use the MR9 battery adapter. I fitted a new 386 battery, along with the adapter two years ago and it's still going strong. Meter seems to be dead-on accurate too. I initially worried about the meter, but trust it completely now.

One quirk of the M5 design (if you're unaware), is that it's best not to leave the shutter cocked. Winding the camera on activates the meter, and the only way to switch it off is to make an exposure. I just don't advance the film after each shot.

Nice M5 you have, by the way - looks brand new!

Edited by colint544

2 years is not a long slumber. I'd run the shutter through all the speeds a few times to give it a wake up. If after that it sounds off (the 1/15th sound for example) then think about a CLA, but I generally try to avoid them unless something is really bad. So my 2c is if it sounds good and the patch aligns then no CLA.

The shutter sounds seem OK

I've ordered a couple of Wein cells as well as the MR9 adapters, will check if the meter is working ok when they get delivered next week

Thank you for the quick help!

You would have to ask WvM how much for the modification, but I am afraid he will say that it only can be done on top of a CLA. So if it works fine now, maybe the apdapter makes more sense.

Yes, this particular M5 is like-new so I'd like to keep it unmodified. I bought it fully boxed and it saw very less usage, if any at all.

The adapter solution isn't too awkward or uncomfortable so that's good.

Thank you for the advice.

Agree that if the speeds all seem fine, and everything works OK, then all the camera needs is regular use. I think the M5 is the nicest M for shooting with. I have one and use the MR9 battery adapter. I fitted a new 386 battery, along with the adapter two years ago and it's still going strong. Meter seems to be dead-on accurate too. I initially worried about the meter, but trust it completely now.

One quirk of the M5 design (if you're unaware), is that it's best not to leave the shutter cocked. Winding the camera on activates the meter, and the only way to switch it off is to make an exposure. I just don't advance the film after each shot.

Nice M5 you have, by the way - looks brand new!

Agree. Having gone through a few film M's, I do think the M5 is the nicest one for my taste.

I did not know about the quirk with the M5 shutter cocking, thank you for the very useful tip! I will actively remember to not advance the film after a shot.

I'm very happy I found an M5 in like-new condition. What a beautiful machine! I will scout for a silver version in similar condition down the road.

• Like 1

I always thought the silver version looked rather clumsy, due to the height of the top cover. I like the other M models in silver, but think the M5 looks better in black. Mine is a nice 50 anniversary model, and I had DAG do a full service on it.

• Like 1

That is a gorgeous camera.  I have a black M5 coming this week from Sherry Krauter and hope it looks almost as good as yours.  I had the camera for a week in July and returned it to Sherry thinking I had too many Leica M film bodies.  Two weeks later, I called her back requesting she add a third lug and recover the camera.  The original vulcanite was starting to chip.

Anyway, Sherry had a couple personal problems and work on the camera was delayed.  However, I got an email from her yesterday and my M5 is in the mail which is great as I leave for a three week trip to the Philippines in eight days.  Originally, I planned on taking an M2 with 35/90 leaving the M9 at home.  Well, it will be the M5 with 35/90 and film.

I have to say that I have owned all the film M's up to the M7 and I find the M5 the easiest one to handle and shoot with.  I don't know why I waited forty years to try one.