Can I Tether S 006 to IPAD Air 2

rollsman4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My advice - figure out where infinity focus really is - do it in good light, checking at high magnification (long press of thumb wheel while reviewing a picture or do it tethered). Mark, or remember exactly where on the infinity symbol you are. I've found AF in less than perfect light gets confused at long distances and will often focus at 15 meters instead. So if the light is poor and you focus on something distant, look at the lens barrel to be sure it focused out far enough. f/2.5 is a shallow DoF, and if the light is poor, and you're already at ISO 800, you'll want to be wide open. ISO 1600 is fine for a grainy B&W, but If I want color, I try to keep it at 800 or under.

Anyway, that's my experience with the 006 and the 35, 70, and 120.

And shoot shoot shoot! Boy, is it a fun camera to use!

Best,

Matt

I would like to check my focus and exposure on my Ipad from the S 006 . Is there any way to do this?  I don't want to buy a laptop. I want to take it on location with me. Thank you

I don't know of a way to tether to an iPad. Laptop, yes. The SL and Q can export Jpegs wirelessly to phone or iPad. I don't know if the 007 can, but I'm pretty sure the 006 can't.

Maybe a Microsoft Surface ? I bet the 006 would tether to one of them

Edited by pop
Fixed typo

there is an app "Leica S" for iphone/ipad. it doesn't allow real tethering, but controls over the camera and several functions. it s actually a wonderful app, but it isn't stable, it crashes from time to time and looses the wifi signal and so on. i wouldn't use it with a client, there is no reliability.

leica also hasn't updated the app since it came out. wonder whether they're serious about that app.

i know it works with S 007. go check it out.

Dang. Can't edit my post above. Last line should read "I bet the 006 would tether to one of them."

Glad to hear that wifi transfer (even if only jpeg?) works on the 007. After using it on the Q, I really miss it on the 006.

--Matt

Hi Matt, I am starting to think nothing available for the IPAD I have. So, I am going to look into an Apple Laptop so I can tether my S ,  Thank you

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like to check my focus and exposure on my Ipad from the S 006 . Is there any way to do this?  I don't want to buy a laptop. I want to take it on location with me. Thank you

Yes you can. Use an Eye-fi Mobi card. Set the card to ignore raw files but to transfer Jpegs. Set the S to shoot Raw and Small Jpeg. Connect your iPad to the wifi network that your Eye-fi card is creating. 

As you shoot, the jpegs will stream to the the Eye-fi Mobi App on your iPad. Perfectly fine for checking focus and exposure. The Raw files will remain on your card for later editing. I use this method quite a lot and besides the occasional wifi drop and re-connect ... it works fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And unfortunately, neither are many of their recent hardware and software design folks, notably on the desktop side.   :(

Jeff

I disagree with that. I know many of the hardware and software engineers personally (I've worked at Apple for most of the past twenty-five years) and many are excellent, very knowledgeable, and very skilled photographers. I personally do all my work on macOS and iOS systems and have not had any difficulties whatever using all my equipment as it was designed to be used, with good performance and excellent results. 

They are, of course, designing hardware and software for a general purpose computing system, not dedicated camera support equipment.

What are you really intimating, Jeff? 

Edited by ramarren

The focus now is on mobile, not desktop.  Could be an issue of priority rather than expertise, but the impact on users is the same.  Apple used to win hands-down for desktop elegance, user interaction and responsiveness to issues compared to Windows.....that gap has closed substantially.  My friends, more versed in the technology than I, each express the same, and I'm told the same about knowledgable folks like Jon Cone (from Piezography fame).

One of the biggest benefits of my adopting ImagePrint for printing out of LR on my Mac to my Epson is to avoid all the issues that now invariably crop up with new interations from one or the other.....from Apple, from Adobe and/or from Epson.....things inevitably get screwed up, like the color management issues from a few years ago.  I had another issue when Apple took its good old time (over 6 months) dealing with NEC on its SpectraView software to keep up with the new O/S.  Apple used to be on top of all of things desktop.

When my 2009 Mac desktop eventually breaks, I'm not sure what direction I'll head.  I don't see Thunderbolt as a great thing....and Apple's direction is to force the use of peripherals for everything.  Elegant looking, perhaps, but no longer elegant from a user perspective IMHO.  Oh, and it now costs a fortune for it all.  

And no offense to you or your friends....I'm sure they're smart folks.  But the culture or focus seems to have changed....if not that, then surely the products.  YMMV.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1