Is anybody going to try to suggest what this is?

pgk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica T with 60mm R lens. Object is about 20mm long. Anyone want to try to figure out what it is? Illuminated from below with a dark ground - not a cut out.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK, whilst it looks like a shell, its actually a calcareous plate from a Goose Barnacle (a crustacean) which is quite a different thing. These are found worldwide and are very delicate as they are actually quite thin. This one came from a barnacle attached to flotsam which had washed up on a Welsh beach (north Llyn). The barnacle had rotted away and I cleaned the plate with H2O2 which does a good job. Such things fascinate me because they have probably travelled huge distances before ending their days far from the place where the flotsam originated.

• Like 2

An expert scientist friend tells me that this plate appears to be from Lepas anatifera. He is now intrigued by the formation of the 'growth rings' which I suppose goes to show that images can still reveal interesting aspects of objects.

• Like 1