R 35 Summicron VII ROM or wait for SL35?

MEB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That is my question.  I have the 24-90 and love everything this lens can do but I'm looking for something lighter and smaller for those days when I remember that I am no longer 25 (or 55 for that matter).  I like the idea of AF but it is not mandatory since I used M cameras for 15 years.  Also, I expect that the SL 35 will probably be over $4K US but that is not a decisive issue.  Is it worth it to wait for the SL35?  Mostly, will it be significantly smaller and lighter than the current SL lenses (including the new 50) and is it likely to perform twice as well as the R 35 summicron on the SL?

Thanks,

Mark

I have the Summicron-R and find it perfect for the SL. I have it since 25 years, and I also have two M 35s.

Even if they are slightly different on paper, there is hardly a difference in the photos. And so will it be for SL 35. Leica always produced lenses of high quality.

Buy a used lens (I saw a R 2.8/35 lately for just 200$) and decide later when you can test the new SL 35.

What kind of wonders are you expecting from the new lens ?    ;)  

I see you used M Leica since 15 years ...  I just wonder that you do not have any kind of older lens (M or R), to adapt and use as a stopgap. Maybe you are shocked, but Contax are also nice stopgaps. (3.4/35-70 if the 24-90 is too heavy; light and with excellent IQ)

Maybe another shocker: I use also the Leica R 28mm as stopgap (the older version that is easy to find and not expensive) especially on "tours" (bike or per pedes). It has some weakness (dreaminess) close up but extremely nice (rich) color rendering and is great for landscape and for "memories".

Better go an try some lenses in the meantime until the new lenses arrive - you have nothing to lose and so much to win.    :D

Edited by steppenw0lf

Perhaps you misunderstood my post.  I am not new to Leica...I have had M cameras and lenses (and Zeiss ZM) for 15 years.  I never had any Leica R.  I now have the R 100 macro for my SL.  I sold all my M lenses except for my 50 summilux to help pay for the SL system.

I'm not expecting a miracle lens with the SL35 but I will not get it unless it is a significantly smaller/lighter lens than the current run of SL lenses.  With the 24-90 I can cover the same field but it is very bulky and is a stop slower than the summicron.

Mark

In your place i would start with using the Summilux 50 on the SL. And then add a used or new 35 or 28, in M or R or ZM mount. For you the M would be the most natural choice. This will keep you busy while waiting for the SL 35 lens (in a year or two).

The SL 35 will be smaller than the 24-90 but not as small as a R lens or even a M lens. See also the thread about the new lenses. (with pictures from Leica booth at Photokina)

Edited by steppenw0lf

I am completely satisfied with the Summicron-R 35mm f/2 on the SL. I'd buy the new SL lens if I wanted AF and the other exposure modes. From the pictures, it will be about the same size as the two-adapter stack and R35 lens.

When I fit the adapter and the 'Lux 35 v2, they feel too small on the body and it doesn't balance as well, imo. The Lux 35 now lives almost permanently on my M-D. :-)

Edited by ramarren

I sold the SEM 21mm, Summicron 28mm and Summicron 35mm to help fund the 24-90 zoom lens.

Although I am extremely pleased with the SL body and the combination of SL and 24-90 if I had known what I know now about the upcoming SL prime lenses I very honestly probably would not have invested in the SL...

I really feel Leica is following the wrong strategy with the big and heavy primes.

Anyway, if I want to go light I only carry the Leica Q, otherwise I tend to carry both the SL and the Q in a backpack.  

Get an R 35/2 ....... even a cosmetically excellent one is going to cost you well under $1000 ..... use it and enjoy it.

When the SL 35 ever appears, sell it on eBay ...... you will never lose much money on second hand Leica lenses. 

It's a no brainer. 

That is pretty much my thinking now.  The SL35 looks to be more than a year down the road and I would like to have a 35 prime to walk around with at times when I don't feel like hauling the 24-90 no matter how fine that lens is.

Thanks,

Mark

I sold the SEM 21mm, Summicron 28mm and Summicron 35mm to help fund the 24-90 zoom lens.

Although I am extremely pleased with the SL body and the combination of SL and 24-90 if I had known what I know now about the upcoming SL prime lenses I very honestly probably would not have invested in the SL...

I really feel Leica is following the wrong strategy with the big and heavy primes.

Anyway, if I want to go light I only carry the Leica Q, otherwise I tend to carry both the SL and the Q in a backpack.  

The newly announced lenses don't look much larger or heavier than the R system lenses, which I find to be quite reasonable and balance well on the SL. 

That is pretty much my thinking now.  The SL35 looks to be more than a year down the road and I would like to have a 35 prime to walk around with at times when I don't feel like hauling the 24-90 no matter how fine that lens is.

I under-utilize the SL24-90. I went out to photograph my car and used it this morning, made 20 exposures, and every single one of them, right out of the camera, was good enough to publish. It took work to cut my gallery down to 10 exposures. 

But I understand completely and would not be without a couple of smaller, lighter prime lenses for the majority of the time. The R35/2 is a wonderful lens..