Backpack options?

Deliberate1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Friends, I would be interested to hear from those of you who have found a good backpack for your S kit. I do a fair amount of day hiking over terrain that is not suitable for my Peak Design messenger bag which works wonderfully on flat. I do have a Kata bag which has proven its mettle when hauling LF and my Rollei 6008 kit. But it just swallows up the S and is too big to justify hauling it around with that gear. So what I am looking for is a bag that would accommodate the body, three lenses, tripod secured externally and doodads.

Thanks.

David

Check out the Gura Gear 26L Bataflae (also comes in bigger and smaller versions, 18L to 32L).  Since the company merged with Tamrac, the bags have since changed, but these proven earlier Gura Gear versions are still available at reduced prices.  Small yet versatile, well constructed, with good protection and access.  There are reviews and videos online.

Jeff

• Like 1

If you have a favourite shoulder bag, some manufacturers offer a backpack harness. Here is for instance my "everything but the kitchen sink" Billingham Hadley Presstop , with the 105-280 attached and the Billingham Harness.  It is surprisingly comfortable to carry.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Any 25-30 liter trekking pack with a waist belt. I travel all over the world with a Kelty Redwing. I carry the tripod with a sling over my shoulder if I need my hands free or if I need trekking poles. I take it as carry-on luggage on an airplane also.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850L using Tapatalk

• Like 1

One of the best backpacks that I have used to this date is F-Stop Tilopa (http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/tilopa.html). Mine is the PhaseOne version which I got with my P1 XF system but I use it for all my travels. Easily I can fit two medium format bodies and three to four lenses in the bag + tripod, laptop and more! In addition it has the best structure with internal wires to balance the weight on the body while you are hiking.

Down side, it is always on backordered but you might be able to find a dealer who might have it in their inventory!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I also like Fstop, and I have the Loka, with one of the Fstop inserts (ICUs they call them).

It has a full opening back panel to give access to the contents, which most standard trekking packs don't have - accessing all your camera kit from a hole at the top is not fun.

Most photography backpacks are not good trekking/hiking packs: you need a good waist belt support as a minimum if you're going to carry weight, and the shoulder straps need to be adjustable for separation across your shoulders, as well as length. The Loka has enough adjustment at the top end for me, but not much. It is also very light as photography packs and standard trekking packs go, though modern ultralights beat it.

That said, we are all different shapes, so my most comfortable pack may give you backache: you have to try them.

I can't comment on the Loka for the S: I use it for the M (often clipped to a shoulder strap with a Peak Design Capture Pro clip, which is impractical for the S). I carry a tripod strapped to the outside, but I'm looking for a shorter one to go inside.

Edit: the Loka is also standard cabin bag size

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

I use a MindShift Backlight 26L, and I fit a S007, SL, 24, 35 and 70mm lenses, 3 Voigtlander lenses (10, 12, 15mm), adapters (M-Adapter T and S-Adapter T), filter holders and a filter bag, extra batteries, bits and pieces. Carries great, great weight distribution, opens on the back's side so no accidental gear falling, no gear stealing, no dirty shirts or jackets after picking the bag up from the ground. I love it so far :D

Best,

Vieri

• Like 1

Hi David,

I like to use the smallest bag possible, finding that bulk can be more limiting than weight.  Once it is on my back a small bag is all but forgotten.  I carry two lenses and a single body along with filters, a jacket, gps, water and food in the Lowepro ProTactic 350 AW.  

If you live in the U.S. :  http://www.frys.com/product/8371867?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG ,

they run sales on this bag @ $100.  

For three lenses it might be a difficult fit, I normally festoon small cases on the outside of the bag, it has attachment points from top to bottom.   I will normally carry my camera in hand while hiking and have a separate case for the camera if the need arises.  

• Like 1

Gura Gear Battaflae 32L is my preferred choice. Beautifully built, rugged and excellently engineered. I have the billingham with the back straps but, while fine for an M system, I find the Billingham too bulky, too heavy and frankly awkward for the S system.

Albert  :)  :)  :)

PS Gura Gear recently purchased Tamrac and has come out with a newer iteration of the Battaflae 32, called the G32.. It is well built but they changed the design so would go for oldy but goody. Comes in other sizes, 18 Liter and a medium one..

• Like 1

I have the 300, 400, and 500 models of the LowePro Flipside series and find them comfortable and low-key. Their signature feature is that they open on the side touching your back (hence the name), which protects your gear from both theft and accidental openings. The design also allows you to take your camera in and out with the bag hanging off one shoulder.

• Like 1

Gura Gear Battaflae 32L is my preferred choice. Beautifully built, rugged and excellently engineered. I have the billingham with the back straps but, while fine for an M system, I find the Billingham too bulky, too heavy and frankly awkward for the S system.

PS Gura Gear recently purchased Tamrac and has come out with a newer iteration of the Battaflae 32, called the G32.. It is well built but they changed the design so would go for oldy but goody. Comes in other sizes, 18 Liter and a medium one..

Post #3. 

Jeff

I have the 300, 400, and 500 models of the LowePro Flipside series and find them comfortable and low-key. Their signature feature is that they open on the side touching your back (hence the name), which protects your gear from both theft and accidental openings. The design also allows you to take your camera in and out with the bag hanging off one shoulder.

Alan, I have used the Lowe Slingshot series and enjoyed the the flexibility of accessing and changing lenses without having to remove it. I do not think it would work with the S because of the size of the body and, especially, lenses. So I was interested to check out the Flipside series on your recommendation. As with the Slingshot, the Flipside permits you to access the contents without laying the bag on the ground. If  you use that function, is the bag balanced enough to change a lens with the bag draped around your waist?

David

I second the above suggestions to take a look at the f-stop backpacks. They are designed with mountaineering / hiking in mind, yet designed for photographers. They are well designed and despite the recent backlog issues due to the change of a supplier, they are worth a close look. 

The quantity of your gear would determine which model is most suitable. I have been used a tilopa for a few years now, which is an excellent backpack in my opinion, to carry my 4x5 with three lenses and accessories and in a couple of occasions I was able to fit both the Linhof Master Technika 4x5 set and the Leica S with two lenses, plus filters, tripod and accessories, 46lbs of gear (done a couple of times for comparison purposes spending a weekend in Utah....not anymore). However, if you don't have a lot of gear, you may want to consider a smaller backpack. The tilopa is technically borderline with the cabin luggage restrictions depending how full its is and even though the size might be within the limits, its weight is likely not. 

As an alternative for when I carry my Leica S only, I have an f-stop Kenti backpack, which is comfortable and way within the limit of most airlines. I am able to fit the Leica S with the 30, 70 and 120, a LEE Filter set including 4 glass filter, CPL, 2 additional screw-in filters and rings, a spot meter, spare batteries and other accessories as well as a Gitzo 5 series strap on the side. It also fit a I-pad or small lap-top. Unfortunately the Kenti was recently discontinued, perhaps you can find one gently used or in stock at a store. I assume a new model of similar size has replaced it. 

Cheers, 

Lorenzo

• Like 1

One of the best backpacks that I have used to this date is F-Stop Tilopa (http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/tilopa.html). Mine is the PhaseOne version which I got with my P1 XF system but I use it for all my travels. Easily I can fit two medium format bodies and three to four lenses in the bag + tripod, laptop and more! In addition it has the best structure with internal wires to balance the weight on the body while you are hiking.

Down side, it is always on backordered but you might be able to find a dealer who might have it in their inventory!

Very much appreciate the images. Very helpful to actually see the bag in use rather than in some product shoot.

I have spent some time on the f-stop site. I am a really pushover for a sexy bag, and this company scratches many itches.

I particularly like that the bag opens from the back. I am embarrassed to say how many times I have set my Kata bag down, grabbed some gear , made the shoot and then reached down to pick up without checking the flap was zipped. Tragedies were averted  - barely. With the rear entry design of the F-Stop bag, that is far less likely to to happen.

May I ask two questions:

How cool on the back is the rear panel. Being as water-sealed as the bag claims to be, I wonder how breathable the back panel is. No matter how balanced a bag is, no matter how padded it is, a bag fails if your back feels like it is being poached.

How did you configure the interior with the ICU dividers. Very interesting concept.

Much obliged,

David

PS: What do you think of the Anja, principally as a day pack or week-ender.

http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/ajna.html

Very much appreciate the images. Very helpful to actually see the bag in use rather than in some product shoot.

I have spent some time on the f-stop site. I am a really pushover for a sexy bag, and this company scratches many itches.

I particularly like that the bag opens from the back. I am embarrassed to say how many times I have set my Kata bag down, grabbed some gear , made the shoot and then reached down to pick up without checking the flap was zipped. Tragedies were averted  - barely. With the rear entry design of the F-Stop bag, that is far less likely to to happen.

May I ask two questions:

How cool on the back is the rear panel. Being as water-sealed as the bag claims to be, I wonder how breathable the back panel is. No matter how balanced a bag is, no matter how padded it is, a bag fails if your back feels like it is being poached.

How did you configure the interior with the ICU dividers. Very interesting concept.

Much obliged,

David

PS: What do you think of the Anja, principally as a day pack or week-ender.

http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/ajna.html

The back of the backpack is breathable and for me it is fine. I have used other backpacks including Lowepro ProTactic 450 and the F-stop Tilopa was a better option for me.

I use the XL pro ICU for one platform (PhaseOne or Leica S with few lenses) or Small Pro ICU (Sony A7 series and two lenses) + Medium Slope ICU combo (S007 and one extra lens).

I haven't used other backpacks from their product line. I would suggest to find a dealer who has their backpacks in stock, if you order directly from f-stop online store you might stay on their long waiting list for few months or a year. Also company has some financial issues (based on few photography blogs) and they are having some challenges with their delivery timelines.

Overall I rally like the design and quality of their products and highly recommend it.

• Like 1