Portrait / 90mm lenses

Mahesh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This topic of 90mm lenses have been discussed many times I know. But I thought I should contribute too, with my own post and some findings.

With my quest to get a Leica mount portrait lens for my Sony A7ii camera, I visited red dot cameras in London.

I tried various lenses as below

1) 80 Lux-R (similar to 75 lux it is said)

2) 100/2.8 APO-R

3) 90 elmarit-m

4) 90 Summicron-m (non APO)

5) 90/4 macro elmar m

I attach a collage of pictures (raw, unprocessed) made with maximum aperture of each lens, except number 2.

Unfortunately, I did not like elmarit, you can see why from the attached picture. It feels too warm to me (bottom left).

For me, I think the top left (80-lux) and top right (90 cron, non APO) have the best rendition; Lux for its dreamy magical look and the non APO for being very pleasant with good skin tones.

macro elmar m (bottom right) is good too, but it won't achieve much separation with f4 over cron.

I know this is a very limited set-up and these lenses will work differently outdoors.

What do people think  based on my attachment?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

doh! it wasn't easy the first time!

I selected the file but did not then click on attach this file and add to the post.

Different apertures, different DoFs, different FoVs, too many variables to compare IMHO. For sharp portraits i would chose M or R 90/2 apo, R 100/2.8 apo or M 90/4 macro. For softer results, M 75/1.4, R 80/1.4, M or R 90/2 pre-apo. Better compromise to me is the R 90/2 pre-apo. YMMV.

• Like 2

The test shots appear taken at different distances and exposure, so it's really hard to ascribe what I'm seeing to the lenses.   I have owned all the mentioned lenses except the 90 and 100 Macro, however II did own the 75 Lux.  The 90 Cron pre-ASPH (e55 version) is my hands-down favorite Leica 90, and is one lens I would never sell.  I prefer the "thin" T-E as a travel lens because of the weight, and it works ok for portraiture too.  But the 90 Cron is special.  If you only use it on a Sony, the R lens is pretty much identical in performance characteristics and size, and probably costs less.

• Like 1

Thanks for your responses. All very helpful. Looking at the pictures I posted, I think I like all of them.  :D

But I can only buy one until I win a lottery. I might go with 90 cron pre-asph or 80 lux-r. My brain says 90 cron and heart says 80 lux-r.

• Like 1

I have no experience with R 80/1.4 but i'm using an M 75/1.4 with pleasure on my A7s mod. It is less heavy that the R (490 vs 625g) and is quite soft at f/1.4 but it is its charm. At f/2 it is still softer than my 90/2 v2 & v3 (let alone apo) but at f/2.8 and on, 75/1.4 and 90/2 pre-apo are more or less on par. Beware that 75/1.4 may have some focus shift around f/4 though but it is not a problem when focussing at real aperture on TTL cameras. Great lens anyway but i would not rule out R 90/2 pre-apo v1 (# 11219) or v2 (# 11254). I have no experience with v2 but v1 (pic) is one of my favorite 90s ever and can be had for little money compared to M Lenses. One of the best Leica bargains with the R 60/2.8 IMHO.

Different apertures, different DoFs, different FoVs, too many variables to compare IMHO. For sharp portraits i would chose M or R 90/2 apo, R 100/2.8 apo or M 90/4 macro. For softer results, M 75/1.4, R 80/1.4, M or R 90/2 pre-apo. Better compromise to me is the R 90/2 pre-apo. YMMV.

+1

How did you set WB: fixed or Auto? In any case, the warmth of one over another is way down my list of criteria, as it is easy to correct in post. As a better judge of colour rendering I would reset WB in LR/PS using a neutral element in the image, or a ColorChecker Passport, or even manually. If it is impossible to achieve an acceptable colour, then I would worry, not before.

Are you sure of your focus? These images are OK for skin colour, but I would use a fixed target and a tripod for sharpness.

In general, if I can achieve an acceptable image (colour, sharpness, bokeh, edge-to-edge behaviour) from a lens after minimal post processing, then other criteria come to the fore: weight, balance, mount, close focus, do I want macro - even price, believe it or not!

Best of luck to you with a 90 shot manually wide open for portraits. I can do it, but spending that extra little bit of time to achieve exact focus can lose you the momentary expression you'd rather capture. I have the 90mm Apo-Summicron-M which I am likely to trade in for the 90mm Summicron-SL when it comes. I have the 75 Apo-Summicron-M, which is a bit more tolerant of focus.

If I had my time again, I would have gone for the Macro-Elmar: more than good enough IQ, no buttock-clenching depth of field (but still good enough to isolate the subject), small and light, and macro option as well.

Edit: I also have the Hektor 7.3cm f/1.9, which I keep for granny portraits. Beautifully soft (aka massive dispersion and flare).

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

+1

How did you set WB: fixed or Auto? In any case, the warmth of one over another is way down my list of criteria, as it is easy to correct in post. As a better judge of colour rendering I would reset WB in LR/PS using a neutral element in the image, or a ColorChecker Passport, or even manually....Are you sure of your focus? These images are OK for skin colour, but I would use a fixed target and a tripod for sharpness. .....Edit: I also have the Hektor 7.3cm f/1.9, which I keep for granny portraits. Beautifully soft (aka massive dispersion and flare).

Hi Paul, thanks for your comments. 

The WB was auto and this was really a 20 minutes quick test run between these lenses that I had narrowed down. I wanted to get a feel of difference in rendering between these lenses. One could argue that with a good amount of processing all of these could be made to look similar, except prabably 80lux-r as that is in its class of its own.

I am not sure of the focus on 80-lux in this picture. However, post-processing, it looks good. I found that there are mysterious lights in many of the lux pictures I took, which look very filmic. That almost mirrors what overgaard says in his post "Also, when shot against light sources, the light will flow over the image. " http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/144385-leica-r-8014-summilux-dmr/

I will post a couple tonight when I go home.

I don't use tripod as I like to carry minimum gear together and have no professional interests. My photography is purely oriented to take portraits of my partner (featured :-)  and family and also trying and reading about lenses, etc.

The other lens I have is zm 50 sonnar which I adore. I have been itching to get a long lens for some time.

• Like 1

If you're just planning to use the lens on your Sony and size/weight/portability is important, A good lens for portraits is the old Elmar 90 f/4. Although I have others, that is the one I keep in my bag...works on old Barnacks, M bodies, and m3/4. It does flare when shooting into the sun, so I also keep a hood handy, although not often used. Soft wide open, sharpens up around 5.6-8 and contrast improves as well. Available for a pittance.

• Like 1

I have no experience with the Elmar-C but the M-Rokkor 90/4 for Minolta CLE is another bargain to think about. Here on the right with a Tele-Elmarit "thin" 90/2.8 which is more flare prone than the Rokkor. 

• Like 2

Sorry to jump in, but I could not find good comparison for both M 90/2 Summicron Pre-ASPH and APO. Is there any reliable user reviews available? Because I am considering adding 90 mm to my collection, and I feel Pre-ASPH photos are more appealing to me. 

Hi again... I processed the 'warm' 90 elmarit-m as well and make it look similar to cron. 

Here are the pictures, first 80 Lux-r, the king or queen of the lenses :-)

The next is 90 cron, king of the series.. 

and now the widely applauded... 90 elmarit m

The tiny macro elmar ..