Sending in M9 for sensor corrosion

John Ricard

4 months!?!?!?!!?

Wow.

I believe they are still backed up by the sensor replacement program.  The Monochrom replacement sensors just became available in Jan-Feb of this year, so all the Monochroms are now being sent in plus the left over M9s.  I just received notification that mine is on the way back.  Will have taken a week over three months after a lot of intervention by my dealer.

Edited by Luke_Miller

From what I've learnt on here if the sensor has the corrosion problem you can see it for yourself - no need to send it in.

That's right. To the OP, here is a very good link which shows different views of the issues, and contains a how-to test your own.  I'm still lucky to have tolerable M9 corrosion. Perhaps the OP will have the same luck.

Edited by pico

4 months....yep, that's how long my converted M9 to "P" specs took to get its' new sensor earlier this year. Sent it at the end of January and it arrived back in my office in Dallas while I was visiting my daughter in NJ in mid-May.

Edited by Gregm61

That's right. To the OP, here is a very good link which shows different views of the issues, and contains a how-to test your own.  I'm still lucky to have tolerable M9 corrosion. Perhaps the OP will have the same luck.

What's "tolerable" corrosion ?? Surely *any* corrosion is intolerable isn't it ? Once the issue is present I would have thought it will only get worse. Is there a time limit on the replacement offer ?

I don't have an M9 but if I did and there was any sign of corrosion I'd send it in as soon as I could bearing in mind the time you will be without the camera - maybe Pico means that he's spotted something but it's so minor he's willing to ignore it for now, given the time that the camera is likely to be away.

There's no time limit on sensor replacements at the moment although there will come a point where Leica do not want to purchase more sensors (they've previously given a commitment to carry spares for 10 years after production).

I went ahead and sent it in yesterday.  I figured it was safer to just have Leica let me know if there was corrosion.  I never saw a problem with my M9, but years ago, when I sent it in, they did replace the sensor.  I bought the Monochrom used from KEH for only $2,700 and I was excited to use it, but I'll feel more comfortable knowing that all is good with the camera.  So I guess I'll have to wait a bit before putting the camera to work.  Hopefully there is no corrosion and they will send the camera back quickly.

I sent my M9 in three weeks ago. I had a message three days ago that it has been entered into the system. Roxanna told me that the turnaround time at the moment is approximately 8 weeks. 

It appears that they are evaluating each camera and if they don't see the corrosion they are not replacing the sensor. That's only how it APPEARS. In reality, they may just do it as a pre-emptive service.

In reality, they may just do it as a pre-emptive service.

I was given the impression that, unless corrosion was found no replacement would be done. That makes sense, given the cost of the new parts (even if the sensor manufacturer is subsidising that) and labour..and the effect it would have on the backlog, hence waiting time. I read that the cause of the corrosion wasn't so much the conditions the camera had been exposed to (if you pardon the pun)..but whether the sensor had been in the edges of the 'tray' during manufacture. My experience would support that: lens hardly ever changed (please don't judge me!)..no challenging conditions..and needing a second replacement sensor after approx a year. Maybe a sensor manufactured in the middle of the 'tray' would not corrode..hence if four-year-old body is OK now it will stay that way..

Maybe not!

Maybe a sensor manufactured in the middle of the 'tray' would not corrode..hence if four-year-old body is OK now it will stay that way..

Maybe not!

There is a poll running on another site regarding the sensor corrosion problem.  Currently about 70 are reporting no corrosion while 40 have experienced it.  So a lot of bodies seem to be unaffected.  Me?  I'm o for two.

In reality, they may just do it as a pre-emptive service.

I was given the impression that, unless corrosion was found no replacement would be done. That makes sense, given the cost of the new parts (even if the sensor manufacturer is subsidising that) and labour..and the effect it would have on the backlog, hence waiting time. I read that the cause of the corrosion wasn't so much the conditions the camera had been exposed to (if you pardon the pun)..but whether the sensor had been in the edges of the 'tray' during manufacture. My experience would support that: lens hardly ever changed (please don't judge me!)..no challenging conditions..and needing a second replacement sensor after approx a year. Maybe a sensor manufactured in the middle of the 'tray' would not corrode..hence if four-year-old body is OK now it will stay that way..

Maybe not!

That is certainly the official policy and they may very well stand by it. I was a Leica USA dealer for 36 years and I've seen some odd things with their Customer Service department. Consistency in the application of corporate policy was somewhat lacking. I retired 6 years ago so maybe things have changed at this point.

As you've sent the camera in, my guess is that they'll replace the sensor regardless to avoid having to deal with it again at a later date.

If they replace it with a CCD then surely at a later date it may be an issue.

This is not an act of God ... rather a poorly designed CCD sensor and cover ... which is why Leica ran to the CMOS.

Most of their CCD sensors are at risk ... replacing the sensor does not in my mind guarantee you anything.

That is the reason I dumped all my S equipment ...

Time will reveal all ... 

Bob

If they replace it with a CCD then surely at a later date it may be an issue.

Yes. Time, damn it, progresses forever. Hold your breath as long as you can and maybe the universe will change.

And post pictures of your blue face!

Edited by pico