Let's revisit the one lens debate- 35mm or 50mm

kivis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd go with 35 too. It feels very natural to me. I suprised myself by taking a 35/50 combo to Shetland and Orkney and using the 50mm Summicron Mk5 almost exclusively. Next trip was the Wind River range in Wyoming where I took a 28/50 combo and used the 28 almost exclusively. I guess it all depends on subject matter and environment. 35mm is a good compromise.

Pete

I could live with any lens. I guess my photography is flexible or I'm too naive and accept what I have.

For me it's really impossible to answer that question.

The 'debate' is not really a debate at all, you just have to which number you prefer, 35 or 50. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with photography :)

I'm sure we would all be fine if there only was one possible lens. Fora discussion wouldn't be so interesting though!

I'm going on holiday in a couple of days and I'm taking an M9 with a 35mm - and that's all! Pretty scary as I normally walk around with three lenses (21, 50 and 90). My thinking is by doing this I force myself to get to grips with a single lens for everything and also to make my self use the 35mm rather than my default 50mm. 

• Like 2

I prefer a 35, but I'm going on holiday shortly and taking just two 50mm LTM lenses.

Why? Because I don't have a 35mm LTM so will just work with what I have, I know there will be times I would like a wider lens but when that happens I stop looking at the overall scene and concentrate on some details that better suit the 50mm. 

• Like 1

I prefer a 75 above a 50, the Summilux 75 that is. For street photography for instance, a 75 gives me a very nice distance to my subject. If it was forbidden to take two lenses, I'd take my 75lux and smuggle my Summicron35 IV in my pocket. These two lenses are THE perfect couple for me at the moment.

Edited by otto.f

To my astonishment since I bought an almost 20 year old summicron asph 35mm a while ago, I keep it on my M240 almost all the time.

Maybe a temporairy fling?

Still with my MP the canada summicron 50mm is top. This lens which I had the longest is still my favorite.

If allowed only one lens, then there's no question that the 35mm would be the most useful all-around lens, but the 35mm field of view is not my favorite as it always seems either too close or too far for me. I prefer the 28mm/50mm as a working pair. I wish I preferred the 35mm alone as it would be nice to have so many wonderful 35mm lens options and only take one lens, but after years of struggling, I just can't find comfort at 35mm. I've found my sweet spot with the 28mm Elmarit with the advantage of size and wide hyperfocal range, along with the 50mm Summilux ASPH for everything else and for low light situations. 

Edited by seratti
  • Like 1

I'm going on holiday in a couple of days and I'm taking an M9 with a 35mm - and that's all! Pretty scary as I normally walk around with three lenses (21, 50 and 90). My thinking is by doing this I force myself to get to grips with a single lens for everything and also to make my self use the 35mm rather than my default 50mm.

Can anyone elaborate on this?

Poster means the 50mm/2.0 Summicron, the last version with a separate hood (which is more flare-resistant than the most recent with built-in hood)

Bresson means Henri Cartier Bresson, you can google him

What he probably meant was: with a standard lens you are trained find good compositions, because the lens itself brings no special effects into the composition, like wide or tele lenses do. A standard lens has about the same angle of view as the human vision.

When people (Bresson in this case) express an opinion they never tell you how much they have examined how and why they have reached that point of view, which alternatives they have rejected and why, what, in their ways of thinking, is important or axiomatic. Most of the time people just do stuff for no known reason but will, when asked, invent a noble sounding basis for their actions. I use my 50mm most of the time because I'm an asshole.

(Sorry about the first sentence; it's very difficult for me to read too).

• Like 4

Poster means the 50mm/2.0 Summicron, the last version with a separate hood (which is more flare-resistant than the most recent with built-in hood) [...]

I would not say this.

50/2 v4: https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Samples/i-4RKCr3w/0/X3/5020v4_L1005236-X3.jpg

50/2 v5: https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Samples/i-BvXmk5v/0/X3/5020c_L1005235-X3.jpg

• Like 2

When people (Bresson in this case) express an opinion they never tell you how much they have examined how and why they have reached that point of view, which alternatives they have rejected and why, what, in their ways of thinking, is important or axiomatic. Most of the time people just do stuff for no known reason but will, when asked, invent a noble sounding basis for their actions. I use my 50mm most of the time because I'm an asshole.

(Sorry about the first sentence; it's very difficult for me to read too).

Exactly..."morals of convenience", I call it.   Far, far too much of it.

cheers ...