New Old Stock?

ricomortus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with buying "new old stock" from an authorized leica dealer. 

I've recently gotten a great deal on a 50mm summilux asph from an authorized dealer here in Oman. The lens is brand new, but the serial number indicates that it was produced in 2013. Maybe I am thinking too much, but are "new old stock" an issue? Leica is a very uncommon camera brand over here and I was able to get the 50 summilux for about 2600 usd. Everything seems to be in working order with the lens. But I am wondering if anyone has been on the same boat as me? Purchasing a brand new item that was produced a few years ago.

I am still new in terms of the leica system, so please forgive me for my ignorance. 

Thanks,

Rico

Edited by ricomortus

Don't worry, Rico!

Production numbers at Leica do not indicate a production year. Leica gives a batch of numbers for an item and it can take sevberal months or even years until they are fully used up. On the other hand side, what do three years shelf live mean for an optical / mechanical item mean? Nothing! So be glad for the good bargain and do not hassle with unnecessary questions about any NOS-loss.

No worry if it's a reputable Leica dealer (who deals a lot with Leica), with full written Leica and dealer warranties.  You should also be able to take test shots (and perhaps compare LV to RF focus on an M240 to identify any issue).  Be sure to rotate the focus throughout the range, including fine tune focusing to ensure smooth action, which can be a bit of a problem with some samples.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

[...] Be sure to rotate the focus throughout the range, including fine tune focusing to ensure smooth action, which can be a bit of a problem with some samples. [...]

+1 and don't believe your dealer if he/she claims that a stiff focus ring will smoothen with use. It will or will not depending on i don't know what. Mine had to be fixed by Leica and it took several months for that. Welcome to the forum BTW :).

The new v5 Summicron I bought a couple years ago had a slight rough drag in part of the focus range, and was stiffer than I like. Yet it wore in with use and is now perfect. However, it does not have the complex FLE mechanics like the Summilux ASPH, so I agree, the Summilux may not smooth out like simpler lenses.

Edited by TomB_tx

My 'sticky' focus action didn't improve after more than a year, and Leica could not fix it.  I sent it to DAG and he had it back in a week, working perfectly, after replacing the grease with his old Leitz stock (that Leica Service no longer uses or stores).

Jeff

Oh dear. Now there's magic grease. Is it perhaps rendered from rocking horse droppings?

It's the same grease Leica used for decades, until they started substituting apparently inferior lubricant, much to the chagrin of repair folks like DAG and Sherry K, who while making money on Leica's shortcomings, don't like what's happened in many aspects over time.  At least DAG was wise enough to stockpile a supply.

Jeff