Leica 28mm f2 or 2.8

Steve Ricoh

All Leica lenses have brass focusing helicals as far as i know but i may be wrong. As far as the 28/2.8 asph ls concerned, my copy's helicals look darker due to black grease whereas those of my 28/2 v1 & v2 have a brighter look but all are brass made IMHO. 

• Like 2

All Leica lenses have brass focusing helicals as far as i know but i may be wrong. As far as the 28/2.8 asph ls concerned, my copy's helicals look darker due to black grease whereas those of my 28/2 v1 & v2 have a brighter look but all are brass made IMHO.

Thank you very much. I'm only looking at images on my iPad, but your explanation could explain things. Surprising mind you why the 2.8 has dark grease, enough to change the appearance. However I'd imagine all Leica lenses have the same amount of grease and it's just the composition that's changed. When I look at my 50/f1.4 and 35/f2, both appear to have bright brass helicals and if they have any grease it's virtually unnoticeable. I thought brass was chosen due to its 'self lubricating' properties, or is that just a fallacy.

Now, should I go for the f2.8 or the f2, decisions, decisions...

Edited by Steve Ricoh

I have not all my lenses here but some dark helicals are due to grease (21/3.4, 28/2.8 asph v1, 90/4 macro), while others are bright brass (35/2 asph v1, 28/2 v1 & v2, 50/1.4 asph, 50/2.8 v2) or black coloured (21/3.4 asph, 35/1.4 FLE), i have no idea why. As for 28mm lenses, you cannot go wrong with either current Leicas. The only significant differences, besides cost and aperture, are larger physical size and slightly less contrasty rendition of 28/2 v1 & v2. If i had to keep one i would choose the 28/2 v2 but i would miss the smaller size of the 28/2.8 asph v1 (no experience with 28/1.4 nor 28/2.8 asph v2). 

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

f/2 or 2.8 .......is where it gets personal.   cost,size/weight  vs: 1 stop ?

For me I don't shoot in low light much anymore. Ive been using 2.8 lenses for years upon years and very happy . Not too many situations where another stop would have made a difference....especially with a wide angle.

For me size and weight wins at least with w/a....but that just me;-)

f/2 or 2.8 .......is where it gets personal. cost,size/weight vs: 1 stop ?

For me I don't shoot in low light much anymore. Ive been using 2.8 lenses for years upon years and very happy . Not too many situations where another stop would have made a difference....especially with a wide angle.

For me size and weight wins at least with w/a....but that just me;-)

I will vote for 2.8. In well lit indoors with ISO3200 it is very much usable. And going forward, sensors are going to get much better anyway.

Disclaimer: I had elmarit that I sold for cron but now I regret the decision. Miss the small size. I am sticking with cron since I have bonded with it.

Edited by jmahto

The first thought is, always go for the fastest lens I can afford.
Its faster it must be better ? What if I need it and don't have that extra f/stop?
Now a days I want my kit as light weight as It can be...
If a lens is too heavy I'll think twice before choosing to take it along.
I'd rather the focal length be with me, I'll make whatever f stop it is work.
.......within my personal style of shooting.

f/2 or 2.8  Will you mind the weight?  Can you make better use of the 2K$ you will save?

in full disclosure my 35mm is a 2. my 50mm is a 2. my 90mmis a 2.8 small and light weight

Generally I have no need for fast expensive lenses.

I wouldnt mind trying out a 50mm .95 and ND filter ......but I doubt it wood suit my everyday shooting style

I have a 50mm 1.4 for a Nikon that gets almost no use.......then again neither does the Nikon Body :)

Edited by ECohen

Since the lens will be used mainly on the street at f8 (and be there), I think the f2.8 will be more than adequate.

Actually my query in the opening post was about the material of the helical of the 2.8 Elmarit cf the f2 Summicron. I noticed in online adverts, most if not all of the Elmarits I looked at seemed to have black helicals, whereas the Summicrons were bright brass. The reply received from member lct indicates that all Leica lenses have brass helicals, the different appearances is due to the colour of the grease applied. However for it to be noticeable, it suggests the manufacturer is applying quite a bit of grease, and I must say I'm a bit surprised with thoughts of unwanted migration inside the camera.

The helical is brass on the elmarit. Sideways it is black but it's not because of the grease. Looks like it's some kind of laminate over brass, but the brass slowly appears with use over time.

Seen from top (where the camera's focus roller is in contact with the lens), the same part isn't black but brass.

That part is completely brass even though it is plated black on the helicoids. Teflon or something similar.

Since the lens will be used mainly on the street at f8 (and be there), I think the f2.8 will be more than adequate.

Actually my query in the opening post was about the material of the helical of the 2.8 Elmarit cf the f2 Summicron. I noticed in online adverts, most if not all of the Elmarits I looked at seemed to have black helicals, whereas the Summicrons were bright brass. The reply received from member lct indicates that all Leica lenses have brass helicals, the different appearances is due to the colour of the grease applied. However for it to be noticeable, it suggests the manufacturer is applying quite a bit of grease, and I must say I'm a bit surprised with thoughts of unwanted migration inside the camera.

Edited by NB23
  • Like 1

You cannot go wrong with either the Summicron 28 or the Elmarit 28; both are outstanding lenses.  I have the Elmarit (#11677) and an very pleased with it.  This little lens is razor sharp and contrasty; it gives you outstanding image quality. 

The Elmarit weighs 6.3 oz., the Summicron 9.5 oz.  The Summicron causes some viewfinder blockage, which some users moan about.  I never found this to be much of a problem when I owned my 2003 birth date Summicron 28.  The 2003 vintage Summicron lens was outstanding in its own way but offered a different fingerprint than the Elmarit; the Summicron was not as sharp and contrasty as the Elmarit.  I found it to be sharp but with a hint of silkiness in the rendering.  At middle apertures, the lens lost most if not all of this silky fingerprint and sharpened up noticeably.  Contrast was very good and color rendition was accurate and saturated.

At 28mm, depth of field is so deep that bokeh is less of a consideration than with 50 mm and longer lenses.  If you are shooting film a lot, the extra stop that the Summicron offers is a good thing.  On the M240 it is less of an issue.  On the Monochrom 246, the extra stop it is pretty much a non-issue with the 246's maximum ISO of 25,000.

For street photography, I would get the Elmarit f/2.8 and save the $1800 price difference that the Summicron will cost you, particularly if you are shooting with an M240, M-P 240 or Monochrom 246. 

For street photography with a film M and ISO 400 film, f/2.8 will be adequate up till after sunset when the light starts to die off; that's been my experience.  At that point, a monopod and slower shutter speeds can buy back a stop (or perhaps as much as  two) of light collecting ability.

Edited by Carlos Danger

I'm leaning towards the 28/2.8 due tho the small size for street work. I'm finding the 35/f2 just that bit too long for getting close.

I have owned and used the 28 f2 v 1 and the 28 f2.8 asph and currently have and love the Elmarit 2.8 v 4 (pre-asph). I did find that the the smaller aspheric 2.8 handles really well but the overall package, considering the size of the M bodies is what it is and given it's not going to fit your pocket. The Elmarit pre -asph is not that large and renders beautifully across the frame and it is not as contrasty as the newer lens.

David

• Like 1

I don't currently have a 28mm, but I looked at my 50mm 1.4 ASPH and it also has a "Black" internal focusing ring. It is not grease. The brass internal focusing ring is threaded into an aluminum sleeve that has an inside thread. This is sound practice because different metals don't gall or seize up. (think of aluminum on aluminum filter ring adapters). The outside of the aluminum sleeve is ANODIZED black to eliminate reflections, and this will not come off. 

I have owned and used the 28 f2 v 1 and the 28 f2.8 asph and currently have and love the Elmarit 2.8 v 4 (pre-asph). I did find that the the smaller aspheric 2.8 handles really well but the overall package, considering the size of the M bodies is what it is and given it's not going to fit your pocket. The Elmarit pre -asph is not that large and renders beautifully across the frame and it is not as contrasty as the newer lens.

David

Agree 100%, just a wonderful lens design, a Mandler tweak that really works. Great image quality with the "classic" look available at bargain prices in the used market.

Just love my Ver 4 on anything, but particularly my Monochrom   B)

• Like 1

Agree 100%, just a wonderful lens design, a Mandler tweak that really works. Great image quality with the "classic" look available at bargain prices in the used market.

Just love my Ver 4 on anything, but particularly my Monochrom   B)

Hah, thank you for that. To think since recently acquiring my Monochrom in August, I've yet to put the 28 v4 on it.  Lenses sometimes rotate and since July, my 28 had been sitting (from overuse :)  I will for sure take it for a spin this week on my M9M!

David