X Vario discontinued and dropped from line

mikeodial

The X Vario is a generally misunderstood product: a (relatively) compact zoom camera having the IQ of a good prime at all focal lengths and apertures. I hope that its disappointing reception does not discourage Leica to pursue similar offerings in the future. Whether or not it becomes a collectors item, I am extremely glad that I purchased mine, which has become my all time favorite general purpose camera.

• Like 9

I was tempted to buy an X Vario when the bundle offers appeared in summer 2014. I had read some of the negative comments in the reviews but the camera's aesthetic appearance appealed and having owned a Digilux 2 this appeared an update on the concept.

Mine has produced faultless results my only slight niggle was when it came to installing the firmware update in autumn 2014. Don't switch off when installing was the instruction. Well the camera decided to switch itself off as it was updating and died! I was without it for about three weeks whilst it went back to base for repairs. Since then it has been fine and I use it quite a lot.

However, I have just bought an M with 35mm lens and as I now have an XVario, an X1 and a V-lux 3 perhaps the collection needs thinning with proceeds being directed towards a second lens for the M?

I won't make any rash decisions though.

I wonder if the XV concept could be transferred to the Q platform offering a modest high quality zoom on a Q body?

John

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The X Vario is a generally misunderstood product: a (relatively) compact zoom camera having the IQ of a good prime at all focal lengths and apertures. I hope that its disappointing reception does not discourage Leica to pursue similar offerings in the future. Whether or not it becomes a collectors item, I am extremely glad that I purchased mine, which has become my all time favorite general purpose camera.

I'm still trying to get Leica to commit to a firmware upgrade for the Vario. It would help if some of you sent in similar requests. 

I'm still trying to get Leica to commit to a firmware upgrade for the Vario. It would help if some of you sent in similar requests.

It would help if you could say what you want Leica to change.

"Add exposure lock. Half-pressing the shutter button is not always an option, because the user may want to focus on a different part of the scene than the part that the exposure should be based on."

​I thought about this too and concluded that it would be superfluous since it is simple enough to set exposure manually.

• 2 weeks later...

A shame. I didn't buy one but very nearly. It would still be a good secondhand choice. I really like the M-style controls that are so easy and intuitive. I'd love an X-style camera with interchangeable lenses. If Lica produced one, I'd get it in an instant. It would make a great backup to the M series.  I'm just not sure about a T with its touchscreen controls.  

Eventhough, I am one of those who just purchased an X Vario at a bargain price ($675 USD), my hunch is that the T makes the continued development of the X line completely unnecessary.

The X Vario and D Lux 109 is effectively duplicated by the T and the 18-56; the X2, XE, and X typ 113 is supplanted by the T and 23 mm.

I would suspect that the "T2" is going to have a built in EVF, more megapixels, a superior auto focus system. Leica has already shown us the roadmap with the Q, so we know what is probable.  The T line should be able to be everything for everyone on the prosumer level, and it makes no sense to continue the X line. Perhaps, even, the touch screen will become more of a hybrid system so that the T2 has more cross appeal to the old X users.

Anyhow, that's how I would see development by Leica.

Edited by ropo54

I despise the touchscreen on the T.

I liked the concept, but on more occasions than I was happy with it "never worked" for me. I had to touch it more than once to get it to work, maybe I was too light, maybe too hard, don't know, but it was frustrating on occasions.

By contrast, the buttons etc on the X-Vario by far and away are better, for me.

Gary

I've currently got a Q. Love it's simplicity and it takes some beautiful pics , even with a clown line me banging away in it. I'm currently in Switzerland and I have to say, my sons £300 Nikon and it's zoom lens are taking some fantastic images, and making the fixed 28mm Q redundant!

I had a T when I knew less about photography and thought it just ok. But I did enjoy that zoom lens. Woukd you go for the T and zoom, or the X Vario? Do you or have you owned both. I'm aware the T is newer but that aside.

Thanks in advance, and here's hoping they replace the X with another Vario. Other makes are now knocking on my door!

Chris