Very torn, should I get a S type 006, S type 007 or just use my SL???

bilbrown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"I'd say the biggest image quality difference between the SL and the S007 is the dynamic range. The S007 has 15.3 stops, which is the most of any still camera on the market from any manufacturer. Moving from the S006 to the S007 allowed me to change my approach to high contrast landscape scenes. Now, I just expose for the highlights and let the shadows go dark. I'm easily able to pull the shadows up 3 stops noise free and end up with images that still look normal, not HDR-ish. I've been able to rely less on GND filters and just shoot. The tonal range of the S is just spectacular."

David,

I think my 007 manual says it has 13 stops. BH Photo also lists it as 13. Can you clarify this?

No, the manual says 15 stops, at least the one linked online from the Leica site (end section specs).  That's 2 stops better than the 006, one of the clear marketing features of the new iteration.

Jeff

B&H and Adorama say 13 stops whereas Leica Store Miami says 15 stops...

Okay, I pulled out my manual. It says, "Dynamic range 13 aperture stops." I also downloaded the user manual from the Leica site and it says 15 stops. So, which is it?

I know that David spoke to the Leica guys directly and they told him 15 stops. I'd just like some clarification. 

Sorry for the late reply. I was in the mountains of northern AZ, away from wireless and power, for a few days. I'm back home and reconnected now. :)

Yes, the S007 has 15 stops of dynamic range. The tech specs on B&H and Adorama websites are incorrect. Check the official Leica tech specs here:

https://us.leica-camera.com/content/download/127126/1456780/version/5/file/Datenblatt_S+%28Typ+007%29_e.pdf

I'm sure it would have looked different through a S007........... I certainly SEE a difference in the DOF with my S007 over my old S006. Unfortunately I don't have the same files to show a comparison like you did with your SL and S006.............Maybe David can help out there?

While the look is different between S006 and S007, I'm not sure I would describe it as a difference in DOF. Depth of Field is related to the lens, not the camera. Presence, per pixel acuity, dynamic range, color depth.... these are more likely differences. 

• Like 1

While the look is different between S006 and S007, I'm not sure I would describe it as a difference in DOF. Depth of Field is related to the lens, not the camera. Presence, per pixel acuity, dynamic range, color depth.... these are more likely differences. 

Yes, Neil corrected himself....post 77....dynamic range.

Jeff

Sorry for the late reply. I was in the mountains of northern AZ, away from wireless and power, for a few days. I'm back home and reconnected now. :)

Yes, the S007 has 15 stops of dynamic range. The tech specs on B&H and Adorama websites are incorrect. Check the official Leica tech specs here:

https://us.leica-camera.com/content/download/127126/1456780/version/5/file/Datenblatt_S+%28Typ+007%29_e.pdf

Well, it says "up to 15". What makes it max, and what makes it lower? I have never really seen this substantiated, but I would love it if it was true ;-)

Oops! Just did.

After a brief stint with a deal on an S2 I knew I wanted the 007. I also have the Pentax 645Z with a full set of lenses so i already know what to expect from that sensor. Not for everyone and not a perfect camera but for me.....

- The SL is my main body for work. I use an A7R2 as a backup for commercial work (i.e.: I don't use it much) but I wanted a second camera for my commercial portraiture and weddings. I didn't want/need a second SL body.

- The interface is very close to the SL. It shares a TTL flash system for weddings. I can use S lenses on the SL (I have the adaptor already). It's not much larger/heavier than the SL. Battery life is better than the Fuji/Hasselblad options.

- The lenses are astounding. They're stunning wide open and stunning stopped down. Just brilliant. I don't have CS lenses but it's nice to know I can go there if I need to.

- The sensor has less resolution than the 645Z, certainly. It's 900 pixels less horizontally. But it's a match in ratio with the SL so I can mix and match cameras on a single shoot without having to crop. The 007 sensor is great. Loads of dynamic range. Leica say 15 stops in some literature and 13 in others. It's probably somewhere in between. The 645Z sensor might be a bit better but it's not by much. The Leica sensor is 16bit. The miniMF sensor in the Pentax is read at 14 bits as will the Fuji be. It's s noticeable step up from the SL or even the A7R2 in colour transitions and dynamic range.

-Operationally the 007 is much faster than the 645Z. Image reply is instant. Things load faster. It's a snappy camera. Af is better than the 645Z with FA lenses and about the same as DA lenses. Reports of sluggish X1D's don't make me want one as much.

- I already own some S lenses. Got one with the S2 (35mm) and bought the zoom at 1/2 price (near mint) and the 70 and 120mm. So I had lenses. That means the cost of the 007 is about the same as the investment I needed for the Fuji/Hasselblad.

- I'd prefer mirrorless personally. I'll live with live view. The screen should be flippy but isn't. LENR and the short exposure times mean I won't be selling my Pentax just yet. But I may trade it for the Hasselblad to have a portable/travel MF system *IF* the lens road map convinces me I won't have huge holes in the lens range. If I could do 30 min exposures and turn off LENR then I would be all Leica. I'm hopeful the next S will be a mirrorless body with all the advantages that offers.

- All the lenses i want are available now. No waiting. No road map. Sure I'd like a fast 65mm (f1.4?), a super wide zoom and a telezoom but I am happy with what I have. I want the 24mm, .......... bad :)

- I'm not one to be terribly concerned with resale values. If I don't like a camera I turn it over quickly. If I like it I use it hard. It'll more than pay its way. Compared to lenses that keep up with the Leicas, Leica is mid priced.

- I'm looking to take my business somewhere new. I shot 6x6 for years and then went all small format when digital came out. I want to push the envelope a bit. I bought the Pentax as a personal camera for landscapes but it crept into a job here and there and I loved the results. But except for a couple of lenses I needed to shoot stopped down. great for landscapes. Not so much for portraiture. The Leica allows me to shoot wide or down at will.

- 007 colours are consistent with my SL. I have my SL colours and workflow really dialled in now and I love the files I'm making. The 007 is that. just more.

- I seriously considered waiting for the X1D or Fuji GFX. But the Hasselblad lenses are an unknown quantity and they haven't announced the ones I'd want, yet. I saw a video on the Fuji at PK. The 120mm looks as big as the S 120. Expected. You need to make the lenses as big as you need to make them. But it says although the body is 500grams lighter the *system* might not be the huge size/weight saver we hope it is. The Hasselblad lenses will be smaller but slower. I appreciate the faster lenses for my uses.

I was really hoping for a mirrorless S at Photokina, but since I didn't get one I'll make do with what is a really really good camera.

Gordon

This is excellent. Thank you. Exactly what I needed to know.

Working out a deal on an S right now.