Frank Sellitto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I put this in the 'street photography' forum with little to no response.  I happen to have several rolls of delta 3200  It took several recipes to get satisfactory results.  This image was pulled to 1000 asa and developed in hc-110 b.  I can see using this combo for highly structured compositions and thought I would share the results with film shooters.

Frank

i meant for this to be posted in the 'i like film' thread.

It's been that kind of week......sorry for the confusion!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Frank Sellitto

I think the picture is interesting, what with the upside down bike.

Technically, it is not clear what your goals are. Dirk is right – it is very grainy, much more than I would expect or than I would accept for any of my work (you are not me – right).

Conventionally speaking, the “print” is very flat. There are no clear whites or blacks. The chimney highlights should be totally white, and there should be some completely black areas, probably one of the small windows, or maybe the rear tire of the bike. Mainly the middle tones will take care of themselves. This should be easily fixable in any image software such as Photoshop Elements (Silver Efex Pro is fabulous in this regard, and it is now free).

For this kind of picture, most people I know would advise against Delta 3200. I would suggest XP2 (C41) or Delta 100 developed in Spur HRX – either will be sharp and essentially grainless with long tones. Delta 3200 will in the best circumstances be grainy, even with an ideal developer (I don’t know what it would be). Maybe you intend grainy, but it does not seem to me to add to the picture – I think it is a distraction.

To be clear, I am not trying to be offensive or dogmatic (perhaps unsuccessfully). However you asked for a response, and it seems to me that the picture has lots of unrealized potential.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the picture is interesting, what with the upside down bike.

Technically, it is not clear what your goals are. Dirk is right – it is very grainy, much more than I would expect or than I would accept for any of my work (you are not me – right).

Conventionally speaking, the “print” is very flat. There are no clear whites or blacks. The chimney highlights should be totally white, and there should be some completely black areas, probably one of the small windows, or maybe the rear tire of the bike. Mainly the middle tones will take care of themselves. This should be easily fixable in any image software such as Photoshop Elements (Silver Efex Pro is fabulous in this regard, and it is now free).

For this kind of picture, most people I know would advise against Delta 3200. I would suggest XP2 (C41) or Delta 100 developed in Spur HRX – either will be sharp and essentially grainless with long tones. Delta 3200 will in the best circumstances be grainy, even with an ideal developer (I don’t know what it would be). Maybe you intend grainy, but it does not seem to me to add to the picture – I think it is a distraction.

To be clear, I am not trying to be offensive or dogmatic (perhaps unsuccessfully). However you asked for a response, and it seems to me that the picture has lots of unrealized potential.

LOL!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk