Dull case question

Julian H

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

I have just bought an M262, I have lusted after a digital M for years but been "making do" with my M4 and scanning services which finally got to onerous!

For my previous camera I used to always buy an every ready case to use the base to make the camera easier to hold and protect it. I see Leica do a "camera protector" which is essentially the same thing and a 1/2 case? I also see a proliferation of 1/3rd party options available. All I require is something light, simple, plain and give good protection. What is my best option please?

Thanks

It sounds like a half case is what you're looking for and, as you have already seen, there are any number available from different makers. I have one from Leicatime (which has possibly the worst website in the world, but Luigi is famed for his excellent cases and straps). Everyone here will tell you a different maker for the best quality without any consensus - in the end you just have to pick one. Considerations: get one specific to the M262, as it will have cutouts where needed and not where you don't; decide whether you want it plain, with a bump to help grip, or a full incorporated grip (I have a bump). Otherwise the world is your oyster in terms of colour, stitching etc.

There maybe isn't a true consensus, but it has increasingly come down to two over the years. Luigi certainly was the 'leader' for many years, but in terms of quality, fit and speed of supply, the Arte de Mano, the other of the 'two', seems to be the one currently most in favour...

It isn't cheap. But nothing that good ever is... And you choose from hundreds of different combinations... so you choose style, leather, even the colour of your stitching... and all supplied to your specifications within a week or two... with excellent communication, which is exceptionally important.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Bill Livingston

The Leica case is the cheapest and works best in my experience though admittedly both luigi and arte di mano offer nicer leather options. I've tried them all and decided to go naked ultimately. I like how slimmer and lighter the camera feels without the case.

i must admit that  Luigi, Angelo Pelle and Arte di Mano are a bit rustic for my taste. The Leica Camera protector is the best of the bunch for me. Not that I like using my camera with a half case, I prefer unclad in general.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Arte di Mano way to go. Significantly better than  other 3rd party offerings. Price difficult to accept but when you have it in yourr hands there will be no regrets. The Leica case is a nice fit and thin, with a clever magnetic fastening for flap, but leather doesn't feel (or smell) as nice as A di M.

Edited by pedaes

i must admit that Luigi, Angelo Pelle and Arte di Mano are a bit rustic for my taste. The Leica Camera protector is the best of the bunch for me. Not that I like using my camera with a half case, I prefer unclad in general.

Rustic? The Arte Di Mano? Really???

I can't think of a less appropriate description.

Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Like 1

Rustic? The Arte Di Mano? Really???

I can't think of a less appropriate description.

I had one and found the leather rather thick and non-pliable, thus rustic. I also had a camera leather replacement from them and it could not hold a candle to Morgan's Cameraleather regarding both fit and even thinness of the leather. So no, I'm not impressed. Sorry.

Leica makes a neoprene case in small and large.  The small crushes to a pocketable size and will accommodate an m240 with 1/2 case and a smallish lens like the 50 Summicron.  The neoprene case is not simple to place on the camera but is easy to carry and provides excellent protection for transport such as in a backpack.    

Edited by darylgo

I had one and found the leather rather thick and non-pliable, thus rustic. I also had a camera leather replacement from them and it could not hold a candle to Morgan's Cameraleather regarding both fit and even thinness of the leather. So no, I'm not impressed. Sorry.

I think you must be confusing it with something else. Sorry.

I have Leica-brand full everready cases for both my M240s.  In shooting I only use the bottom halves, which have the distinct (to me) advantage over their half-case of having a hanging flap to cover the LCD and buttons.  I have it closed 99% of the time, but it's magnetically attached at the top so dropping it to review an image or change a setting is instantaneous.   I got both cases used for slightly more than the Leica half-case costs new.   Note that there are 2 versions of the full and half-cases.  The original case will obstruct the frame line preview lever on models that have one.