Robert White

The prices paid were exceptionally 'healthy'. This confirms a feeling I got from yesterday's Breker auction that the market is bouncing back up again. The way the items are listed is sometimes a bit mystifying with extra items sometimes thrown in with a 'main' item. The first item looks to me like an f4 90mm lens for the CL which would normally sell for about £200 but maybe I am mistaken or photos got mixed up. This was an excellent collection which has now gone to quite a few homes.

William

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From a quick view, "normal" items got rather "normal" prices imho...

some nice bikes, also... I noticed the MV Agusta 750GT, which was made in 20 items only iirc... I thought it could had even fetched some more (but.. it's an ultrare motorbike with a noble brand and nothing more to be valued, indeed...)

Robert once showed me his pride and joy collection of Broughs which Jay Lenho bought for £3m, and told me he "saved" the odd trade-in Leica item!  I don't think anyone but him knew the true extent of his collections. Given that he also owned all the factory units adjacent to his shop where he kept his cars and motorcycles and others in the block  he rented out, still owned his original shop, house etc he did remarkably well as a totally self made man from photographic sales. His final generosity will be long remembered locally.

• Like 2

I am curious, what is special about the 28mm 6.3 Hektor (Lot 10?) That seems extraordinarily high? Is this lens becoming a more desirable collectible?

Collectiblend shows this as between $1300-$1400 for very good and between $2200-$2400 for mint. These are averages for a number of recent auctions. As I said above, the prices, generally, were pretty 'full', which is re-assuring for our existing collections.

William

Some lovely items, for sure, but I must admit I loved lots 7 and 8 - especially the latter.

I used to have a very low 5-digit I to IIIa conversion with 11 o'clock Nickel Elmar and, though hardly worth much in monetary terms, I have always regretted selling it. Lot #8 would have been just the thing to take it's place.

P.

Edited by pippy

I am curious, what is special about the 28mm 6.3 Hektor (Lot 10?) That seems extraordinarily high? Is this lens becoming a more desirable collectible?

It's an uncommon variant (Nickel), with a very early s/n (250.091 - production started at 250.001), in good conditions and with original box : all in all, a really fine collection's item - price is into a "right" range, I'd say...  a nickel item in the 250.8xx range was auctioned at 2000 Euro around some years ago, without box... another one last year for a similar price...

I am more surprised by the price made by # 25 (Summilux 35 chrome... ok..it has the OLLUX.. :huh: )... expecially in comparision with the next # 24 (2 lenses, one very common, the other not so much).

Probably at auction houses like Bonham's, less strictly specialized than WestLicht and similar, it's more probable to find such "irregularities"...

Edited by luigi bertolotti

It's an uncommon variant (Nickel), with a very early s/n (250.091 - production started at 250.001), in good conditions and with original box : all in all, a really fine collection's item - price is into a "right" range, I'd say...  a nickel item in the 250.8xx range was auctioned at 2000 Euro around some years ago, without box... another one last year for a similar price...

I am more surprised by the price made by # 25 (Summilux 35 chrome... ok..it has the OLLUX.. :huh: )... expecially in comparision with the next # 24 (2 lenses, one very common, the other not so much).

Probably at auction houses like Bonham's, less strictly specialized than WestLicht and similar, it's more probable to find such "irregularities"...

Once again Collectiblend is remarkably accurate. This one is shown at $4000-$4,200 for very good and $6500-$7000 for mint. This one seems to be in quite good condition and if you add in the OLLUX.

Likewise, what is special about lot 29, M3 that makes it worth £27,500? I don't see anything 'special' about it so why so high?

Quite amazing!

This was the last M3 ever made. From what I heard two bidders who knew this got into a bidding war producing the remarkable price.

William

• Like 1

Likewise, what is special about lot 29, M3 that makes it worth £27,500? I don't see anything 'special' about it so why so high?

Quite amazing!

See JC post #4   and Wiki confirms...

1164846 1164865 Leica M3 1967 20

Of course this is strictly TYPICAL of what makes Leica collecting a special niche within the niche of camera collecting...  :p ... I have a Summicron 90 that is one of the last 50 made in chrome... and was happy that the seller knew only that it was a Summicron 90... B)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

I had a bid in for lot 44, the 5 LTM cameras but withdrew it after buying the Reid & Sigrist and a pair of lenses (5cm f1.9 LTM Canon and a 1999 year 50mm f2 11619 Summicron LTM Special Edition). I might have won it at the bid I put in, if the other bidder was not there in person but had put in an absentee bid like I had. My bid was marginally above the winning bid. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

" From what I heard two bidders who knew this got into a bidding war producing the remarkable price."

There's obviously a wide lattitude of being a winner:

from THE Enzo's statement, that #2 is the the first loser (never mind his occasional hand written letters to the widdows)

to this situation, where (next morning?) #2 was the winner - alongside with R.W.'s estate :D

The winner's the one, who feels like one

also being able and ready to win again next time :)

PS: shoot! If I knew in time, I would have gotten the IIIg + the 2/50 Rigid for the sake of the lens, while one can not have enough IIIg bodies, for the different films.