Sending in M9 for sensor corrosion

John Ricard

Hi Everybody! 

Leica announced a deadline for sending the M9? I ask because my sensor already has the corrosion, but still not much affect the performance of my photos. I'm afraid to send next year and receive a negative response from Leica.

Thank you

Bruno

They were quite explicit about there being no deadline. They also recommended getting in touch before sending the camera in; this would enable them to allocate a time slice for you in advance, so that the actual repair could be done within a short time.

There is a poll running on another site regarding the sensor corrosion problem.  Currently about 70 are reporting no corrosion while 40 have experienced it.  So a lot of bodies seem to be unaffected.  Me?  I'm o for two.

Mine seems fine after over 100K clicks. It did have a new sensor in 2013 (previous owner).

They did see it in 2015 when the shutter failed. Sensor was fine, they said. I am in Idaho, where it is not humid, but the camera does go in and out of the cold often.

Dealing with Leica NJ was crazy. Took about 2 months for the shutter. But I had so many conflicting stories when I called them to check on the camera.

Edited by uhoh7

• 5 weeks later...

And that firmware is available here:

http://uk.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=93710&subcategory=93713&type=108942&language=93871

M9/M9-P/M-E Firmware Version 1.210 M Monochrom Firmware Version 1.016

The following improvements are included in these firmware updates:

Support of the new lens:
Leica Summaron-M 28 mm f/5.6 

That's interesting, and may cloud over one's ability to tell if an M9 for sale has had the sensor replaced or not.

To this point it's been easy. If the camera firmware is 1.204 you know it has the updated sensor. Now, with 1.21 I guess M9's with the original or new sensor will be able to update, making it harder for any prospective buyer to know if the sensor in the camera is the updated one or not.

Leica contacted me on November 18 via email.  The PDF said they were doing the following at no charge:

Sensor cover glass, coating is seperatin

adjust range finder

clean, lubrication and adjustment

leather covering

printed circuit, adjusted

Stil have no idea when the camera will actually be returned.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Leica M9 Repair/Upgrade; Shutter electronics repaired, new top and bottom plates, Gorilla glass/back 1500€ a la carte leather 100€

New sensor, check clean lube and adjustments for free. Basically a new camera,,, :)

Leica professional Service; Total 3 weeks over Christmas and new-year incl estimate and shipping - I think that is quite good service!