90mm Lenses - optical Unit Question

Michael Hiles

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Due to a robbery I have to replace my 90mm 3-element Elmar (which I dearly loved). I am thinking of buying an Elmar-C 90mm. Irwin Puts says very nice things about it.

My question - does the lens unit come off the mount of the Elmar-C so it can be mounted on a Bellows and Visoflex. The 3-element elmar could be used this way - adds wonderful flexibility.

Edited by Michael Hiles

Thanks Jeff. Puts doesn't mention removing the lens unit for the 3-element Elmar, or for the Elmar-C. While I don't use it very often, my 90mm Elmar was my favourite lens for Visoflex use. For close-ups my choice was always a Visoflex II, Bellows II and the 90mm 3-element Elmar - unequalled, IMO.  I am badly annoyed by its loss.

• Like 1

No,C Elmar is not detachable, 2,8 Tele-Elmarit unfortunately too.

The longer 2,8 Elmarit from 50/70yrs. was.

Same for Summicron 90mm: only thee big&fat types were detachable.

Leitz had to choose for compactness vor universatility.

And it was the time when they weht to Leicaflex and they wanted to sell R-lenses and avoid people putting their lensheads onto flexbodies.

I feel sorry for the lost oft your 3lens Elmar

Thomas

The 4lens Elmar oft course is detachable & offen a bargain:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/RF-Nikkor/Leica_RF/Leica_ELmar90mmf4B.htm

Edited by duckrider

Advertisement (gone after registration)

[...] the early 90 Elmarit 2.8 (1959-74) could be used head only on Visoflex [...]

+1. Elmarit 90/2.8 # 11129 & optical cell # 11026.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thomas, LCT,

Thanks very much. I suspect that the goal will be replacing the 3-element Elmar. There are many things about it that are very attractive (small, removable optical unit, E39 filter size, 12575 shade) - and the performance, particularly from f5.6, is really excellent. The pictures are lovely. And I am not chasing a few more L/mm or a nicer MTF graph - that stuff is of no importance or interest to me.

[...] I suspect that the goal will be replacing the 3-element Elmar. There are many things about it that are very attractive (small, removable optical unit, E39 filter size, 12575 shade) - and the performance, particularly from f5.6, is really excellent. The pictures are lovely. And I am not chasing a few more L/mm or a nicer MTF graph - that stuff is of no importance or interest to me.

The Elmarit 90/2.8 above uses the same filters and hood as your Elmar. It is plenty sharp at f/5.6 and on, less so at f/2.8 and f/4 but your Elmar is probably a bit soft at f/4 if it is like my collapsible one from 1957. No distortion or CA issues at f/4 and on. Flares less than my Elmar. This Elmarit is built like a tank.

Elmarit 90/2.8 # 11129 & hoods # 12575. For newbies' sake only ;).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct

How is Ken Hansen, and how do I find out more?

Don't know his current status, but he has been a reliable and trustworthy Leica source.  You might try the email address listed in this older post...  http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sunset-bar/24388-shameless-plug-mr-ken-hansen.html#post297127

Another potential source for used gear is KEH (in Atlanta).  Their prices are typically higher than eBay, but their gear ratings are conservative and feedback seems high... http://leica.nemeng.com/004e.shtml#keh

Jeff

• 2 months later...

Hello Michael,

It is too bad about your lens.

I learned photography with an M3 & a 90mm Elmar. I often recommend a 90mm lens to people learning photography because of its great versatility & its ability to remove unwanted foreground, sides & top. As well as its ability to help a person think by requiring them to choose what is important as well as to remove what is not needed.

Later I found that a 135mm F4, Tele-Elmar with an even further "reach" was more of how I looked at the World. A bit more restricting with a small degree of compression. Which I like. While all & all, since I do a lot of photography on tripods (especially table tripods) not that much more difficult to use. It needs + 1 stop more of shutter speed for equivalent "optical sturdiness" at the same aperture when it is being hand held.

The first 2 mechanical versions (dimpled - knurled - dimpled - knurled -...... and the: entirely knurled - Both with a non-traditional depth of field scale - take E39 filters & have the same 33 X 1 thread on their detachable lens heads to fit on the same 16558 fitting for an original bellows or a Bellows II.

The lens head itself attaches to the focussing mount with a 39 X 1 standard Leica Thread so you can use it in many accessories, such as a Novoflex Bellows without an additional adapter.

The 3rd mechanical version with a more traditional depth of field scale has a non-detachable head & takes E46 filters.

From Infinity to portraits it is just fine.

The 135mm F4 Tele-Elmar is also a really good close up lens which, because of its longer focal length, gives a little more distance between the lens (same 12575 lens hood, etc.) and the subject.

By the way, optically: You will be happy.

Theoretically F4 is not its best aperture. Altho handheld at 1 shutter speed faster than a similar photo taken @ 5.6 at a 1 stop lower shutter speed: That lack of "whatever" is not discernable.

Closeup, Infinity, or in between, just smile.

Speaking of 1 : 1 & such:

It is a strongly asymetrical lens with an exit pupil of 0.66 which means that when calculating extensions mathematically it is not the standard formula.

If you would like I would be glad to give you (or anyone else reading this Thread) the formula along with some specifics for things like additional exposure at 1 : 10, 1 : 2  &  1 : 1.

With a behind the lens meter or a meter reading off the image plane or thru the eyepiece of an SLR there is no problem. Compensation is automatically figured.

All & all a really nice lens.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Hello Again Michael,

I sometimes have trouble writing in the computer because I am self taught & have not figured out some things.

As a factor of that some of my sentences/paragraphs in the Post just above are not necessarily in the ORDER that they should be.

I don't know how to move things around without re-writing elsewhere & then erasing.

So, if a sentence or paragraph seems to be above or below where it should be please process it in that manner.

Best Regards,

Michael

Thanks Michael (you are doing just fine).

I am a fan of the 135mm tele-elmar - I had one which also disappeared in the same robbery. I intend to replace it when the dust settles. Happily, even a good one is not so very expensive. By some very fortunate ways and means, I have a new-to-me 90mm tele-elmarit, so the 135mm tele-elmar would to a great extent provide the closeup capacity on my Visoflex II and bellows II

• Like 1

Hello Michael,

You are on your way to having my ideal for most situations lens set: A 35mm F2 for 90% of pictures. A 90mm lens & a 135mm lens for most of the rest. 1 of the last 2 being capable of doing closeups. 

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1