Backpack options?

Deliberate1

The problem with camera backpacks is that they are always a compromise in some way or other.   I generally dislike most them because they are invariably over-engineered, gimicky and heavy but sometimes they are a better idea than trowing everything into a rucksack as I would for a day on the hill. 

I've been using the Orlieb Day-Shot waterproof backpack for a couple of years.  Originally bought for a specific project in Colorado, it has proven to be completely waterproof, snowproof and dustproof so I'm happy enough with it. Reviewed it here:

Ortlieb Day-Shot waterproof backpack

• Like 3

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

If you have a favourite shoulder bag, some manufacturers offer a backpack harness. Here is for instance my "everything but the kitchen sink" Billingham Hadley Presstop , with the 105-280 attached and the Billingham Harness.  It is surprisingly comfortable to carry.

attachicon.gifL8900521.jpg

attachicon.gifL8900520.jpg

Ohh man are you kidding me.............ive wanted something like that for my Billingham Harley 550

Did you get the harness from Billingham Jaapv ???

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Alright, at first I thought I wouldn't comment since I think I have a fairly different approach to most S shooters here.

Most of the time (and until a few month ago) I was only carrying my M9 with 35mm Summilux and maybe an ND Filter .. small Gorillapod and a spare lens (if at all) in my Billingham Hadley Pro.

For me it's always important to have a bag that, aside from my camera equipment, holds at least a bottle and hopefully a few other things that I might pick up along the way on a day out. 

Since I would never ever leave my M9 ... and went to NYC to shoot everyday .. Since I bought the S006, I had to get something else ..  a backpack.

For me as mentioned, a regular photo backpack doesn't really do it ... apart from not wanting to get spotted as a photographer immediately, I just don't like "function" wear and equipment. I Like simple ... like my Billingham like my Leica. 

Anyhow, I was going to get a Zkin Yeti, which I think is a beatiful Backpack. It doesn't really look like a photographers back, though it has a lower compartment which you can customize for you equipment. It also has a top compartment which can be used .. well for anything.

The bag was sold out or on backorder when I ordered it .. luckily I found something else in a neighboring Forum. By accident. 

Langly Alpha Pro II ... all black. Looks a bit like a military rucksack, made of waterproof material and similar to the zkin yeti has a top and bottom compartment.

Now there are quite a few things that could definitely be improved, but overall I'm pretty happy. It looks inconspicuous, fits a lot of stuff if necessary (including a 15" Laptop and a tripod on the bottom), is waterproof and relatively lightweight.

For me it's not meant for everyday use .. it's something that I use when I need a lot of equipment (more than my m9+summilux and laptop). I haven't really used it since I was back, but I haven't really gone out shooting with the S since I'm back. 

Kind of sad, but I hardly have time to "go out to specifically shoot" .. .I just always carry my M9 wherever I go.

Edited by diddus
  • Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Ohh man are you kidding me.............ive wanted something like that for my Billingham Harley 550

Did you get the harness from Billingham Jaapv ???

I checked Birminghams website they don't have that harness anymore

I have been looking at the f-stop bags and doing a little research on them. From what I can tell, they are barely in business these days. I was about to order the loka ul and an insert but decided to wait. Speculation is they will not make it. What a shame because a lot of folks really like their bags.

• Like 1

I have been looking at the f-stop bags and doing a little research on them. From what I can tell, they are barely in business these days. I was about to order the loka ul and an insert but decided to wait. Speculation is they will not make it. What a shame because a lot of folks really like their bags.

My thoughts as well. I would be hesitant to send money to a company that appears not to be filling orders for those who have already laid down their money. Bags can be had on Ebay, but there are no deals, even for used bags. With no supply, demand increases for what some might consider to be a collectible.

I have a F-Stop Loka with Medium Pro ICU, which I use if hauling multiple cameras plus lenses and flash units. I bought it primarily for international travel using a Canon 1DX + EF 300 + another body and 2-3 lenses for shooting track cycling. It is very well designed and made, and comfortable to wear all day walking.

I had the same experiences noted above in dealing with their online store, but some Singapore retailers had most of their line in stock. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from a retailer, regardless of the state of the manufacturer.

I found the insert on ebay I was looking for. I have not had much luck with a retailer search in the USA. The f-stop website says they have the Loka UL instock so I might try that if all else fails. F-stop had a big presence at Photokina according to a Facebook posting.

• Like 1

I was able to get the insert for $78 off ebay and it was new, never used. The backpack I ordered from f-stop and it arrived in 5 days the same as the intsert. I bought the Kashmir UL for its smaller size. I figured I would not pack as much if I bought a smaller pack. My back is old and I cannot support that much anymore. We sill see. So if the f-stop website has an item in stock, there should be no wait. Most of their ICU inserts are on back order and I would hesitate to order one at this time.

• Like 1

Bill

I appreciate your post as I have been looking at that bag well. You undoubtedly have read that this bag is being marketed as woman-specific, I assume due to the length of the back of bag. Or perhaps it is just a marketing thing and the bag has no unique gender qualities. Perhaps you would post your thoughts once you have lived with it for a spell.

Cheers

David

Bill

I appreciate your post as I have been looking at that bag well. You undoubtedly have read that this bag is being marketed as woman-specific, I assume due to the length of the back of bag. Or perhaps it is just a marketing thing and the bag has no unique gender qualities. Perhaps you would post your thoughts once you have lived with it for a spell.

Cheers

David

It must be a marketing thing and I read that before ordering. I am 6'3" and it fits me fine. As I stated, I was looking for something that would not weigh me and my bad back down any more than necessary. It is the smallest bag that will take their Large Pro ICU which I would need to carry my S equipment. I have not done a fitting as yet but it should hold what I would need. I need to find some straps to attach my tripod.

• Like 1

Bill, perhaps your bag is specifically designed for women who exceed 6' in height....

I am looking at the Tilopa and am trying to decide what size ICU would accommodate an S body with 35 or 70 attached, with room on the side the other and a Contax 120mm. I am thinking the large slope would be required if for no other reason that the medium version is only 4.5+/-inches in depth, and the lenses are 6.5+/- inches tall. Unless there is sufficient room to store the lenses on their side. Your thoughts?

David

Edited by Deliberate1

Bill, perhaps your bag is specifically designed for women who exceed 6' in height....

I am looking at the Tilopa and am trying to decide what size ICU would accommodate an S body with 35 or 70 attached, with room on the side the other and a Contax 120mm. I am thinking the large slope would be required if for no other reason that the medium version is only 4.5+/-inches in depth, and the lenses are 6.5+/- inches tall. Unless there is sufficient room to store the lenses on their side. Your thoughts?

David

David,

Let me fiddle with the ICU tomorrow and I can let you know what I find and perhaps post some photos of what I find. Hopefully you can find the ICU you are looking for as they are all on back order at f-stop 4-6-weeks.

• Like 1

David,

Let me fiddle with the ICU tomorrow and I can let you know what I find and perhaps post some photos of what I find. Hopefully you can find the ICU you are looking for as they are all on back order at f-stop 4-6-weeks.

Appreciate that, Bill.

I am actually looking at a retailer in Norway which claims have some pieces in stock.

D