Film suggestions for old lenses

Susie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

I am off to Zululand again soon and by way of a change thought that instead of using my M6 and modern lenses (ie only 20 or 30 years old) I would take a screwmount camera and a series of Elmars: 35, 50, 90 and 135 all from the 1930's.

Has anyone tried Adox CHS11 with older lenses?  If so what developer did you use and what did you think of the results?

I appreciate that really I should test expose and develop the film myself, but suggestions as a starting point would be welcome.  This time of year the landscape is fairly green and the earth predominantly redish (there is a lot of iron in the soil).

Susie

Of course, there is also the view that I should use a Monochrom...

Edited by Susie

I think that there is no relationship between the "era" of the lens and the best film for your purposes. I think that the character of the lens will show up on whatever film you are using. The character of the film will be whatever it is, independent of the lens throwing the image.

I use "old" lenses ('50s and '60s) and modern film (XP2 almost exclusively), and I am very happy with my pictures (at least technically).

Use the film you like and the ones suited for your purposes. I am assuming that you want the technically best pictures you can get, and not trying to replicate inferior results from yesteryear. And stick with film - you wont regret it, IMO.

Edited by Michael Hiles
  • Like 4

The character of the lenses is of course independent of the recording medium.

The character of the recording medium you choose will depend on your intentions.

If you want to show that those lenses, when stopped down appropriately, are sharp you will choose a suitable film or digital medium.

If you want an overall character feel to the work from the film to add to the lens character then I would suggest the Foma Retropan 320, its film character shines through almost completely independently of developer used.

There are examples on the Flickr Group: https://www.flickr.com/groups/2835476@N25/

Those that look grain free are large format  :D

As an example:

21040992086_b0197946a7_c.jpg

With a very modern Zeiss 35mm f1.4 Distagon on an M2 whose look is "moderated" by the film. That is using Pyrocat HD, Semi stand, a sharp developer.

Loch Lubnaig Scotland

As to CHS II I have 94 examples I see on my Flickr, lenses will be noted but I don't think I have shot any on my IIIc, here is one at random:

12910095585_8db4b2e821_c.jpg

Formby Point, Merseyside now I think.

It is on the Nikon rangefinders lens 35mm f1.8 so quite modern  ;) in TD-201 developer.

The 94 are here:  https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=52616306%40N05&sort=date-taken-desc&view_all=1&text=adox%20chs

I think the "take home" message is the "look" of the modern, very sharp Distagon looks "retro" the older, by 50 years perhaps Nikkor, which is no slouch in the sharpness department looks suitably sharp and "modern" on the CHS.

Of course there is no rule AFAIK that you can only take one film type with you.

Edited by chris_livsey
  • Like 3

I think using a screwmount is an excellent idea and agree with what Michael and Chris have said about the results.

I'd just add that if the 'look' you're going for is a more retro look, then stay away from the T grains and use older emulsions.

And please do post in the I Like Film thread :)

Philip

• Like 1

There are examples on the Flickr Group: https://www.flickr.com/groups/2835476@N25/

Those that look grain free are large format :D

As an example:

21040992086_b0197946a7_c.jpg

With a very modern Zeiss 35mm f1.4 Distagon on an M2 whose look is "moderated" by the film. That is using Pyrocat HD, Semi stand, a sharp developer.

Loch Lubnaig Scotland

As to CHS II I have 94 examples I see on my Flickr,

Chris,

Really enjoyed viewing your images on Flickr.

Frank

Edited by Frank Sellitto
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for your input guys.

Chris, I hadn't thought of (or heard of, I must admit) of Forma Retro, but thanks for the suggestion, and the link to the flickr page.

This will be our fourth trip to Zululand/ Natal.  Each time I have used my M6 with contempory lenses, while the others on the expedition use digital. There are only seven of us rattling around in a minibus, often on foot off the beaten track, so light weight is a priority.

I just thought that I would go for a 'retro' look to my photos this time, reminisant of the 1930's, and given the modest max aperture of the lenses the Foma might prove to be just the ticket.  I am trying to be pure Elmar about this, but a Summar might creep in as well, just in case.

(The only thing nagging me is whether I should take my Rolleiflex instead.  I had it serviced for last year's trip, but defaulted to the M6 again)

I still have a few weeks to buy some and do a test roll or two.

Susie

Edited by Susie
  • Like 1