Digilux 3 surface finish issues

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I have had my Digilux 3 since being offered it at discount by Leica when my Digilux 2's sensor failed, about 10 years ago. In that time it has performed faultlessly.

However, the surface finish on the top plate is now coming off around the areas most in use. Now, in a traditional camera such "brassing" can look rather good, but with this model the exposed white plasticy material looks cheap and shoddy. Doesn't affect the functionality of course but I am beginning to find it irritating.

I have written to Leica service in the UK without the courtesy of a reply so now now ask if anyone knows whether this issue can be remedied by refinishing or replacement of the top plate.

Thank you in advance.

John

• 3 weeks later...

i have the same issue, looks tacky. I put a small square of transparent tape around the on/off switch years ago when I first saw the beginning of wear otherwise that area would be white by now.  Dealer had no suggestions. I'm afraid we'll just have to live with it. It's been a faithful and flawless machine otherwise. Still love it even after acquiring  a Q.