Leica version of KMZ finder?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like any background information of the finder on the left. On the right is the frequently encountered KMZ/Russian finder. There were built in both right handed and left handed (to clear the speed dial) versions. From what I have read, they were built from "acquired" tooling from Zeiss Jena after the war. Most seem to be marked with the KMZ logo and some have the Zeiss Jena logo (again using the relocated tooling?). The one on the left is the first I have seen with the Leitz condenser logo. I assume this logo was also applied  in Russia without Leitz approval. If anyone knows the details, it would be interesting.

Regards

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Very interesting... me too have never seen one (I have a std. KMZ finder, like the one at right) : it's someway strange that someone applied a Leitz logo onto an item that in no way is a copy of a Leitz original (even for a no expert, none can confuse this finder with, say, a VIOOH)... but.. who knows ? maybe in the last '40s/50s there were people in East Europe who owned Leica cameras and would have been very happy to find a Leitz accessory in a marketplace that was closed to western goods... and KMZ did give them this satisfaction... B)  

Anyway, the most uneven hipotesis is that is had been applied into Leitz factory.

• 2 weeks later...

It could also originate from the 'factory' of the engraver who turns FEDs and Zorkis into 'gold plated' Kriegsmarine, Luftwaffe and Bildberichter Leica cameras which never existed. A good engraver can duplicate the Leitz Wetzlar logo and the numbering very easily.

I do recall seeing the KMZ finder engraved this way some time ago on fleabay, being offered by a seller from Russia (where else....). It would be actually very simple to use a milling machine to remove the KMZ signage, repaint the finder body and engrave it with a new logo.

Best,

Jan

Edited by doubice