Electrical contact issue

Deliberate1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At least that is what I think it is.

Last week I took delivery of a new to me 35mm Summarit. When I put it on the camera for the first time, the lens and body were not communicating, The AF did not work and the top window did not read the aperture opening. But all was well after I tweaked the lens in the mount.

Today I took it out for a spin and had similar issues, and employed the same fix. But even when the AF worked and the aperture setting showed, there were several shots which were way hot because the lens was either not stopping down or the shutter speed was off. And shooting in mirror lock-up mode seemed to have a lag when I pressed the shutter for the second time. Restarting the camera seemed to fix it.

I tested the resistance between the 35mm and my 70mm, and the latter feels a bit stiffer and tighter on the mount. Not sure if I can do anything about that on my own. But I figure I could start by cleaning the contacts. What do you folks use to do that. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Obliged.

David

At least that is what I think it is.

Last week I took delivery of a new to me 35mm Summarit. When I put it on the camera for the first time, the lens and body were not communicating, The AF did not work and the top window did not read the aperture opening. But all was well after I tweaked the lens in the mount.

Today I took it out for a spin and had similar issues, and employed the same fix. But even when the AF worked and the aperture setting showed, there were several shots which were way hot because the lens was either not stopping down or the shutter speed was off. And shooting in mirror lock-up mode seemed to have a lag when I pressed the shutter for the second time. Restarting the camera seemed to fix it.

I tested the resistance between the 35mm and my 70mm, and the latter feels a bit stiffer and tighter on the mount. Not sure if I can do anything about that on my own. But I figure I could start by cleaning the contacts. What do you folks use to do that. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Obliged.

David

This is a topic I will be discussing in Wetzlar. Check the histogram on the image. Is it to the left as if it is not overexposed? Same for clipping, is it showing no clipping? I had this occur on the 30 and 180 but not the 70. My camera and lenses are at Wetzlar now and should be ready when I get there. In the meantime, Leica sent me replacements so that I have not been without equipment.

Jesse

• Like 1

When cleaning electrical contacts a clean cloth usually is enough. If there's stubborn muck then a pen eraser (not a pencil one). They're only very mildly abrasive and wont cause any harm. Make sure none of the rubber waste gets into the lens. I cover my real element wit a cloth and some tape to make sure.

Try to avoid any liquids. Getting any isopropyl or other liquids seeping through under the contacts is a bad thing, usually.

Gordon

• Like 1